Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Best tyres for a rigid 29er
  • fudge9202

So I’ve a Salsa El Mariachi and firestarter fork arriving, I have a new set of Hope Pro 4’s on WTB Sti25 TCS rims. So what tyres would the stwers recommend.
    I’m just after a front with good side grip and fast rolling in 2.4 or 2.6 and a fast rear tyre in 2.4.
    Not sure if anything in the Specialized sale is of use.

Premier Icon boxelder
    Subscriber

I like Spesh Purgatory – 29*2.6″ on the front of my rigid Solaris. Ground Control would be a faster rolling rear, or an Ardent if you’re not fussed about mixing brands. Or, the new Teravail tyres – Honcho front and Ehline rear.

Have a look at WTB Trail Boss 29*2.6″ – mine is working nicely

fudge9202

Good shout hadn’t considered Tervail or WTB

fudge9202

My word Tan sidewall Tervails but very spendy!!

I got my WTB ones for around £25 each

fudge9202

These wtb’s look heavy, with a steel frame and fork, the wheelset is where I’m looking at a bit of weight saving.

DrP

I’m rocking a bonty xr4 front, xr3 rear
    … Team editions…

Works well

DrP

cubist

These wtb’s look heavy, with a steel frame and fork, the wheelset is where I’m looking at a bit of weight saving.

I currently have a Trail Boss on the rear of my hard tail (Vigilante front) and they are heavy and draggy but the grip is OK

RE: WTB Trail Boss. I have the Light/Fast Rolling version which seems an accurate description to me

Premier Icon Clink
    Subscriber

Bonty a good shout. I run a 2.6 xr5 front and 2.4 xr4 rear on one bike, very happy with them.

Premier Icon breadcrumb
    Subscriber

Wider than you’ll get away on those rims but fitting a Maxxis Chronicle 29*3 was night and day better than running a 2.2 tyre up front on my rigid Unit.

Premier Icon smokey_jo
    Subscriber

You can get vitoria mezcals in 2.4 and 2.6.

fudge9202

I’ve run Bontrager Xr4’s a few years back and found them a good all year fit and forget tyre which I suppose is a good thing. So will probably go with them but still intrigued with the Vittoria Barzo/Mezcal combo.

john_l

2.6 Nobby Nic up front, 2.35 RaRa out the back, in true recommend what you have tradition.

Bontrager XRs are great tyres too

fudge9202

Yes going wth Bonty XR4’s

Premier Icon takisawa2
    Subscriber

Tioga Psycho’s.

Premier Icon dawson
    Subscriber

Slight hijack ; where are you getting XR4’s from? Last time I looked for a xr4 29er 2.2, it seemed they’d stopped making them and were just doing 2.6s

fudge9202

To be honest I was only looking 2.6/2.4 combo but I don’t see any 2.2 listed

Premier Icon dawson
    Subscriber

Ah, OK.

//end hijack

Premier Icon Yak
    Subscriber

Barzo/Mezcal is good, but more xc/endurance race. XR4/3 is a decent combo and still pretty light in a 2.4.

fudge9202

Definitely going with the XR4’s cheers

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.