Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Best Online Cheap Compressor For Tubeless Installs Please?
  • curiousyellow
    Free Member

Looking for one for my home setup. Will be used exclusively to set wheels up tubeless. Needs to be mail/online order. Anyone got any advice please?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

A hefty dose of MTFU, some electrical tape to build up the rim if nececary, and a track pump.

Nobby

Build one

🙂

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Would rather buy to be honest. I have the mechanical aptitude of a frog.

fivespot
    Free Member

Machine Mart or Screw Fix do a huge range. Machine Mart have a 15% offer that finishes today. They send regular discount codes if you register for email offers. My code is 9513001387847 it ends today. Hope it comes in handy.

I’ve had my Machine Mart comprssor for about 25 years and it gets weekly use 😉

curiousyellow
    Free Member
    mashiehood
    Free Member

Try a big barrel track pump from lezyne or topeak

matther01
    Free Member

I have always used a track pump…but this weekend with RQs has been a real bitch. Cant get the bloody things to seat.

Try the ‘ghetto compressor’ which I am going to attempt before having to take them to the lbs to use their compressor.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I have a Topeak Joe Blow. It worked in the past, but I just cannot be bothered with the new setup. Broke a tyre lever getting this tyre on the rim (26″ Rocket Ron Evo TL Ready on Arch EX).

campfreddie
    Free Member

@ curious … I’ve Ben having no issues with the arch ex rims. I’ve mounted a pair of evo nobby Nics, an evo racing ralph and an evo hans dampf all by hand without tyre levers or washing up liquid.

Nick

The machine mart one might work, just because it can apparently do 250psi doesn’t mean it will do it quickly, and quickly is what you want when getting tubeless tyres to fit.

I bought one from Aldi, it was about 40 quid, does the job nicely, but I’m glad I had a pair of ear defenders!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Your 12v one is a POS.

A cheap/small 240V one will do, £70 was the bottom line when I got mine.

The home made one will be a good bet IMO.

PePPeR

Wolf compressors are some of the best for home use.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Stanley one looks good and there is a Screwfix local to me.

What is the Wolf one like? Is this one any good?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Litre-1-5HP-6-35CFM-116psi-Compressor/dp/B00HU54Z18/ref=sr_1_25?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1392071014&sr=1-25&keywords=wolf+compressor

HermanShake
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ghetto-tubeless-inflator-total-cost-9p

The 9p ghetto compressor is easy to make and works like a charm. A little blu-tak around the holes helps it seal better if necessary. Removing the valve cores also makes it more effective. Mine seats tyres at 40psi with the cores out.

I use schraeder valves on duct tape converted 719s, the cores are easily removed/replaced and fluid top up can be done through them without disturbing the precious bead seal. Loosening the valves to let the bead sit around, rather than on the rubber really helps, as does building up the rim with a few extra wraps of tape. Not only will this help inflate, it reduces burping due to snugness.

I’ve seen a fence sprayer pump thing used as a compressor but it didn’t seem as good as the 9p wonder due to the flimsy, built in handle.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Can’t even get a lever in to remove the tyre and fit a tube without wrecking the yellow tape!

That Screwfix compressor Liftman linked to is looking more and more tempting. Anyone got any other recommendations, or recommend against the Screwfix Stanley compressor?

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Joe Blow has never done me wrong. If you hang the wheel up so the tyre isn’t flat against the floor it starts much easier.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Those 24/25 l 1.5hp are all so similar, I do wonder if they come out of the same factory. I have one just like it, branded jcb. Does the job spot on.

endurogangster
    Free Member

Get some weights to work out the guns so you can use a track pump, or a couple of jazz mags and use a hand pump!

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I’ll try it in the stand tomorrow and see how it goes.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

You’ll be amazed. Just make sure that the tyre is either side of the valve and shake the jizz around inside as it’ll help the tyre get into place. And pump like a mofo. fnar.

tmb467
    Free Member

Standard CO2 inflator works well to seat the bead

Then remove the core and inject the sealant

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Problem is the tyre is so tight, I can’t tease the bead onto the rim using a lever.

househusband

Standard CO2 inflator works well to seat the bead

Beware that CO2 can cause many sealants to coagulate! ❗

julians
    Free Member

I recently bought the impax compressor from screwfix for 90 quid. Does the job for tubeless,tyres go straight up without needing the tyre to be tight on the rim.

Quite pleased with it.

tmb467
    Free Member

CO2 to pop the tyre bead onto the rim

Remove valve core and inject sealant

Replace valve core and re-inflate with track pump

TheWrongTrousers

What’s the ‘ghetto inflator’ that people speak of ?

curiousyellow
    Free Member

@julians what accessories did you have to buy to go with it?

matther01
    Free Member

Curious – get a 6ltr 1.5 hp compressor from sgs engineering and couple it with a prestaflator…should work out at £99

julians
    Free Member

I bought this accessory pack below

http://www.screwfix.com/p/air-spray-gun-compressor-kit-5-pieces/64178

You only really need the airline and the tyre inflator, but the rest of the stuff might come in handy one day.

So the whole compressor + tools came to £109

curiousyellow
    Free Member

@julians sounds good. It worked without a hitch I take it?

@matther01 the SGS compressor looked decent, but the Prestaflator came to about £30-£55 shipped from the US! There’ll probably be additional charges for duty/tax and it doesn’t include the airline either.

This jobber looks good for the money though. Reckon it will do the trick? Comes in cheaper than the Screwfix compressor and free next day delivery means I don’t need to drive there.

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/air-compressors/6-litre-oil-less-air-compressor-tool-kit

julians
    Free Member

Yep it worked fine.

If I was you id go for the larger capacity compressor for another 30 quid (inc tools) , youll find that 6 litre one runs out of puff pretty rapidly.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

How much puff do you need to inflate a couple of tyres?

julians
    Free Member

Better to have too much than too little especially for 30 quid price difference.

6litre is prob fine in most circumstances, but you might find it lacking at times.

Its Just my opinion.

nickc

£100 to inflate a tyre?

Kwikfit and a packet of bourbons?

julians
    Free Member

Inflate a tyre for a man and he can ride for 6 months, buy him a compressor and he can ride forever.

Or he can pump furiously .

Horses for courses, compressor is the no hassle way. Ive struggled over tbe past 2 years with track/foot pump/going to kwikfit, I shouldve got a compressor two years ago

nickc

Aye, OPs money he can spend it as he wishes, and I’ve often had to walk away from a non inflating tubeless before throwing the whole lot in the bin.

But they normally end up getting inflated, and as much as I’ve wanted to buy one I’ve never had to resort to a compressor. Co2 is my measure of last resort and its never let me down

curiousyellow
    Free Member

£100 to inflate a tyre?

In the words of Mario Balotelli “because I am rich”.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON-7v4qnHP8[/video]

I was thinking about the smaller compressor for the portability. Also means a bit of space saving in the garage. I guess I can use it as a blower if I wanted to as well.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Best Online Cheap Compressor For Tubeless Installs Please?’ is closed to new replies.