Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Best way to paint exterior woodwork
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Our house has mock-Tudor style woodwork in need of replacement/removal or whatever but in the short-term I just want to spruce it up a bit (the paintwork is blistering and some wood is pretty rotten). I don’t expect what I do to last more than couple of years max but can anyone recommend a suitable and easy to apply black paint to minimise effort. I am thinking something that means I can just lightly wirebrush/scrape off blistered and cracked paint and then paint directly over. I appreciate this isn’t going to be a long-term solution but I just want to tidy it up a bit.

Cheers

cloudnine
    Free Member

Cuprinol garden shades comes in black and would work ok for a temporary fix up

bigh
    Free Member

Garden shades would be a little thin and would not adhere well at all sorry

This https://www.screwfix.com/p/zinsser-all-coat-exterior-paint-black-1ltr/8716g

is a very good do it all, one tin paint, similar to sadolin superdec only better.

Needs very little prep despite being water based. Quick wash down, light sanding and off you go. Comes in gloss or mid sheen

spawnofyorkshire

@bigh – that zinsser paint looks good. I need to repaint my front door, do you think the finish would be good enough opposed to regular exterior gloss paints?

bigh
    Free Member

Its not a high gloss, it wont give you a really showy finish but its not bad considering how easy it is to use.

If you are looking for colours other than black or white things get a little complicated as you have to order them.

wilburt
    Free Member

Any of the new water based exterior glosses, Zinsser, Sadolin, Dulux will do the job. Expect to pay c.£50 for 2.5l but worth it IMO.

jonnyrockymountain

Macpherson trade paint

DT78
    Free Member

Mine’s in a right state too with cracking pebbledash.  What are your long term plans?  I’ve been looking at external cladding preferably insulated

johndoh
    Free Member

Longer term I want to render with self coloured render so it doesn’t need overpainting and/or natural hardwood cladding.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Get some wood rot hardener first and give it a quick go with that.

I used some Dulux Weathershield one coat black gloss last week which was good. One coat should do it, but if you have the time give it two.

matt_outandabout

Macpherson trade paint

+1 having used it for a full house of emulsion, undercoat and gloss the last month.

I’m using the Jotun DemiDekk(sp?) Window andaDoor with Visner undercoat for our windows and doors. Really good stuff seemingly, and I’ve used Jotun on boats for years.

Use your local traid place – thepaintshed in Stirling is cheaper than big sheds, and you get great advice on what’s best.

johndoh
    Free Member

Yes I always use my local independent (normally so I can smell all their Osmo finishes) 🙂

Thanks for all the replies.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Best way to paint exterior woodwork’ is closed to new replies.