Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 164 total)
  • Biased Broadcasting Corporation
  • Sandwich

Tragically the BBC needs us for support to dissuade government (of any shade) from interferring in their operations. They are sowing the seeds of their own destruction.

DrJ
    bigmountainscotland
    Free Member

The plot thickens…

ctk
    Free Member

Laura K blatantly pro Boris and anti Corbyn, she cant help it.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Whhhat? Is this factual? (BBC censor/cut studio audience laughing at PM?)

DrJ

I wonder if the BBC will be reporting this, given the national importance of anti-Semitism?

https://www.ipso.co.uk/rulings-and-resolution-statements/ruling/?id=01740-19

Decision of the Complaints Committee 01740-19 White v The Jewish Chronicle

Summary of complaint

1. Audrey White complained to the Independent Press Standards Organisation that The Jewish Chronicle breached Clause 1 (Accuracy), Clause 2 (Privacy) and Clause 3 (Harassment) of the Editors’ Code of Practice in the following articles:

bigmountainscotland
    Free Member

Given the video above, suprised Owen Jones hasn’t twigged that Jim Waterson is Jess Brammar’s squeeze:

This Jess Brammar (who also edited Newsnight for a bit and sits on the DSMA Committee)

DSMA

DrJ

And now Lying Laura is being investigated by the met for breaking electoral law by revealing postal vote trends.

willjones
    Free Member

This is worth a listen: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0004f5s

There was one bit in particular that jumped out for me, in that bias lies in lack of diversity, and that diversity isn’t just about race and gender, but education, viewpoints, perspectives, life experience and there is a direct conflict between journalistic standards and accommodating all of these (and more) angles. It’s a really interesting programme.

sparksmcguff

Laura Kuenssberg, the state of her!

outofbreath
    Free Member

Huw Edward’s take:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/ge19-from-presenters-chair-huw-edwards?articleId=6611994348559183872#comments-6611994348559183872&trk=public_profile_article_view

v8ninety called this correct from the start of this thread:

Whilst people at both ends of the political spectrum continue to loudly protest the the BBC are biased, I can’t help but think that they must be doing alright. Examples that ‘prove’ both positions are always available.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Hopefully Boris will get rid of the licence fee and unite both left and right behind him.

scotroutes

v8ninety called this correct from the start of this thread:

Whilst people at both ends of the political spectrum continue to loudly protest the the BBC are biased, I can’t help but think that they must be doing alright. Examples that ‘prove’ both positions are always available.

And I’ll repeat, it’s not about Left and Right. Folk who view it like that are missing the bigger picture.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

And I’ll repeat, it’s not about Left and Right. Folk who view it like that are missing the bigger picture.

This.

Pertinent following the preceding post which is typical of one who is a bit hard of critical thinking.

Interesting stuff from Sweeney in his interview on JO’B’s podcast this morning which puts a bit of flesh on his letter to OfCOM.

MoreCashThanDash

My Tory parents were moaning about Leftie BBC bias this morning – would not accept that those on the left could possibly see it the other way

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Did the Telegraph tell them to think that?

My experience of political views opined by the parents is basically that of an animated, walking, talking copy of the Telegraph. Anything that doesn’t agree with them is usually “getting that from the Guardian”.

MoreCashThanDash

They only get the Torygraph on a Saturday, the rest of the week they get their right wing propaganda from that there left leaning BBC.

No, I don’t understand it either

sadmadalan

The problem is that we hold the BBC to a higher level of scrutiny than the rest of the media. We know that the newspapers are biased, so therefore the BBC must be. The BBC do try to be neutral, but as has been said before, if they report something you don’t like, they must be biased. Sometimes the reporting is poor, therefore that must mean they are biased. Sometimes they don’t report stuff, which means they must be biased.

We know that the BBC is not perfect, but for some reason if they make the smallest mistake they are screamed at. Remember that the BBC will have effectively be the opposition while the Labour party guts itself. Questioning the Tory governments policies and actions. You can already see the Tory War Machine gearing up to fight the BBC, who else has the clout to report and challenge what is going on. And if the licence fee goes, so does Channel 4 and S4C

If we really want to know what the media would be like without the BBC look at the USA. Do we really want that, both the quality and the cost. (Remember that we only get the very best of US Television – most is lucky to be called dross). Do we want Fox News as a main source of news? And remember that if the BBC goes then Sky, Amazon, etc will raise their prices – because their main competition will have gone. Driven out both those who cannot stand anyone who disagrees with them, who want an extra cup of Costa coffee a week and those who sit behind the anonymous wall of social media and scream at the BBC.

(Sorry – too much coffee today)

outofbreath
    Free Member

Hopefully Boris will get rid of the licence fee and unite both left and right behind him.

I’ve been a LibDem for less than five days and both main partys are already gunning for something I value. 🙁

jjprestidge
    Free Member

And if the licence fee goes, so does Channel 4 and S4C

A friend’s dad was on the board of S4C when I was at university. I remember there being a story in the Welsh press about him being paid £120K a year for 1 day a month. And that was in the early 90s. Not sure if that’s a great use of licence payer’s money, tbh.

JP

kerley
    Free Member

My experience of political views opined by the parents is basically that of an animated, walking, talking copy of the Telegraph. Anything that doesn’t agree with them is usually “getting that from the Guardian”.

You are showing your class there. For me it was Daily Mail/Sun versus Mirror.

The BBC/Channel 4 are good for non biased news and probing interviews, however the rest of the output is nothing special so the argument around better quality holding up others to the same quality and production of programs around niche subjects is long gone.

So basically a question of is the license fee worth it for the non biased news and scrutiny of government?

Watty

Interesting stuff from Sweeney in his interview on JO’B’s podcast this morning which puts a bit of flesh on his letter to OfCOM.

I’d like to listen to that, but do you have a linky please, as I’ve no idea what ‘JO’B’s podcast’ is.
    Ta.

PrinceJohn

So basically a question of is the license fee worth it for the non biased news and scrutiny of government?

With our current government I think that’s an overwhelming yes.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’d like to listen to that, but do you have a linky please, as I’ve no idea what ‘JO’B’s podcast’ is.
    Ta.

😀

Yeah, sorry for the presumptuous use of abbreviations there. My bad. It’s the most recent episode of James O’Brien’s Disclosure. Some cracking other interviews on there if you go back through as well.

EDIT: Full Disclosure

shermer75
    Free Member

Whatever your feelings for the BBC we are unlikely to have to worry about it for much longer

BBC News – What the election fall-out means for the BBC
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50817529

Watty

Thanks DD.

outofbreath
    Free Member
    DrJ

Not that biased after all, both sides complain in comparable numbers

The truth is not determined by a show of hands.

outofbreath
    Free Member

The truth is not determined by a show of hands.

When it comes to something as difficult to pin down as bias I think a show of hands is probably as close an approximation as we’re going to get. I certainly don’t see the people claiming the BBC *is* biased offering objective conclusive proof – all the “proof by example” claims are nothing more than a show of hands.

However I’m sure the BBC and most other broadcasters would be delighted if you gave them an objective conclusive way to determine bias, it would allow them to get it exactly right and prove they’d done so. You have one, do you?

ctk
    Free Member

Note to self make a gazillion complaints to the BBC about pro right bias between now and next election.

DrJ

I’m far more persuaded by examples of bias than I am by a letter-writing campaign. Laura K, John Humphrys, Nick Robinson, Sarah Sands, Robbie Gibb – all card-carrying Tories, counterbalanced by … what?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I’m far more persuaded by examples of bias than I am by a letter-writing campaign. Laura K, John Humphrys, Nick Robinson, Sarah Sands, Robbie Gibb – all card-carrying Tories, counterbalanced by … what?

Quite a lot who probably carry a labour or lib dem card, add in those who have been through Common Purpose programmes etc etc

The BBC has a lot more than half a dozen journalists

outofbreath
    Free Member

I’m far more persuaded by examples of bias than I am by a letter-writing campaign.

So your opinion is based on a logical fallacy.

Laura K, John Humphrys, Nick Robinson, Sarah Sands, Robbie Gibb – all card-carrying Tories

Incorrect, from that list LK and NR (at least) are not members of any party.

Northwind

Nick Robinson? Chairman of the National Young Conservatives, a position he held for 3 years after joining the BBC, before he turned in his membership as he moved up the political journo ladder (for obvious reasons). Pretty clear where he comes from regardless of whether or not he remains a member.

DrJ

So your opinion is based on a logical fallacy.

Nope. Based on observation.

Incorrect, from that list LK and NR (at least) are not members of any party.

Missing the point. Those individuals are all firm supporters of the right wing, whatever their memberships.

(the fascist on the left is Britain First candidate Jayda Fransen)

outofbreath
    Free Member

Missing the point.

Your point was NR (and others) are “card carrying tories”. He’s not. LK isn’t.

Here:

Laura K, John Humphrys, Nick Robinson, Sarah Sands, Robbie Gibb – all card-carrying Tories

You’re wrong.

igm

OoB – the article from the Guardian you posted was quite amusing – folk accusing the BBC of bias because some audience members at last night of the proms wore EU hats and a singer waved a rainbow flag. Really?
    As for LauraK – card carrying? Wouldn’t know, haven’t checked, but I would be surprised if she was. Pro-Tory? Absolutely, she just oozes a gentle but clear right-wing tendency as she flirts with BoJo. Either that or she’s a lefty trying to hard not to show pro-Corbyn bias.

andy8442
    Free Member

Card carrying or not, Laura K should be sacked and face prosecution for her antics a few weeks ago.

DrJ

You’re wrong.

Nope – you are.

2a : strongly identified with a group (as of people with a common interest)
    card-carrying members of the ecology movement
    — R. J. Neuhaus

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/card-carrying

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 164 total)

The topic ‘Biased Broadcasting Corporation’ is closed to new replies.