Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • best way to get me + bike home from Amsterdam
  • freeagent
    Free Member

I’m in the very early stages of putting together a ride from London to Amsterdam for next spring.
    I need to work out which is the best way to get me + the bike home to south-east London on a weekday (probably a Wednesday)
    My wife will collect me from an airport/ferry port if required.

Anyone ever done this journey? train seems the most obvious but looks like at least one change (Brussels)

any thoughts would be most welcome… and no, I’m not going to turn round and ride home.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Get the ferry from Ijmuiden to Newcastle.

Daily service, it leaves about 5.00pm and arrives 9.00am’ish the next morning.(Can be quite a party ship by all accounts! :D)

Then train it to KX. Good service from Newcastle.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

it’s about a 40min flight? BA and put the bike on it?

globalti
    Free Member

Once you’ve reached Amsterdam and, er, “relaxed” for a while the last thing you’ll be wanting is a long tedious trip home. Book yourself on KLM or Sleazyjet.

Pigface
    Free Member

Eurorail?

cranberry
    Free Member

Either Train ( Thalys ) To Brussels or..

cycle from Amsterdam to Hoek van Holland and ferry over to Harwich.

You can link to this http://www.northsea-cycle.com/ from Amssterdam.

cranberry
    Free Member

Whilst the Newcastle boat is great, I don’t think a Geordie Cruise would leave freeagent in the right part of the UK on his return.

damitamit
    Free Member

Last time I rode to Amsterdam (a few years back) I just got the train to Schipol and bought a huge bike (carboard) box for 20 quid from the lower ground floor in the airport and stuck the bike in. It was included in the luggage on the BA/KLM flight i got to London City Airport.

When i arrived in london, i just ditched the box and rode home.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Whilst the Newcastle boat is great, I don’t think a Geordie Cruise would leave freeagent in the right part of the UK on his return.

That’s why I suggest the train to Kings Cross. Less than a 3hr journey.

My route is way more fun than flying.

freeagent
    Free Member

excellent stuff, thanks guys.
    The idea about buying a bike box at the airport is great – as an Easy jet flight to Gatwick is potentially <£100 with the bike.

edit –

https://www.schiphol.nl/en/page/odd-size-baggage/[s][*]

gobuchul
    Free Member

as an Easy jet flight to Gatwick is potentially <£100 with the bike.

But the question was the “best way”.
    Arrive Amsterdam and “relax” then a hour or so pedal to the ferry.
    Overnight on the ferry, which could be fun, then awake in North Shields and catch the train to that there London.

Way better than Sleazyjet. 😀

On a more serious note, watch any excess baggage charges, they charge like wounded buffalo. I don’t think they let you take a bike for free like some do with skis and stuff.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy8usNAf33Q[/video]

I’m sure you could battle the sea currents and avoid getting in the way of ships. 😉

jaminb
    Free Member

A few mates and I are doing a cycling tour to the Dam in 4 weeks. Cycle from various spots in South to meet and get the train from Stratford (London but not International) to Harwich, overnight Stenna Line ferry to Hook of Holland cycle to Amsterdam c50 miles. Return 4 days later.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘best way to get me + bike home from Amsterdam’ is closed to new replies.