• This topic has 21 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by NZCol.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Big Scottish Rides Without (much) Hike a Bike
  • DrT
    Free Member

Im slowly getting some bike fitness back and looking for inspiration for big xc days out in the hills, the caveat though is minimum hike a bike as my ms means that while I can sit and spin the pedals for hours on end I can’t walk too far without my leg packing in so my days of dragging bikes through bogs and up climbs where being roped up would have been sensible are gone.

So inspire me with your favourite big Scottish non hike-a-bikey rides?

bruneep

now or spring/summer? what area Scotland is rather a large area

scotroutes

Glen Kinglass from Bridge of Orchy through to Taynuilt.

Great Glen Way

Fort Augustus via the Corrieyairack to the Cairngorms then to the sea via the Dava Way or Speyside Way

Rob Roy Way (but start at Milngavie).

Aviemore to Tomintoul (and back). PLus loads more stuff round the Cairngorms.

A loop round Loch Affric.

I’ve written up some these – and others – on my blog (click on my username)

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Ggw is long. Good climbing and can easily be done on a cross bike.

tomd
    Free Member

The area around Dunkeld, Pitlochry and Blair Altholl has a lot to offer for decent day rides without hike a bike. Loch Bhac from Pitlochry is a personal favourite, there are many variations of the route. There is loads in that area, very much worth getting a map and exploring.

Southern Uplands – plenty big days out to be had. Leadhills taking in the Enterkin Pass from the golf ball and Drumlanrig. Something down south of Melrose venturing into Northumbria (you can get pretty high up in this area). Around Selkirk is great, pick up one of the old routes for the Selkirk Marathon.

honeybadgerx

Glen Tilt is a good one, either an up and down scenic XC route or going out to the east and making it into more of a loop.

kcr
    Free Member

If you want a really big day (or days) out, the Cairngorm loop is almost completely rideable, other than some minor river crossings. NB I’m referring to the classic 200km Aviemore, Tomintoul, Braemar, Blair Atholl, Gaick, Aviemore loop, not the ITT route which is longer and has some hikey bits.

kcal

and I’ll add in my personal favourite – some hike a bike but only – really some pushing up out of Glen Briar and across Feshie watershed – Minigaig loop… 50/60 miles IIRC – 25 yards of tarmac 🙂

DrT
    Free Member

Lots of good stuff, keep them coming.

Bruneep, I’m central Scotland based so stuff I can get to and back in a day ideal, however I will also be up near Glenlivet next month and in torridon in summer.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Arran Mtb club do an end to end every year, usually August. Means maybe 75 mins on the road to get to most northerly point, then off road all the way from there to most southerly point. Finishes in an awesome beer garden. Email me if ye want a copy of the route – works out about 80k

househusband

Arran Mtb club do an end to end every year, usually August. Means maybe 75 mins on the road to get to most northerly point, then off road all the way from there to most southerly point. Finishes in an awesome beer garden. Email me if ye want a copy of the route – works out about 80k

Just dropped you an email – I’d be interested too!

CraigW
    Free Member

Up north, you can go from Loch Glascarnoch, towards Glen Calvie and Alladale. Then out towards Ardgay, or down Strath Rusdale to Alness. This is a one way route, so you would probably want to arrange transport back.

+1 for the Great Glen Way. The new ‘high route’ sections are nice – some big hills, but should all be ridable.
    Also the South Loch Ness Trail – it could be linked with the Great Glen Way for a big circuit of Loch Ness.

chickenman

Somebody enjoys the Feshie watershed? Frustration might keep you from falling asleep from boredom but it’s a close call. IMO, of course!!! 😀

DrT
    Free Member

Sent you an email nobeer. Never ridden on Arran before.

AlasdairMc

The Capital Trail is almost all rideable, just the push onto Gypsy Glen and the one onto the Lammermuirs that stick out as memorable but there are a few others. Melrose is doable in a day with a train trip back, or the full route will go over a couple of good days.

Glentress from Edinburgh is also completely rideable, I’ve got my route sorted now to maximise the good trails and avoiding the bad. I last rode it in perhaps October on a Friday night – a great trip.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Alasdair, what would yer route be from Edinburgh to Melrose off-road – my sis lives in gattonside and it’d be a good out and back to see her and kip over.

chickenman

Dalwhinnie via Culra bothy to Ben Alder cottage (or as far as you want)and back the same route. The well publicised lollipop route of Beallach Bawbag is really not worth the pain.

DrT
    Free Member

Cheers Al, did gala back to Edinburgh late last year but climbed from innerleithen up leithen water to the mast at gt rather than going over gypsy Glen. Been looking at the route down to Melrose in the capital trail and will probably do that later this year.

DrT
    Free Member

Chickenman, done the Ben alder loop before and the climb to Bealach Breabag would definately be outside my no hike a bike limits these days!

kcal

Somebody enjoys the Feshie watershed?

chickenman – true, true, there are no easy routes across, when sry-ish its bearable, in wet conditions yuk. But I see it as necessary evil to join two parts of the route. At least you don’t have to carry bike across heather, its just not really rideable for a chunk 🙂

kcr
    Free Member

If you are trying to avoid hike a bike, I’d say the bit up to Gypsy Glen on the Capital trail was a tough push.

NZCol

Alasdair – what route do you use ?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Big Scottish Rides Without (much) Hike a Bike’ is closed to new replies.