Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • winter training wheels – road
  • jet26
    Free Member

Need some new wheels for winter/commuter bike.

Had aksiums previously which weren’t bad for the money if a little flexy. Seems best option either more aksiums, some open pro rims on hope pro 3’s or seen some 2010 kysriums cheap at merlin.

Any thoughts on the above/alternatives?

Weight not an issue within reason – bombproof and hardwearing main concern.

will
    Free Member

Kysriums at merlin. End of.

jet26
    Free Member

Probably true but any other thoughts?

kilo

open sport on tiagra or 105? – good enough for training

lazybike
    Free Member

Fulcram 5’s…

stufive
    Free Member

askium’s?

chief9000
    Free Member

I have fulcrum Racing 7s for the winter. Pretty robust. Had them a few years now and still roll smoothly and are still true.

MoreCashThanDash

Depends how light and sexy you want them to be, but my old Fulcrum 7s were great, and I’ve been impressed with the Shimano R501s now, think they can be found for £90 a pair if you dig around, bargain!

BristolPablo
    Free Member

I had fulcrum 7s which were way better than expected for the price but pretty heavy. They roll well though and took a lot of abuse.

As for custom builds, I’d probaby go for dt swiss rr 585 on 105 hubs.

oldgit
    Free Member

I loathe my Askiums. Heavy and flexible and terrible at low speeds in cross winds. That said they’ve been faultless.
    Next on the trainer will be some sort of Mavic on some sort of hub, Shimano or Hope. Infinitely rebuildable and available in front or rear only.

lunge

Some nice looking Ulterga’s at Planet X for about £275, not a bad option I would imagine.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Hope on Open sports.Hubs go forever and the rims are £25.

DT78
    Free Member

have been very happy with my pro-lite braccano;s this winter, bought to keep the cosmic carbones shiny.

had a huge brown trouser moment last ride, hit a massive pot hole at 40mph in the dark puncturing the front. Horrible sound from bike, genuinely thought I was going to die. Managed to hold it together and incredibly not a scratch on the wheel, not even out of true. Would defintely buy again….

Gutterball
    Free Member

Apologies for the blatant opportunism – my ad here

Even if you’re not interested, I’d certainly recommend the Open Pro/Novatec combo. Only getting rid of these as I have a Powertap built onto some Velocity A23s now.

jet26
    Free Member

Thanks for input all. Open pros seem a good option as easy to replace/ rebuild as needed.

Light and sexy not much of a concern. They are for the winter trainer only.

jet26
    Free Member

Gutterball drop me a mail. Might be persuaded.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I use Planet x Al 30s, great wheels for the money
    Was going to build some open pro on 105 but ot was much cheaper to go with the factory builds; more aero too.

Bazz

Woah, seems like one mans winter wheels is another mans sunday best, if you have a tight budget then Fulcrum racing 7’s are hard to beat for the cash, heavy? yes but absolutely bombproof in my experience.

TiRed

Open pros, Sapim spokes and the hubs of your choice. My fixed wheelset have been bombproof and reasonably light – a lot lighter than the stock fixie wheels, anyway. About £280 delivered from Harry Rowland.

aracer
    Free Member

open sport on tiagra or 105? – good enough for training

+1 why spend more on training wheels?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘winter training wheels – road’ is closed to new replies.