Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Best value bike brands in Australia
  • surreyxc
    Free Member

Are there any really good value bike makes out in OZ like Calibre, Boardman, Voodoo, I should look at. Or heavily discounting stores. I want to buy a cheapish bike in Oz, that can still be used as a proper MTB whilst I am out there, trail centres etc around Brisbane. I go every few years to see family, it can be kept at their place for the next time. The only brand I seem to find online is Polygon? Hardtail, modern geom, 27.5, or 29

djflexure

I lived in Melbourne and cant remember seeing any great value deals – not to say they dont exist. I took the bike with me.

If you cant find anything suitable you could consider ordering from Chain Reaction withdelivery to Oz.

epicyclo

Polygon is popular in Oz partly because it’s what Mick & Trace Hannah ride.

It is also a very large manufacturer which makes a lot of the other prestige brands, so don’t discount them just because you may not know the brand.

In the same position (a few years back) as you I bought an Avanti 29er for tooling around the bush in and near Brisbane. In retrospect, most trails I found could probably have been ridden on a decent gravel bike though – it would have made them more interesting (mainly around Bunya).

Take a look at Malvern Star – they have some decent budget bikes.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Canyon, Ribble, Polygon or bikeexchange for runout stock.

reluctantlondoner

Also Cell.

Avanti were really nice back in the day, while Malvern Star is Australia’s Raleigh.

Not sure if Azzuri are still around – they used to do cheap road stuff. But it certainly used to be that bikes and kit in Australia was pricey.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Reid are well priced, not sure if they are Melbourne only but well worth a look.

WildHunter2009

Probably a 2nd hand Giant. Everyone in Perth seemed to ride either a Giant or a Santa Cruz. I don’t think there’s an equivalent to the likes of Calibre. You can get Reid outside of Victoria so maybe worth a look.

antigee

the Polygons I’ve seen have been ok with better kit than I’d expect for the headline price
    can’t think of others most of the action is at the bespoke “if you want to know the price you can’t afford it” end of the market

Cell have closed down I believe (please don’t sue me I did try and check)

In Melbourne so not much help with Brisbane other than as anywhere last years models can come at very deep discounts but sales periods / prices seem pretty well controlled (again please don’t sue me just a perception) so all the Spec’ and Giant retailers will do sales at the same time and at surprisingly similar prices.
    BikeExchange is useful for tracking this as you can narrow search down and a lot of retailers are on there.
    Was in a 99bikes store the other day which are a national chain and they had some heavily discounted Merida’s which are usually nicely finished also some slightly discounted Norcos which looked good value

I like Reid’s commuter offerings and their Gravel bike looks ok/good their MTB offerings are a bit similar to sports store own brand products and on that topic Decathlon have just opened a couple of warehouses here and in Sydney so assume will open elsewhere if not done so – may need to be on email list to get discount codes which can be big

surreyxc
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies. In the end I just hired an ebike from Just Ride at Nerang, was awesome fun, reasonable price for hire, about half what you would pay for in the UK. Nerang has some great trails btw. Also there is a place hiring bikes up at Gap Creek near Mtn Cootha, will try that next time.

With all the fires, park closure and temps going over 35c it was not worth buying this time.

pembo6
    Free Member

A mate of mine bought a Polygon and is very happy with it. Great value.
    Otherwise, a Vitus from CRC. The Mythiques look OK.I think postage to Oz (via CRC) is around $150 AUD??

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Best value bike brands in Australia’ is closed to new replies.