Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • BHF London to Brighton off-road ride
  • jaymcjayface
    Free Member

Has anybody done this event/ride?

I’m taking part in September and wondered if anybody had any advice?

What is the riding like etc?

I’m excited to be doing it but also kinda wondering what the hell have I let myself in for..

joepud
    Free Member

its worth doing just to tick off, but I would say don’t expect a normal weekend trail ride especially when it goes through the peaslake / winterfold area. Lots of bridal way and fire roads and there are a couple of horrible climbs especially at the end. I did it on my 150/140 bird aeris if I did it again I would either do it on a gravel bike or HT 29er nothing on the ride warrants full suspension.

jaymcjayface
    Free Member

Thanks for that. I was thinking about what the ride might be made up of.

I’ll either be on my 150mm hard tail or my fat bike.

I have a gravel bike on the horizon so could be tempted to use that.

Would you say it was achievable in less than 8 hours for a relatively fit, competent ride?

james-rennie

Yes, did the “LTBOR” charity event 2 years ago. It’s off road for sure, but nothing severe. Theres one tiny technical bit (around Shere I think) but you can skirt round it. The challenge (for me) was the distance, and the hardest hill being at the end after you’ve already done maybe 100k.
    I reckon you’d be good on a hardtail or gravel bike with comfy tyres.
    Edit- took me about 6.5 hours, I’m not particularly quick, you make up a lot of time on a flattish long (30k?) old railway line/gravelly road called Downs Link.

jaymcjayface
    Free Member

The challenge for me is also the distance.

What happens at the end?

Do you have to make your own way back to the start point?

I’ve heard various answers to that but nothing official as yet.

joepud
    Free Member

What happens at the end?

Do you have to make your own way back to the start point?

In the past bikes get sent to drop off points like Victoria station and you get the train back, however given covid I don’t know if that will still be the case. If you could get a hotel or something for an overnight stay I would recommend it.

I have never done the official event just used it as a way to get to Brighton in the past when visiting the partners family – under 8hours totally doable i often get lost.

james-rennie

I made my own way back by train, but I’ve got a vague memory of there being 3rd party ‘coaches with trailers’ doing the run back to Kempton Park. Sorry, that’s not much help.

johnnystorm

It’s been ages since I did it but we DIY’d the return on the train. There’s a Holiday Inn very near to the BHF start point who were happy (at the time) to let us leave the car for the day having stayed the night before.

BHF were very (too?) generous with bottled water, I doubt that will change as covid might impact on using the taps. I used the taps most of the time, for Eco reasons and also not wanting to queue for water.

four
    Free Member

Did it a few years ago on a hard tail (Cotic Soul) 27.5.

Bloody pissed it down with rain so not very enjoyable tbh, it’s a basic ride and the Downs Link is very dull.

If I were to do it again I’d do it on my gravel bike and smash it as fast as I could, but being honest I’d probably not bother as there are many more scenic routes to enjoy.

jaymcjayface
    Free Member

We’ll be camping for the weekend at a site actually on the start point.

A few people have mentioned gravel bikes…. That’s a very tempting idea.

I’ll have to have a look at trains just in case there are no other options.

I’d guess it’s best to sort something out now rather than on the day when god knows how many people with bikes are trying to get to London.

ElVino

I did the official event in 2018 on a Gravel Bike with 35mm tyres, I was racing to beat a storm due in in the afternoon so I started in the first group and went flat out. I would say there were a couple of sections I would have liked fatter tyres and I came of on the final descent into Brighton on a chalky section. Took me around 5:30, if I did it again I would take the hardtail and enjoy the ride a bit more.

nowad
    Free Member

Hardest part is the mileage. You can easily do it on a cx bike. Anyone who does it on a bouncer or fat bike must just enjoy the challenge.
    30 odd miles of Thames path, some other odds and sods and then the big climb up top of Brighton called torrettes (when you see it you go **** **** ****) as its steep as hell then 3 miles into Brighton and jobs a goodun.
    Get back on the train but it’s also a nightmare. I send the mrs in the car and we stay over and come back following day.

simonbea
    Free Member

I’ve done it a couple of times and enjoy the event as a whole. skill levels vary a lot, the more fun ‘MTB’ sections which there aren’t that many of tend to get bunched up with less experienced riders stopping

mccraque

I’m in again this year. 2 real hills – Shere/Winterfold area and then Beading Hill up to Truleigh YHA at the end. The bulk of the ride is the Downslink which, as an old railway line – is quite nice and flat and you can eat up miles.

There are a few BHF water stops but also you have a supermarket right by the trail in Cranleigh, and another shop (and cafe I think…not sure if still there though) at Southwater. You also pass a filling station at Bramber just in case you need any more food/ drink… but you’re only 30 mins from the end at that point.

My only gripe as with all big group rides, is that the (very mildly) techy sections get a bit congested because of the big span of riding abilities – but it is a ride, not a race…so most people are patient with the less frequent riders.

Just keep an eye on your bike once you get to Hove lawns. There were a couple of incidents of theft a few years back. Not what you need after a charity event!

jaymcjayface
    Free Member

Thanks for that information. It’s nice to know that there are places for food and drink should we miss the event water stops.

From your experience, what is the best/easiest way to get back to the start point once you reach the end?

jimdubleyou

From your experience, what is the best/easiest way to get back to the start point once you reach the end?

Ride 😉.

If you don’t need to get back quickly, stay over in Brighton and ride back the next day.

mccraque

and if you do, the train is an option. It’s not like the road version where you’re not allowed on the trains with your bike. It’s a much smaller crowd. And if they are being funny, just cycle to Preston Park or Hassocks and jump on there instead.

belugabob
    Free Member

These routes can be ridden at any time, without the assistance of an organised event – no fees, no commitment if the weather is rubbish, no crowds on the route, no crowded/restricted trains.

JDI

agis2012
    Free Member

I am doing it this year but unfortunately couldn’t get the 6.30 start slot a couple of my mates booked and am starting at 9.30 instead. I will be on my Bird Aeris so not much chance of making up the time but looking forward to it nonetheless.

jaymcjayface
    Free Member

I really wanted the 6.30am start too but by the time my mates had finished faffing about, only the 10am slot was left.

I’m looking forward to it though at the moment, the distance is slightly worrying..

Good luck.

susepic

It’s a good solid day out, but not too technical. if it’s dry you can get away with riding a commuter tyre like a Spesh Nimbus to speed things up. Lots of folks on CX bikes when i did it, and they were smoking anyone on an MTB. Wouldn’t fret about the distance – just get some long training rides in ahead of time and you’ll be dandy.

jaymcjayface
    Free Member

Cheers for that.

I’ve been looking at gravel bikes for a while now so maybe this ride is the excuse I’ve been waiting for to buy one.

At the moment, an average ride for me is around 25 – 30 miles on my MTB which would be a good mixture of singletrack and joining fireroads.

To help with riding long distances, I’ve decided to dedicate 1 day per week just to riding for as long as I can. Hopefully that’ll help.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Year I did it there was a chap doing it on a BMX, the mentalist.

I rode with a group but two of us legged it on the run down to Hove as it was a challenge to ride full blat – loved it.

joepud
    Free Member

At the moment, an average ride for me is around 25 – 30 miles on my MTB which would be a good mixture of singletrack and joining fireroads.

To help with riding long distances, I’ve decided to dedicate 1 day per week just to riding for as long as I can. Hopefully that’ll help.

Personally I would give it a little more structure than that increase your distance over a few weeks and set goals. As with all cycling you just gotta get used to sitting and spitting for 6-8 hours.

singletracksurfer

Great atmosphere, very well marshalled and supported. Mostly non-technical riding, my first choice would be either a Hardtail or racey short-travel full sus, but I’ve also done it on a CX too.

Spice it up by riding it at night! Did it last year and its happening again mid-June this year.

kimbers

When I was out of work a few years back I did it solo, on a whim, with just a print out from the bhf website

Hadn’t done any training, but managed it OK
    Only got lost once & had to check my phone
    and ended up having a bit of a play around winterfell in Surrey hills which I regretted by the end

Most of it is downs link disused railway so you can get up a fair lick of speed and knock of quite a few kms easy enough

I was on an old steel hardtail & was fine, nothing technical.

https://www.strava.com/activities/174027293

Doh1Nut

Its shorter this year, starting at Hampton Court / bushy park, not central london.
    One of our group did it last year on a cyclocross bike but as said there were some sections that were pretty uncomfortable. I think hard-tail with fast rolling tyres, probably the best bet.
    Planning on doing it the the weekend after the BHF ride this year.
    I remember there was a sailing club / canoe club on the route that was a good place to stop which had half decent cakes.

Painey
    Free Member

I’ve done this before and as an owner of a fat bike I wouldn’t recommend using that for it. I did it with @mccraque and wasn’t feeling too clever the day before. Thought I’d give it a go anyway but I ran out of energy by the time I got to Winterfold. The rest was a real slog.

As has been said, it’s a good ride and I hope to do it again sometime soon.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Did it on my Trek Fuel with some proper MTB tyres. Probably a bit overkill but the added bounce was good for comfort!

Doing it again this year on same bike but more XC tyres.

My training never got past 35miles but did it in ok time considering.

My mate did it on his gravel bike and for the most part was ok. Few sections really battered him though.

james-rennie

as Doh1nut says, the start has moved again. It’s been central London in the past, also Richmond Park. It started at Kempton Park when I did it,to keep distance up the route looped round the Thames so after about 10 or 11 miles we ended up close to the start but in the opposite side of the river.
    This year it’s starting from Apps Court Farm, it’ll be interesting to see how the route is planned, it might be something I can use in the future.

mccraque

Anyone else ride? Was good fun I thought and weather was about the right temperature for the most part. We left at 4.30am and did the route in reverse, refilled the water bottles at the start and came back again!

DrP

FOr those who liked the route… I’m looking to do teh “DrP Brighton London Brighton” event again at some point… Basically starting in Brighton, following the BHF road route in reverse, then coming back via the BHF off-road route…

DrP

agis2012
    Free Member

mccraque – That sounds nuts.

I did it on Saturday on my Bird. It was good fun although some parts were a real slog. Running a Super Gravity Magic Mary did not help either.

I enjoyed the few downhills there were especially towards the end when thing spread out a bit but at the beginning it was galling to let numerous gravel bikes through on the flat to then be held up by them down hill.

But all in all I really enjoyed it. Great weather and met some nice people especially the friendly Bird owners. We started at 6.30 and got into Hove at 3.

Will defintely ride it again.

jaymcjayface
    Free Member

I’ll echo what others have said in saying it was a great ride. Met some really nice people and spied a few nice bikes (my personal favourite being a singlespeed Sonda).

I’d love to do it again next year but at a quicker pace.

Like somebody else mentioned, being held up at the few singletrack sections was a bit annoying but, I guess you have to expect it with an event like this one.

easily
    Free Member

it was galling to let numerous gravel bikes through on the flat to then be held up by them down hill

Do you mean “It was galling for the gravel riders to let the MTBs through on the downhill then be held up by them on the flat”?

mccraque

@agis2012 – it was a bit nuts. But not as nuts as running super gravities for 60 miles! 😂👍

I rode the intense sniper as my hardtail needed some adjustments and I didn’t have time for a test ride. Felt very efficient for a full suss and was good fun on the downhills. Can’t get too grumpy about being held up – it’s a charity event of mixed abilities. Did wonder how a couple on a tandem fared on the root sections though!

Keando

Have to agree it was a great ride. Done it on a few occasions. There was the occasional fustration in Winterfold with people getting stuck in the gullys.

The descent into Shere was fun – though as mentioned above I would like to seen how the tandem handled that and the tight turn at the bottom before going through the tunnel.

agis2012
    Free Member

singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/bhf-london-to-brighton-off-road-ride/#post-12026670

Its not quite like that though as happy to let gravel bikes through on the flat as they were all really wide tracks..the downhills however were practically all singletrack so became a bit of a logjam.

sotonkona
    Free Member

I’ve done it a couple of times, really enjoyed it, here’s my go pro vid from 5 years ago when I did it solo – https://youtu.be/nb9DVl4YwNc The Downs link section is pretty dull from the North to the South Downs TBH, but the North Downs section, brutal Bostal climb at the end and the drop in to Southwick are great fun. I did it again a couple of years ago on a full sus with a mate on a XC hardtail and another on a gravel bike. The guy on the XC hardtail faired better than all of us!

sl2000

I’m looking to do teh “DrP Brighton London Brighton” event again

@DrP
    Count me in please!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘BHF London to Brighton off-road ride’ is closed to new replies.