Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Best SPD pedals for DH?
  • _tom_
    Free Member

I’m thinking about trying out some SPD pedals on my DH/FR bike. I’ve always ridden flats off road but I love em on my road bike so thought it might be worth a go. I’m not racing or anything so it’s not for the extra power but I just hate not getting my feet in the right position, or having them knocked out of position, so thought SPDs would maybe help that. Plus I’m just curious to try it out to see what it’s like compared to flats. I already have some specialized bg shoes and shimano cleats so it’d just be a case of buying some pedals with platforms, what do you recommend?

AlexSimon

I always thought the Mallet DH looked like the most flat-like spds.

honourablegeorge

I got rid of SPDs form the DH bike, just drove me nuts when I was out sessioning jumps and larking about, trying to get clipped in while rolling into a feature. Was always halfway down the rollin beofre I was properly secured, much prefer just stomping on the flat pedal and go – A nice concave flat pedal (I use Vaults) that the ball of your fut sinks into – that makes me happy.

FWIW, I used to use Mallets, which have a platform around them so there’s something there if you don’t get clipped. Outside of racing though, I’m not sure I’d bother.

prezet
    Free Member

Shimano DX’s seem to be fairly popular – It just so happens I’m about to stick a very lightly used set on classifieds 😉

I’ve gone off clips since suffering quite a bad back injury (and re-broken collarbone) from scorpioning after a drop off went wrong.

philstone

Mallets DH are awesome…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mallets, the DH is the old shape with all the new improvements so win win.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Aaron gwins or wait for the new shimano dh pedal

transporter13
    Free Member

Old school shimano dx’s

philstone

Any more info on this new Shimano DH pedal?

_tom_
    Free Member

I got rid of SPDs form the DH bike, just drove me nuts when I was out sessioning jumps and larking about, trying to get clipped in while rolling into a feature. Was always halfway down the rollin beofre I was properly secured, much prefer just stomping on the flat pedal and go

Hmm. I probably always end up taking just as long to get my feet in the right position on flats anyway haha I must just be really picky. Would be nice to just be able to clip into the right position straight away. The only thing I’m worried about is float and feeling like my feet aren’t gripping the pedals properly/sliding around over the tops like it is on spd sl pedals or the spds that are just a little ball to clip onto. Or does that not really happen with platforms?

xiphon
    Free Member

DX SPDs…. work nicely when combined with Shimano’s AM45s…. I use that combo on all bikes (except road).

chrism110
    Free Member

shimano dx here with five ten shoes

sofaboy73
    Free Member

i don’t know if the reliability has got better with the Malletts, but i used to use them when i rode clipless -up to about three years ago.

like everything crank brothers i tried, i found they pretty much self destructed. first set of bearings lasted less than 3 months. also found the clipping in a bit ‘vague’ unlike the shimano when you know if your in or not

daver27
    Free Member

I’ve just started using the ht x1 pedal. It’s awesome

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Best SPD pedals for DH?’ is closed to new replies.