Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • best ways of improving ride/distance stamina for a noobie?
  • ji
    Free Member

Also remember that east Anglia might be flat, but the wind is a killer – all those that turn their nose up at riding around there saying it is so easy, might be surprised how bloody windy it can be, and this has a massive effect (on me anyway) on how far I can ride without feeling knackered.

Ogg

odannyboy – yeah I’m ‘local’ I ride with CamMTB a few times a year – would ride more often but I struggle to get to the meetup point in time.

Knee pain can just be down to seat height, pushing a too harder gear or just not being used to it.

Riding in Cambs can be a bit tame, but there are plenty of entertaining bits hidden away if you know where to look.

philjunior
    Free Member

Try getting out for more than one “proper” ride a week – A few years ago I was a bit unfit and riding with a club once a week would kill me with little appreciable gain. Doing a bit of running (1 or 2 times/week) and gettin out on the bike most weekends now, combined with a 4 mile each way gentle commute, and I’m not remotely killing myself on the weeknight rides or the weekend ones.

Also, don’t push yourself to be at or near the front on rides, just ride at your own pace. There’s no prizes on a social ride!

The 2 mile each way commute you do will be good to keep your legs ticking over, so keep that up.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Getting out and climbing has helped me more than anything. Friends ride fast flat cycle trails etc and trail centres in forests and there pace is quite quick but their stamina is poor. So if I can hang on to their coat tails till the next climb comes along I’m off. Hit those hills and build up your stamina, it should also help your rate of recovery!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I was interested to read about the different types of muscle – but surely the good news is that we have an inbuilt anabolic system that allocates muscle in response to the demands made without any conscious input – it evolved in relatively mindless animals, so if you do what you want to do the muscles will develop to do it better. Result! :o)

shoefiti
    Free Member

“”so if you do what you want to do the muscles will develop to do it better. Result! :o) “”

Indeed – but it’s best to play to your genetic disposition, that way results are easier to come by! 😛

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

but it’s best to play to your genetic disposition

I have no idea what that is, unless it’s just to have fun riding :o)

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘best ways of improving ride/distance stamina for a noobie?’ is closed to new replies.