Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Best supermarket black pudding
  • kilo

Clonakilty (black and white pudding)

Black pudding is ok but god I miss white pudding, five slices in between crusty white bread, lots of brown sauce, mmmmmmmmmm

scotroutes

Charlie Barley does a mean white pudding too. Available by mail order.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I never had a good Lorne sausage

Our butcher does good slice and black pudding and even black pudding slice.

Howies are okay but their slice isn’t up to much. IIRC Aldi do a decent wee black pudding but it’s smaller than usual.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Waitrose do a proper ‘kidney shaped’ Bury black pudding which is best thrown in the bin

5plusn8
    Free Member

This is down to upbringing, as a southerner I find all scottish black pudding rank as it is made with beef fat, the englsih ones at our local butcher (I dunno if it is mass market or not) tastes amazing, crisps up nice, has big soft lumps of fat in it and is really tasty.
    My scottish mates like it, but prefer their beef dripping version…

Pieface

No such thing, black pudding is grim

dyna-ti

Hands up all those who have actually made black pudding, start to finish.

Just me then 😀

Personally I find most Scottish as with Longdog too clovey and finely minced and agree Stornoway probably make the best tasting, and the Stornoway flavour is incidentally the same in their haggis recipe.

Most recipes made in local butchers shops are made from a packet containing dried powdered blood, spices and other ingredients and all you do is add fresh suet, rusk and boiling water and mix thoroughly. It’s a great job on those cold days, you’re up to your elbows mixing it and making sure you get all the lumps out. Fill the cellulose skins, tie off the ends and boil in a big pan of water.
    I’ve only once worked in a shop that used fresh blood, and while the process is slightly different, the rest mixing,filling,boiling(or steaming) is the same. With fresh blood you bag it in cooking bags and boil it and once ready it looks like BP does ie black – Wel actually its a kind of red/black rather than pure black, then into big mixing tub, spices(nutmeg,cinnamon, black pepper, oatmeal,pinhead barley,rusk,suet and a bit of beef fat(The fat is actually to prevent the mincer from clogging up , such is the nature of mincing suet, the fat we use at it has more fiber to it and pushes the suet though) the boiling water melts the suet and helps it all into the one consistency.
    Its then filled into the skins using a sausage filler, the free end tied and placed in a boiler(I forget for how long, maybe about 40 mins) Then hung up to cool.

Black pudding strange facts –

1. If filled into beef bungs(cow intestine) the mix has a reddy black colour that is rather unpleasant to look at, so to turn the bung casing black, you add in the 30 seconds before removing them from the boiler – Soda crystals – Yup, soda crystals also known for their drain cleaning properties. It burns the casing black.
    2. Black pudding, like white pudding and haggis have the classification as being both cooked meat and also fresh meat. ie they can be either. It is a cooked meat product so should never come into contact with fresh meat, but it can be put into the middle of sliced sausage, so you have this cooked product surrounded by uncooked sausagemeat.

burko73

The Waitrose own brand 4 slice pack is a reliable fav at the mo. Local butchers stuff is just mass produced and no flavour.
    Blagdon farm shop butchers in Northumberland is one of the best I’ve had. It’s cooked in a big tub by them I guess and sliced at the counter. Nothing worse than a disappointing black pudding!

big_n_daft
    Free Member

One of the local pubs started doing heated blackpudding and mustard, they probably just microwaved it but with mustard and a pint it was an excellent post night ride alternative to crisps

BillMC

I used to fry it until I discovered a minute blast each side on a metal surface (picked up from a hipster restaurant in Brighton).

binners

We had Morrison’s black pudding this morning and it was very nice indeed.

A place near us used to do ‘Lancashire Tapas’ and one of the dishes was breaded, deep-fried black pudding Bon-Bon’s with a mustard mayonnaise dip*. They were absolutely bloody gorgeous.

Another place near us does black pudding scotch eggs. They’re also absolutely amazing! You’d never guess I lived in Bury, would you? 😃

* my favourite of theirs was beef ribs, slow cooked in treacle

Philby

Had scallops with black pudding and apple at a gastropub a few years ago – bloody lovely they were.

eskay

I have had a similar dish – divine!

binners

That sounds good!

Another place near us does a breakfast of black pudding on potato cakes with a poached egg on top and Hollandaise sauce. Also bloody good.

squirrelking
    Free Member

German black pudding with stewed apple and mashed potato is a food of the gods. Unfortunately it makes you smell like the depths of hell the next day.

kilo

A place near us used to do ‘Lancashire Tapas’ and one of the dishes was breaded, deep-fried black pudding Bon-Bon’s with a mustard mayonnaise dip*.

Should call it artisan morcilla and then they could charge a bit more

Tracey

We are out in the Peak and due to the weather conditions walked instead of biking yesterday.
    Called in a farm shop in Hope and behind the counter was the biggest black pudding I’ve ever seen. It must have been the size of a dinner plate in diameter.
    Bought half a slice to try it.
    Just finished a bacon, mushroom and black pudding buttie and have to say it by far the best black pudding I’ve had.
    They also had a bacon slice rolled onto a stick with tomato sausage and black pudding rolled into it.
    Got one for in the morning.

BillMC

I once ordered a black pudding roll in Bury market thinking this would be (metaphorically speaking) the DBs. Once they’d deep fried it in cheap oil, bunged it in a tasteless roll with a smear of catering margarine, it took some strict personal discipline to eat this monstrosity. Wurst ever.

theotherjonv

Holy thread resurrection.

In the supermarket today, looking for something to have for tea, I happened upon Bury vegetarian black pudding, which I have tried so now you don’t have to. You can thank me here……

duncancallum

Simon howies vegan breakfast packs damn good too.

What’s these the thoughts on white pudding?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Meally puddins great.

Bury black pudding veggie or otherwise belongs in the bin.

theotherjonv

For avoidance of any doubt….. That was rank. I mean, the concept clearly is wrong but OTOH veggie haggis is (while clearly not haggis) very edible.

I’d rather eat congealed pigs blood

jp-t853

I’m with duncancallum the Simon Howie vege breakfast packs are amazingly I just struggle to get them in English supermarkets

duncancallum

@jp-t853

I can post you some

jp-t853

Very nice offer but we do manage most of the year. We stocked up last weekend at Nairn and we are in Kintyre in three weeks 😊

jamesco

Modern black puddings are shite, made from dried powdered blood, that’s why they have such a poor consistency and crumbly texture not like the creamy ones that held together and were eaten ‘raw’ ( not really raw as some one above said it’s a cooked product) at the splendid table creaking rural buffets of my youth. Old man here, everything was better in the old days – rickets , cholera ,scurvy, TB et al. A few people of my acquaintance have tried to make their own using fresh blood but it’s a skilled and tedious process taking years of painstaking effort to perfect so to my chagrin no supply of the real thing, however the afore mentioned Doreens/ Haighs triangular jobs are passable in my humble opinion. The search continues……….

frankconway

Unless it’s made with wet blood, it isn’t black pudding.

Sandwich

Hands up all those who have actually made black pudding, start to finish.

No but I may ask for some to be made from my pig when we next slaughter. (Large black x Gloucester Old Spot, allegedly produces the best bacon.

jamesco

Sandwich, you need to be there with some clean buckets and catch your own pigs blood , then spend ages whisking it to break up the protein strands to stop it from clotting . then crack on with your own pre arranged recipe. Chances are that the FSA inspectors won’t allow you to collect the blood unless you’ve got them onside before hand. good luck , I await a glowing report .

downshep

Sod supermarkets, just buy online.

Stornoway Black Pudding

trail_rat
    Free Member

Unless it’s made with wet blood, it isn’t black pudding.

Benn eating much if that recently…..

Bazz

My local butchers stock this fresh blood black pudding and it really is absolutely delicious:

https://www.fruitpig.co.uk/Chub-fresh-blood-pudding-

5plusn8
    Free Member

I’ve just compared Morrisons with the Bury, I do mine in the oven with sausages at 200c for about 15 mins, makes them crispy on the ouside abust still mosit int he middle. Bury was better than Morissons but both a bit pedestrian, I want big chunks of fat in mine.

jonnyfelloff
    Free Member

Loves black pudding me but I believe there are are only two flavours either hard & crispy, or soft gooey. But that could be down to my cooking.

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.