Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Bike in the house or outside…?
  • neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Thinking of moving in with the gf. All is good but my bikes have always lived in the house. She thinks they should live in the shed…!!! FFS

Does your bike live inside or out.?

simon_g

Both mine and her bikes live on a couple of stands in the spare room (they take up most of one wall, but very little floor space). It’s fine as long as they’re (fairly) clean before bringing them back in.

My ropey old nipping-to-the-shops singlespeed lives outside though.

grahamh
    Free Member

Indoors, no where to store them outside.

Oggles
    Free Member

Good bike is in my room at uni, covered in gloop. My SS is back at home in the garage, where all the bikes are kept.

When I get my own place they will be kept indoors!!!

naokfreek
    Free Member

Inside under the stairs with lots of other bits out the way, three of the 4 in the house are bikers so its cool…

druidh
    Free Member

Does a shed really count as “outside”?

Hairychested
    Free Member

I had a lovely Specialized SX (Mk.1) nicked from a supposedly secure shed. Since, all the bikes are indoors. And will remain here (unles I get a detached house with a bunker for a garage).

crazy-legs

Inside. Always.
    The only time its ever caused a problem is when I was at uni and hall regulations stated that bikes weren’t allowed in rooms (they were a fire hazard apparently!). I got round it by sticking it in a bike bag. In my final year (uni-owned house but same regs) I had an MTB stood on one wheel at the end of my bed and tied to the waterpipe to stabilise it, with the road bike tucked under my desk, both wheels off.
    There’s always space for a bike inside.

soma_rich
    Free Member

I will not leave my bikes outside in my neck of the woods. My wife is not amused 🙂
    This is our bedroom:

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Mine are in the garage but for years my suffering Mother complained about them living in the house after the first set got stolen!!
    Now though I’m not bothered abotu them living outside as long as they have decent locks etc, remember if someone wants to steal them they will put a lot of effort in to get them no matter where they are stored!

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Bikes stay in the house where they are warm and dry. I’ll admit the house suffer from it.

carlphillips
    Free Member

garaged for me

simondbarnes

Always inside.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

In the garage. I took my road bike into town the other day and locked it outside. I felt as if everyone was a potential bike thief!

djglover
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these. It does fit 3 bikes in

alpin
    Free Member

in the comunual cellar. need a key to get into cellar but both bike are chained together at the back out of sight.

they will eventually reside on the wall, like living piece of art, in the living room or bed room or hall or above dinner table. it depends how many bikes i have at that point.

but here in south germany bike theft isn’t a massive problem. i have no qualms about locking up the fixed bike in the middle of munich with a code lock. wouldn’t lock the mtb up with that though, i’d prob use the big key lock as the bike is a bit more shiny and new.

loddrik
    Free Member

In the house, upstairs. How many times do we read ‘bikes stolen’ threads from people who leave them in the garage or shed.
    No way in hell would I ever do that.

Kahurangi

1st to reply OUTSIDE!

not really space indoors. Rented so will have to pay for the inevitable damage. 3rd floor. blah blah.

2 bikes locked to railing in communal garden area.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Indoors, but I’d like some more info on that thing you’ve got djglover if you could be so kind?

nickc

Shed

thomthumb
    Free Member

Been put off keeping them inside (not an option at the moment anyway) by the guy who got woken up in bed with a shotgun being held in his face and a demand to unlock the bikes!

Posted on the forum roughly a year ago.

keyses2

Mr Nutt – I’ve got one of those sheds that djglover has aswell, got it from Trimetals (I think) (should be able to Google it). The lift up lid can be locked shut and I put a homemade locking post inside it made of 2 inch box (with round bar inside which should slow down angle grinders) and concreted in.

tails
    Free Member

thomthumb who was that on this forum?

Taff
    Free Member

I’ve always had mine indoors. Bought a house at the start of the year and now they’re outside in the WORKSHOP! Well shed out back!

brakes
    Free Member

2 inside, one outside
    none of them are as secure as they could be

coffeeking
    Free Member

I have two in the cupboard inside, one in the spare room and two in the shed. Time for a new missus methinks…

Onzadog
    Free Member

Integral garage, house before. I would never leave them in a shed. You might need to question if she really understands you properly!

konakulakid
    Free Member

ive got 4 inside,2 in kitchen,1 in hallway,an i in living room,an i live in a flat!

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Most used bikes stay inside – cheaper / less used bikes in the shed.

B

will
    Free Member

2 inside at uni, in the cellar, which is hard to find lol, and 1 back in a garage at home.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Inside

Junkyard
    Free Member

outside (in a shed .. they are insured) most expensive things i own and easiest to steal (that is portable) .. if they target me for the bikes rather they steal from my back garden than break in my house where i am the wife is and my kids are.
    That said lot and lots of locks and a ground anchor etc would need power tools and about 10 minutes to get them though. NOt for the opportunist thief and not a high crime area.

http://www.trimetals.co.uk/bicycle-storage.php?m=4&g=9
    that bike shed but £460 at the minute and that is a Special offer!!!!

stumpy01

Outside in a shed….I’m not overly happy about it, but we really don’t have room inside for any bikes.
    The area we live in seems OK from a theft point of view, although they are looking at putting a couple of traveller sites nearby. If that happens, I will be buying a LARGE ground anchor and some cement.

I have a D-Lock and long piece of cable, but rarely use it. One day I will wake up and my Stumpjumper will be gone and her indoorses Spesh Myka will be gone and I will kick myself.
    Then I will justify buying a Zesty and all will be OK.

kona_uk
    Free Member

All mine are indoors in the spare room, I have a garage, but its not secure and I feel safer/happier with them in the house.

BUT they do have to be clean before entering the house 🙂

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Bike in the house or outside…?’ is closed to new replies.