• This topic has 16 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Best helmet cam for the commute?
  • easyrider
    Free Member

Does anybody have any recommendations? 🙂

fourbanger
    Free Member

I recommend developing your defensive riding skills, maybe buy the police drivers handbook, but I’m sure there are more relevant publications. A video of your commute to work sounds dull.

RobHilton
    Free Member

How about a suggestion for a cheap, small camera with decent quality playback (not instant) that could be used as evidence should I get knocked off (again!) and next time the driver isn’t so cooperative?

project
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZy_Pub985A&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/video]

Filmed on a 15 quid mini cammera from 7DAYSHOP.COM
    http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=110355

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RRa8ZdUm0U[/video]

Filmed on a Muvi Veho,

Both good cameras, and 7 dayshop make a muvi copy for about 15 quid.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Perfecto!

Cheers.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Blimey that’s pretty cheap!!

project
    Free Member

12 months guarantee on the 7 day shop stufa nad come with mounting bkt for handlebars, and charger for car use.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

and charger for car use.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

That *is* cheap. Quality looks good as well. In a torch case LOL!

Video review says 1 hour battery life, website says 3. Any idea which is right?

Shame it misses 2 seconds each time it saves a 5 minute segment.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

fourbanger – Member
    I recommend developing your defensive riding skills, maybe buy the police drivers handbook, but I’m sure there are more relevant publications.

I use a Muvi for ‘evidence reasons’ also, cheap but quality and weatherproofing are limited.

ourmaninthenorth

Video review says 1 hour battery life, website says 3. Any idea which is right?

If the former, it’d miss off 33% of my commute. If the latter, it wouldn’t do there and back…. 🙄

EDIT: I ought to say that I don’t think it’s a bad idea, especially given the number of people I know have been SMIDSYd in spite of their defensive riding. Injuries have been contested, whereas we all know that this sort of evidence can have some sway.

project
    Free Member

Our man , buy 2 then one for out and one for r eturn, you could give them names and a fancy colour scheme

ourmaninthenorth

I’ve often wondered at the practice of naming inanimate objects. I’ve tried it, but it doesn’t sit well.

I am unimaginative….

So, project, what sort of runtime do you get from yours between charges?

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Muvi Veho here. About 90 minutes on full charge (not quite enough for my 1hr plus each way commute but I switch it off on the cycle path bits)

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

EDIT: I ought to say that I don’t think it’s a bad idea, especially given the number of people I know have been SMIDSYd in spite of their defensive riding. Injuries have been contested, whereas we all know that this sort of evidence can have some sway.

I had an ongoing debate with local police about why they wouldn’t accept video evidence of mobile phone use whilst driving. Still haven’t got a satisfactory reply. It seems if you’re caught using a mobile phone you merely need to claim to have been making a call to the emergency services which the police seem to think is completely unverifiable (despite there being clear records on a person’s phone and with their phone operator). Add to that I’m not sure why it’s acceptable to put other people’s lives in danger whilst making an emergency call was something else there wasn’t a satisfactory answer to either.

They did say that video evidence could be valuable in the event of an accident.

Always good to know that when someone’s put you in hospital they could be liable for a fine of £60 (less than a London parking ticket) and 3 points on their licence. That’s what the bus driver who ran me down by overtaking on the wrong side of the road into the path of an oncoming car, whilst I was indicating to turn right got.

samuri
    Free Member

GoPro’s are very poor in low light. Just saying.

DezB
    Free Member

If 7dayshop out of stock, some Ebay sellers have them too.

A video of your commute to work sounds dull.

It certainly is, but it’s not for sharing on extreme sports websites is it? Duh.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Best helmet cam for the commute?’ is closed to new replies.