Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Bibshorts, what brand?
  • leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

In the market for some new do-everything (road & mtb) bibshorts, but not sure which brand to go for.

The usual requirements: Comfy, flat seams, good insert, wash/wear well, leg grippers that don’t hurt like buggery… Budget under £100.

I know a lot of these are very personal but would like to hear your personal faves to sway my decision…

dunmail
    Free Member

The Wiggle in-house brand DHB aren’t bad, don’t last as long as “top brands” but not far off.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Well the ones that work the best for me are:

Craft Performance Shorts
    Link
    Altura Progel
    Link
    Morvelo
    Link

All pads work as well as each other but the finish and comfort on the craft and Morvelo are excellent and worth paying the extra for. but the alturas are a bargain.

It would be worth buying/trying on a few pairs to see fit. I’ve found a few brands where the pad wasn’t in the right place for me etc

hilldodger
    Free Member

My preference is Santini, usually whatever style Prendas on sale in my size!

Bibshorts

rewski
    Free Member

Morvelo have just launched their new range, best looking kit out there, IMO of course.

fathomer

Can’t say I’ve tried many but I really like my Endura FS260’s.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

I’m going to be trying a few brands on, but the choice in-store is surprisingly small. I guess that’s what it’s come to with online giants stealing all the business, and with high-value products in stock.

Want to buy some quality shorts, although my Endura 3/4 bibs are still going strong after about 10 years, although a bit warm in the summer. My last pair were some Santini on offer from Sport Pursuit, but the insert delaminated after only a few wears/washes.

ads678

I recently got some Addidas one that are very comfy, £35 from halfords.

The maddison ones are also nice, got mine (3/4’s) from Tredz, again about £35.

I don’t wear them for 100 mile epics though!!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Howies.

Thread closed.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

the new Endura FS260-SL look interesting, with the different pad widths and leg lengths.

My current faves are Giordana FRC but I think I’ll give the Enduras a go soon.

dazh

These fit in with my policy of not spending more than £50 on a pair of lycra shorts. Very nice they are too.

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/364/80034/funkier-bike-17-panel-active-bib-shorts.html

Mister-P
    Free Member

I find the pad in Pearl Izumi stuff fits my bum best. Their Attack 3/4 bibs are my road bike shorts of choice.

jkomo

Ordered the Santini Gara.
    Thanks
    My Pearl Izumi haver been great, but they’ve had better days.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Pearl Izumi was top of my list. Funny they’ve only got one mention so far…

I’m intrigued by Howie’s shorts, being more of a casual civvies type company. All their stuff is extremely well made though.

teamslug
    Free Member

FWIW Just bought some Endura FS260 pro’s. I really like them but then all endura gear is pretty damn good. Got funkier gel ones too but I think enduras are comfier. Decathlon top of range ones have a really good pad too. I have their winter longs with same pad and they are really comfy FOR ME. Its like saddles…no definitive answer on best.

IHN

Assos from the factory outlet site for less than £100

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Oooh straight in at the top! I like my gear but I’m not wearing Assos MTBing 😯

senorj

I use gore power .comfy & well in your budget.

one_bad_mofo

My new favourites are from Isadore, best shorts I’ve ever worn. Not cheap but worth the money.

lunge

The Decathlon 900 and 700 series shorts are very good. £40 ish, fit well and comfortable for 100 mile plus rides.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

How long or how many miles have you had the Decathlons for lunge? Have you had any falls in them?

Candodavid
    Free Member

+1 for howies seamless bibs, the comfiest shorts I’ve ever had my ass in

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

I don’t wear bibs on the MTB but for road I have castelli and Sportful. The castelli just pips the Sportful in terms of comfort but they are thinner so not great on colder days compared to the Sportful ones. Just look around and you can get their better sets for under £100 easily like I did.

mogrim

I like Specialized.

How long or how many miles have you had the Decathlons for lunge? Have you had any falls in them?

My previous Decathlon (top of range, still <70€ IIRC) were great; when it came to replace them I got some more – and I’m not sure what they’ve changed but they’re nothing like as comfortable. Purely personal experience of course, no two bums are alike. I ended up replacing them with some Specialized ones which are a lot more comfortable.

They lasted pretty well, got at least a couple of years out of them. Survived a couple of falls, although it’s pretty sandy round here and I didn’t hit any big rocks (fortunately!)

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I’ve found a few brands where the pad wasn’t in the right place for me etc

I’ve been trying to find a new set of shorts – evey pair I’ve tried on has the pad waaaay to forward, my sit bones on some aren’t actually on the pad (one pair of Enduras felt like I’d got them on back to front). My old Assos were fine, caouldn’t wear the new ones. Same for Sugoi etc. etc. – Pearl the next ones to tick off the list to try.

Has anyone else noticed that the pads seem to be further forward these days?

mogrim

Perhaps your bum is just expanding backwards? 😆

rewski
    Free Member

those bargain zipvit ones are holding up well.

headpotdog
    Free Member

Just bought a pair of the Funkier 17 panel bibs. They fit nicely, leg grippers don’t dig in & the pads excellent. Probably the best compliment I can pay them is that I don’t notice them while riding. Happy punter here 🙂

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Cheers guys!

LoCo
    Free Member

Favourite of mine are the cipollini ones which I think were around the £100 mark.

soma_rich
    Free Member

These are nice, been using them all week, and very compfy.
    http://www.d2dcyclingclothing.co.uk/product/bib-shorts/

IanW
    Free Member

Anything except Endura, they use disolving stitching in all their products.

mudshark
    Free Member

Hmm well sometimes they’re just wrong:

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/bend-in-the-road-proper-chamois-placement-is-key-39013/

AlasdairMc

I wore a pair of Gore 3/4 bibs through the entire HTR, washed after 4 days, and they were fantastic. Very comfy, contoured to the gentleman’s bits, and the tights kept my legs compressed in one piece.

CaptJon
    Free Member

I’d have said DHB last year, but the last pair i bought chaff too much. My Castelli bibs, however, are super comfortable.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i got a pair of the howies ones for my birthday last month and i would also say that they’re the most comfortable bib shorts I’ve ever worn.
    got a pair of morvelo ones on the way too though, so we’ll see if they take the crown…

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Shimano or Castelli on this bum.

Next pair will probably be Howies tho.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Anyone know if the Howies ones are UK made, or shipped in from the far east?

iainc

I had a thread on this the other week. I bought some Exteondo ones from Merlin and have been mighty impressed with how comfy they are – were on special too 🙂

DaveRambo

I’ve gradually been working my way up the price scale when it comes to shorts.

The more I’ve paid the better value I’ve thought they’ve been.
    Most recent purchase was a pair of Asos 3/4 bib shorts. Fit and comfort is the best.

Most ridden is a pair of Endura MT500 bibs – had them 5 wears, worn weekly and still as good as new.

Anything less than £50 wears out too quickly for me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Bibshorts, what brand?’ is closed to new replies.