Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Best way to sell/give away old laptop?
  • andrewh
    Free Member

In words of one syllable or fewer for the technophobic please.

Old laptop needs to go, been replaced by one which actually works all of the time, rather than just some of it.

Probably fixable by someone better at such things than me so seems a waste to just chuck it.

Never had any files stored on it, all on external hard drive and memory card.

However, my browser, Firefox, remembers everything, logins and passwords to everything, emails, facebook, paypal, bank, even this forum. I have no idea how many sites ‘everything’ is.

So, would installing chrome and then deleing Firefox make it safe to pass on to a new owner? No back up disc to delete and reinstall windows (10) and not sure I could anyway, fairly confident I could delete Firefox.

Anything else I should think about?

Cheers

mikewsmith
    Free Member
    andrewh
    Free Member

Excellent. Sounds straight forward. Will give it a go. Thanks 🙂

Just a thought though, if this takes it back to factory settings will it then have to spend hours going through endless windows updates when I switch it on again or will it remember these and pick up where it left off? These have caused problems in the past.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Your selling it who cares?

Can’t remember

andrewh
    Free Member

Trying not to offload a complete dud onto some poor unsuspecting person. It’s basically fine apart from the touch-screen is damaged and the mouse pointer jumps all over the places and clicks random bits of the screen whenever it feels like it, don’t want to give the poor bugger software problems too!

Anyone fancy a cheap HP laptop which converts to a tablet if you take the keyboard off? Works very well most of the time but does have random and quite irritating moments…

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

I would suggest installing Ubuntu (for example, there’s many others) over Windows. That’s what I did with an old Asus laptop before flogging it on eBay. Ubuntu’s a free operating system that works with loads of well known programs, just like Windows, and is easy to use too.

The new owner won’t have to worry about MS licensing issues or updates as it will no longer be installed. Also it’s a pretty good way (although not 100% proof) of ensuring that old data is less accessible.

I could provide instructions here for a technophobe if you want to explore that avenue. I think it’s fairly easy.

Wally

I could do with a laptop ( current one does black screen if death and I cannot fix) and have a spare hard drive. Nuclear option is to remove hard drive , enjoy smashing it with a hammer and flog it to me. ( PS- pint in hand and curry ready in 5 mins)

go DEFCON one.

Cougar

I would suggest installing Ubuntu

I’d absolutely suggest not doing that.  It’ll be a PITA to the vast majority of prospective new users.

The new owner won’t have to worry about MS licensing issues

Windows 10 is already licensed to that laptop, there are no issues to worry about.

it’s a pretty good way (although not 100% proof) of ensuring that old data is less accessible.

Your old data won’t be accessible for all practical purposes if you do what Mike said.  Sure, bits could probably be recovered forensically but I doubt your Auntie Irene is going to be taking the disk platters apart to try and find your Facebook password.

garage-dweller

If you are in Hampshire look up Jamie’s Computers who clean and resell old computer kit using the proceeds for charitable activity. Part of the Society of st James.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Best way to sell/give away old laptop?’ is closed to new replies.