Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • BIG THANKYOU PARAMEDICS AND AIR AMBULANCE, TODAY, WIRRAL
  • project
    Free Member

Driving back home this afternoon along Birkenhead road, Willaston, approaching car flashes us, so we slow down, round corner is a cyclist standing at the side of road,with what looked like a broken snapped front wheel, the wheel was bent double.

Imediately stopped to offer a lift home,on geting out there was another cyclsist lying on the grass verge, cuts to arm and face and legs and in serious pain.

Offer dust sheets to cover him up and keep him warm, paramedics arrive and start treatment in an extremely proffesional way, his fellow cycling buddies who where enjoying another coffee at the cafe then arrive shocked.

Followed by the air ambulance,which landed in the adjacent field.

Quite a bit of damage to his helmet and deep scratches on his cycling glases,and gloves they probably saved him from more serious damage.

So like the title says, big THANKYOU to the air ambulance crew, the Dr, 2 paramedics and 2 cyclists that helped slow the traffic down.

eskay

They do a great job and you never know when you may need them, which is why it always amazes me when they get attacked in certain areas of some cities. But there again I guess the only treatment for some people is to be put down. Probably a law against that though.

pacef8
    Free Member

Bad news, I hope they are ok, are they in a local club if you know?

scaredypants

what had happened to the cyclist in the first place ?

… and, yeah, emergency services are great. Hope we get to keep them

project
    Free Member

He accidently caught the wheel of the cyclist in front, over the bars and hit the road,front wheel aluminium folded in half.Lovely road bike.

Please always carry a bin bag or foil blanket with you, it will keep you dry and warm incase of an off, and weighs nothing, it was a warmish day today, buy lying on a grasss verge for 45 minutes plus its going to be cold.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Wondered what was happening when I came past around 3:30pm. I was the bloke in the dark grey Hyundai with 4 bike racks on the roof who turned around and checked with the older couple that all was OK (just as a couple of cars were collecting the bikes I guess).

Hope all concerned are OK.

project
    Free Member

Ah i think it was a grey car that flashed us and we stopped, the rider was airlifted to Aintree hospital.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Wasn’t me, I think I just saw the aftermath. Rare to see Willaston mentioned on this forum. Nice village, but little in the way of mountain biking beyond a few bridleways.

br
    Free Member

Please always carry a bin bag or foil blanket with you, it will keep you dry and warm incase of an off, and weighs nothing, it was a warmish day today, buy lying on a grasss verge for 45 minutes plus its going to be cold.

Yep. I always carry one (hangover from backpacking), and a first aid kit.

Coyote
    Free Member

After 1st hand experience of the Ambulance service on Sunday for my daughter I’d just like to add my undying gratitude and if any medics on here ever meet me* I owe you a beer.
    *This will never happen as this is the Internet and none of us are real**
    **Oh shit. 🙁

project
    Free Member

Drove out the same route today, the chap was so lucky he didnt fall under a vehicle,still shocked at his injuries and the total ignorance of a lot of motorists who drove past at speed.

surfer
    Free Member

How bad are his injuries?

Live only a mile or 2 from there cycle that route regulalrly

project
    Free Member

Numerous cuts and bruising,probably broken arm and or shoulder, bash to helmet and glasses was in quite a bit of pain.

fourbanger
    Free Member

No half wheeling would be a good lesson learnt.

globalti
    Free Member

In windy conditions the effect of a tow can be quite dramatic and you can easily catch up with the rider in front. A gust of side-wind can then cause your wheels to collide.

justme
    Free Member

I know I spout about it everytime theres a post like this but —
    The air ambulance is not publicly funded and depends on donations so instead of saying you owe them a pint put the price of a pint towards it as a monthly standing order and they will be able to continue to pick us up and get us to hospital when we are broken.
    If you like look at it as insurance
    G

johnikgriff
    Free Member

I read this the other day with passing intrest as I’m from the Wirral and only live in Chester.

Just found out this morning that the injuries party is a good friend of mine.

Chris is a good rider (normally), but can’t remember much about what happened, he had a CT scan when he got to hospital and is okay other than his smashed arm. The Ironey is he crashed not far from where he is stationed as a paramedic and has himself attended many an RTA involving cyclists. Luckly for him one of his fellow riders was a work mate and when it was proving difficult to get a regular ambulance quickly enough was able to raise the air ambulance.

I know Chris has raised money for them in the past, I’m guessing ill be getting a sponsor form from him once he’s of the meds.

project
    Free Member

Glad he is ok, his helmet and glases took a good bang as did his front wheel which was in half.

There was a big cross wind there,gusting.

Ps can we have our sheets back please.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

I’ll ask him.

project
    Free Member

any update on his injuries.

A few more cyclists knocked off bikes around wirral liverpool in last few weeks so he isnt alone.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

He was home the next day and by some miracle not as badly hurt as first thought. Nothing really broken (smashed arm report from wife proved incorrect)., just beaten up. All good now and picking out his new bike, I’ve told him to go for knobbly tires as he can’t be trusted on the road 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘BIG THANKYOU PARAMEDICS AND AIR AMBULANCE, TODAY, WIRRAL’ is closed to new replies.