Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Best way out of Derby by bike
  • Jase
    Free Member

Can anyone help with the best way to get out of Derby by bike?

A group will be riding out from the velodrome on a Saturday afternoon, heading towards Quarndon direction. Looks like the most direct route heads along some major road, A6 then across the A52 flyover.

Obviously would like to avoid this so has anyone got any suggestions?

Looks like there are a couple of cycle paths just North of the velodrome which would remove the need to navigate the A6/flyover. Does anyone know if these are suitable for road bikes and this would still mean getting across the A61 at some point.

Thanks for any help.

theboatman
    Free Member

Can’t you just follow the cycle path out from pride park out to Darley Abbey and then just cross the island over the a38 onto the a6 but cut off down through Allestree to Quarndon which would keep you off the a6.

Derby cycle paths

StuF

Something like google maps

I’ve only been on these paths on my mtb, but they didn’t seem too bad, perhaps a bit gravelly for a road bike.

robbo1234biking

I would ride down to the river path, into the town centre, use the cycle lanes to go past the multi-storey car parks (crossing over the inner ring road), up past 5 lamps and follow the Kedleston Road out (it is nice and wide). That crosses over the A38 (and there are bike lanes) and then once you pass Allestree it is a short climb up into Quarndon past the Joiners Arms.

The island that crosses the A38 onto the A6 isn’t that bad really (not like Markeaton Island) so that we be the other option and ride up Burley Hill.

That will be fine for road bikes. River path can get busy so you wont fly along there but safest and easiest way into the town centre.

Jase
    Free Member

Awesome, many thanks will take a look

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Yep others have nailed it. Google is good at navigating you. There is no need to touch the main roads until you get to Darley Abbey (and maybe beyond…I’ve never been beyond by that route).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Best way out of Derby by bike’ is closed to new replies.