Biased Broadcasting Corporation

• This topic has 162 replies, 76 voices, and was last updated 3 weeks ago by  ajaj.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 163 total)
  • Biased Broadcasting Corporation
  • Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

Just watched a long, painful, dog-ate-my-homework excuse from a BBC suit about why more flattering footage of BJ at the Cenotaph was used on Mondays news.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/bbc-boris-johnson-brexit-wreath-laying-cenotaph-footage-wrong-old-tory-bias-a9198521.html

Is it time we pulled the plug on these clowns? Or do they still offer a valuable, unique public service?

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

No more biased than most other media outlets but at least they do some cracking other shows.

It’s just getting worse. Interview w/ JC the other day, showed him in a dungeon, lit like Satan. Tory counterpart then asked same questions, but filmed in a school playing with children! It’s disgusting.

APF 🙁

Premier Icon v8ninety
    Subscriber

Whilst people at both ends of the political spectrum continue to loudly protest the the BBC are biased, I can’t help but think that they must be doing alright. Examples that ‘prove’ both positions are always available.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Yup definitely that V8.

Premier Icon akira
    Subscriber

Yeah if no one is happy then they’ve reached a decent compromise.

Premier Icon nuke
    Subscriber

Talk to brexiters/Tories and all you get is that bbc is biased towards remainers (The Question Time audience being a big bone of contention for being claimed to be mostly remainers) & lib dems/labour, talk to remainers and its tory biased…BBC cant win. The comments under news articles on the bbc fluctuate wildly too…articles on negative economic uk data gets the whole Project Fear comments going. Personally I’m fine with the bbc and, like any news outlet, take it with a pinch of salt

My right wing friend who has visited the BBC on several occasions for political interviews is convinced that they’re institutionally biased against the right. All my left wing friends are convinced of the opposite. They can’t both be right, but they can both be wrong.

As for the BBC’s output, personally I think it’s a bit shit: there are no more than two programmes a week that I watch on any of its channels, and it’s been that way for a long time. Occasionally it will produced something great, but these moments are fleeting.

JP

Premier Icon Sandwich
    Subscriber

Political News are currently mouthpieces of Conservative Central Office/Dominic Cummings. Their reputation is shot and only the election rules are ensuring some semblance of balanced reporting.

There appears to be no curiosity about what they are fed, no fact checking at all. See the no news about Leave EU and electoral fraud and Fiona Bruce outright lying to an audience member on the same subject.

There appears to be no curiosity about what they are fed, no fact checking at all

Welcome to the cultural climate. I don’t even blame the internet, I blame the human condition. The internet (as of now) simply enables more falsity to travel faster, farther and with greater frequency*. I may be ‘on the spectrum’ because all disinformation riles me up like I have OCD. Even when the disinfo is about random subjects/issues for which I have no immediate (or even peripheral) personal investment/attachment. Like nails on a blackboard in my brain. Tabloidism is my kryptonite.

Interesting article in the Nat Geo. They’d better not be lying! 🤣

A recent study led by Briony Swire-Thompson, a doctoral candidate in cognitive psychology at the University of Western Australia, documents the ineffectiveness of evidence-based information in refuting incorrect beliefs

Scroll down to the last sub-heading, ie ‘The Fabulist’

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2017/06/lying-hoax-false-fibs-science/

*Edit – unintended intensity of alliterative comparative adjectives. Blame Black Coffee

soobalias

totally biased, sometimes they seem to hold opposing viewpoints to me

shermer75

And

Both made me chuckle!

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

There appears to be no curiosity about what they are fed, no fact checking at all.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/reality_check

Apart from the endless fact checking, obvs….

gauss1777

Well I’m not buying this argument. They have been poor at holding people to account for decades, but now they appear totally incompetent. As Sandwich says there appears to be no fact checking, nor challenges about untruths, fake ‘facts’ or whataboutery. Whenever they question anyone, the person seldom answers the question but is allowed to make extremely contentious statements about other topics and because it’s not what is being discussed it is just let go.

Premier Icon superstu
    Subscriber

Radio four presenters do a good job grilling politicians and asking questions most would avoid.

Premier Icon frankconway
    Subscriber

No bias; impartial by any objective measure.
    For some people, if the Beeb doesn’t reflect their views it’s biased.
    Anyone hear Johnson on 5live breakfast phone-in? Not allowed to get away with obfuscation or waffle by Rachel Burden.
    Predictably the right wing press criticised her when they should have focussed on his piss poor performance.
    Listen to Stephen Nolan, watch Andrew Neil – their only bias is against lies and dissembling.
    Kuenssberg, Pienaar and rest of the political reporting team are demonstrably even-handed.

Premier Icon miketually
    Subscriber

I hadn’t realised that the BBC was biased but my father-in-law told me that he’d read in the Daily Mail that the BBC was biased toward Labour and so only ever reported positive things about Jeremy Corbyn.

For some reason this 2015 clip comes to mind.

So now we have even more hindsight. ‘It will be very interesting to see how the Tories deal with it’ (from 8 min mark)

Premier Icon sheck
    Subscriber

Whatever the motive, I find this particular “mistake” staggering

Did make me think of their recent drama The Capture too

andrewreay

In the thousands of hours of coverage, people will always find one weak spot that supports their opinion of bias.

It may even be true on occasion.

But FFS that will be a couple of seconds from tens of thousands of hours of balanced, fair and challenging output.

If anyone needs reminding of holding politicians to account on a daily basis, listen to Nick Robinson interviewing Micky Gove on Today one morning this week. Superb!

Also, listen to ‘More Or Less’ each week, where stats and claims are scientifically ripped apart.

Or look at the Fact Check website on the BBC at your leisure.

It’s really sad that people try and tar the BBC with the same brush as odious, biased output like the Daily Mail or The Canary.

It deserves our support as other organisations disappear down the fetid drain of depravity that amounts to ‘news’ nowadays.

Rant over.

scotroutes

It’s still frankly amazing that folk view all media bias in terms of Left and Right. The BBC is no more than a branch of the Civil Service and so upholds the Establishment. Church, Royalty and the continuation of the “British way of life”.

Premier Icon lunge
    Subscriber

I think we are entitled to ask the odd question about the quality of journalism and programming at the BBC, but to accuse it of bias is a bit off IMO. Given that left, right, leave and remain all think it’s biased against them suggests they’re about right.
    I’d also agree that every now and then they get things wrong, and that’s OK as it’s run by people who do make mistakes.

dovebiker

Good quote this week from Chris Packham to paraphrase: “One politician says it’s raining, the other it’s sunny – it is not the medias’ job to just report both, but to look out the **** window!”

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

I’m not sure they are biased, but they are lazy.

I use the reality check web page quite a lot, but none of their interviewers seem to. No one is properly tested and made to account for even the most stupid lies and comments.

And today, the Prince Andrew scoop is more important than the student fire, or the election….

Whilst people at both ends of the political spectrum continue to loudly protest the the BBC are biased, I can’t help but think that they must be doing alright. Examples that ‘prove’ both positions are always available.

This.

Also, listen to ‘More Or Less’ each week, where stats and claims are scientifically ripped apart.

Or look at the Fact Check website on the BBC at your leisure.

This.

Listen to Stephen Nolan, watch Andrew Neil – their only bias is against lies and dissembling.
    Kuenssberg, Pienaar and rest of the political reporting team are demonstrably even-handed.

This.

andrewh

That.
    I suspect confirmation bias is at play here. If one thinks they are biased then every example one sees supports this. Remember, it’s not that every single item on every single program has to be unbiased, but that the output as a whole must be. If you hear a program about Borris Johnson but then miss next week’s one about Jeremy Corbyn you’ll be going round saying Boris is getting all the coverage.
    As a centre-right leave voter from up north it appears to me to be full of southern/London leftie remainers. No doubt other people’s views differ
    I don’t have a telly BTW, I just use the BBC for Radio4, R4Extra and the World Service. I get news from them, but I think it’s also important to get it from a variety of sources, if any one is biased then hopefully you can get other viewpoints from elsewhere, NPR and ABC-News being the other two stations I use regulary, plus whatever newspapers I find laying about at work, Guardian to Daily Mail and all points inbetween.

benv

It’s still frankly amazing that folk view all media bias in terms of Left and Right. The BBC is no more than a branch of the Civil Service and so upholds the Establishment. Church, Royalty and the continuation of the “British way of life”.

Correct.

The cenotaph claims are cobblers. Cock-up rather than conspiracy – someone gets the 2014 clip out of the archive for remembrance previews on Sunday, it gets used as the new one by some producer or other.

And people are upset because apparently Boris is more dishevelled in the 2019 clip. Hardly the killer punch to his election chances, everyone knows he’s a scruffy get.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

I drove to Great Yarmouth a couple of weeks ago. six hour drive and I spent most of it hopping between Radio 2 and Radio 4. Loads of political news / commentary and the vast, vast majority of it was soundbites from Boris and Frog-manbaby.

How anyone can accuse the BBC of being against the right is beyond me.

Pigface

I do wonder about some of the questioners on Question Time, some have been exposed as right leaning stooges.

Emma Barnett takes no prisoners.

benv

I do wonder about some of the questioners on Question Time, some have been exposed as right leaning stooges.

And if hosted in Scotland – outright plants in cohorts with the producers.

A mixed bag for me. The BBC can appear to be quite even-handed (for a state broadcaster) in some respects but in others is so biased it’s ridiculous. The bias toward US news, including the unquestioning, follow my lead US foreign interests is disturbing.

I also agree with:

The BBC is no more than a branch of the Civil Service and so upholds the Establishment. Church, Royalty and the continuation of the “British way of life”.

To me when you look at mainstream media, particularly published media, partially reliant on advertising revenue and circulation numbers. There appears to be significantly more representation of right wing ideals. Walk into any local newsagent and take a sample for yourself!

It’s market driven by nature and for the dailies in particular, there has to be constant churn and eye catching content to keep people buying. There’s more money available from and for individuals, enterprises and organisations who exist by and promote these ideals. Not to mention people love scandal, a bit of escapism, celebrity title-tattle and perpetually changing sports news. Combine these ingredients and you can see why the best selling dailies are what they are.

scotroutes

Of course, any newspaper/headline review piece on the BBC naturally features mostly right-wing titles (reflected in their ownership/editorials). It’s one way in which the BBC fails to provide balance.

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

Always been biased IMO, biased towards whoever is in government at the time. It lost its anonymity when the fees started to be brought up in PMQ back in the 90’s and since then the BBC has always supported whoever has the power to push legislation through to protect it.

Sadly for it, it’s meant it panders to the aged and wealthy of this land who don’t really want to see the gritty reality of people who earn a living buy buying a TV licence and it’s therefore stuck between streaming and old folks who pay the fee “because they think they have too”

I’m happy to pay the fee, because I’m old and consider I get more out of BBC4 and the radios station than I do out of all the other channels they produce.. can’t honestly remember the last time I put BBC1 on.. that just seems full of shite programmes about “Cops chasing people who can’t drive” or that gawd awful East-****-enders pile of horsecrap.

Odd that they decided to chuck BBC3 online only, then repeat their brilliant programmes on BBC4/2 when the accolades come rolling in. I reckon BBC1 and 2 ought to go online only… free up some space for art/environment/educational programmes…

IMO

P-Jay

If I have to fault them it’s they seem very keen to be ‘fair’ which had lead to giving UKIP and Brex Party a lot of air time, rationale unknown.

Also they seem pretty easy to BS, doesn’t matter which side of the fence someone is, they do something stupid / bad and as long as they come up with some half-credible excuse and the BBC will give them equal column space.

Basically as above, they’re too busy reporting it’s raining and it’s sunny to look out the window.

I’ve sacked off the BBC news app in favour of Sky news, it seems almost crazy to say it, but they do a better job.

Premier Icon Del
    Subscriber

The BBC bases/gauges it’s even handedness on print media. It tries to strike a balance based on that. Given the ownership of British print media, the resulting position should not be unexpected.

robowns

Every single news outlet is biased towards its own agenda – it’s just worse when it’s an outlet you’ve been forced to pay for.

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

all disinformation riles me up

This is how it should be.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

And today, the Prince Andrew scoop is more important than the student fire, or the election….

Correct news decision.

Nobody dead in Bolton fire AFAIK, election just rumbling on, Handy Andy interview is a genuinely big and unexpected development in a major story. The royals just never do interviews like that normally.

The BBC has a host of issues but I don’t think it has an overt institutional bias. Perhaps it has a collective centrist-left leaning, and it’s running scared of recent Tory Govts, but it’s basically a collection of individuals doing their jobs with varying levels of success.

Premier Icon Sandwich
    Subscriber

A fact check website! After the misinformation has been broadcast on a flagship programme. A fig leaf of balance similar to a page 15 correction of a front page paper headline. If either media branch were balanced the correction would be given similar prominence to the erroneous information. Not many of the populace will burrow for an obscured correction.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 163 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.