Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Big grippy winter 29er tyre
  • Paceman
    Free Member

I’m after a big grippy winter 29er tyre to run on the front once the mud sets back in for the winter. I ride southern rooty woodland singletrack so not bothered about performance on rocks etc. I’ll be pairing up with a 2.0 Maxxis Beaver on the rear, but i’m after something with a little more volume on the front.

Schwalbe Hans Damph is an option.

Any recommendations?

Keef
    Free Member

mud x .

Stoner
    Free Member

I find stouts can hook up on teflon coated air. But a bit heavy, draggy (you dont want them on the back) and TBH I use them mainly for rockiness in wales but they’re great on roots too.

If I was in the market for a new winter tyre Id probably look at Hans dampfs too. But for now I have two part worn Stouts which will last me a while.

Paceman
    Free Member

Keef,

I’ve tried Mud-X’s and prefer Maxxis Beavers. Similar performance but the Beavers are lighter and work better in mixed conditions in my opinion. What i’m after is something bigger and super-grippy for the front once the roots and gloop take hold in the woods.

A Stout might be an option to consider, don’t know much about them though.

Naranjada
    Free Member

I haven’t tried these but the Specialized Purgatory look suitable, have generally reviewed well and at £54 for a pair of tubeless tyres are pretty good value.

Think I’ll be putting these on my yet to be built Turner Sultan once I’ve taken the plunge and bought a pair of wheels.

tang
    Free Member

Hans dampf or 2.35 nobby nic?

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Both Purgatory and Damph are great fronts although the former clears mud a little better. A 2.3 version of the Purgatory is due out in October too 😀

mcboo
    Free Member

Why not stick a Beaver on the front? I’ve got one about to go on the back, might get one for the front if things get claggy. Used mud-x 1.8s for years on my old 26″ both ends, never felt like I needed more volume on the front for my stuff which sounds similar to your riding…..

Shred
    Free Member

I’m trying a Bontrager 29-4 2.3 as a front tyre this winter.

Moda
    Free Member

I like to run a similar set up here…

I have been running both the Bonty 29-4 and the purgatory, was not a big fan of either in muddy rooty conditions on the front. These I was using earlier in the year during our extended wet spell… Now i have been using the Hans Dampf and in slightly moist onditions at Whiteways 3 or 4 weeks back its seemed to behave rather well but no doubt the real test will come soon once the wet weather sets in again and the lovely roots of Stanmer come into there own…

jameso

A 2.3 version of the Purgatory is due out in October too

Good stuff. I like those tyres in 2.2 when it gets too damp for 2.4 ardents, would use them more if there was a bigger front option. I wish they’d bring in the 2.4 Purgatory 29er into the UK.

ocrider

A 2.3 version of the Purgatory is due out in October too

I bought one for my front wheel earlier this month from an lbs for €27. Worth every penny and the change IMO. Definately won’t go any wider than 2.2 on the back of my Scandal though.

Clink

Nobby Nic – rubbish in mud on front – in my experience anyway. HD is good and 2nd opinions on Stout if you can still get them?

Paceman
    Free Member

I think I might stick with the Maxxis Beavers front and back for now and see how they cope. I’ve also got a 2.2 29er Purgatory somewhere in the shed which might be worth a punt in the mud up front, with the Baever on the rear.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Where can Purgatory’s be bought from?

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Paceman, I ride Northern rooty woodland and found the Beavers perfect, personally I found them a different class to Mud X tires

Keef
    Free Member

if Mud-x’s aint grippy enough,then try Nates……….

bonesetter
    Free Member

SCHWALBE Hans Dampf 2.35

Paceman
    Free Member

SCHWALBE Hans Dampf 2.35

Going to take a punt on a super-tacky 2.35 Trailstar Hans Dampf up front, paired with a 2.0 Maxxis Beaver on the rear.

Will report back in due course 😀

bonesetter
    Free Member

I’m thinking of going for one too, well it’s between that and the Puratory 2.3 (due out soon).

The 2.1 version has got universal positive review, is durable and alot less expensive than the HD…

Paceman
    Free Member

The Spesh Purgatory 29er is definitiely better value for money, but i’m hoping the super-tacky Trailstar compound on the 2.35 Hans Dampf is worth the extra money when the winter slip-sliding begins 😉

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I’ve been using a Stout on the front of my HT (with a ProwlerXT on the rear) for a while – very reliable feel in all conditions IMO. But not sure they are still available.

Just bought some Damp Hands for my FS. I’ll let you know when I’ve ridden them for a few months, but friends rate them highly.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Hi,
    Currently using a Beaver on the back and a Rocket Ron 2:25 on the front.It has quite big volume on a crest and seems to be coping well with mud and rocks! Pretty light as well.
    Thanx,
    Max

thomthumb
    Free Member

geax gato. working for me so far…

bonesetter
    Free Member

I’ve ran the Bontrager 29-4 with very good results

daveells
    Free Member

Mountain king 2 ,like em remind me of narrow Nates

Paceman
    Free Member

2.35 Hans Dampf arrived today, certainly looks grippy! Will report back once tested this week.

bonesetter
    Free Member

You using it front or back?

Paceman
    Free Member

29er 2.35 Hans Dampf on the front & 2.0 Maxxis Beaver on the rear 😀

bonesetter
    Free Member

Haven’t seen the Beaver till now – looks impressive from all the positive feedback. Sorta reminds me of a Fire XC Pro but with a more spaced out pattern, and looks like the Maxis would roll better too.

Seems a tiny bit narrow though. I usually like a bit more width, for cush mainly. You been happy with it?

Paceman
    Free Member

The Beaver is more like a Bontrager Mud-X, but rolls faster and works better in dry/intermediate conditions. I ran them front and back during the crazy summer conditions we had this year and they performed in everything from fresh slick mud after a downpour, to bone dry super-dusty trails.

I’m going to leave the Beaver on the back, and try the Hans Dampf for nuclear-level root grip this winter… well thats the plan 😐

Paceman
    Free Member

Very impressed so far with 2.35 Schwalbe Hans Dampf on the front and 2.0 Maxxis Beaver on the rear 😀

Gotama
    Free Member

Interesting. I found the dampf average at best in the mud. Clogged very easily and seems to squirm with no real feedback to how much grip you’ve got. Compound is good on wet roots though. Dicked around with pressures too.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got Purgatory’s F&R, can’t complain for the usual Swinley, Tunnel Hill and Surrey Hills riding. Not an outright mud tyre, but they do work in mud and drier trails as well, whereas Storm’s and Mud-X suffer on completely dry trails (IMO).

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Big grippy winter 29er tyre’ is closed to new replies.