Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Best front mudguard
  • gkeeffe

For a boost pike!

kiwijohn

Mudhugger.

cooie

Yep!

Northwind

I have a mudhugger but tbh not totally sold- it’s fugly and it’s a bit funnelly, it definitely can gather mud in. So I took it off and went back to my trusty Shockboard, which is marginally less fugly, doesn’t affect mud clearance, and is a little bit more effective with water (just because it hangs back slightly further). OTOH, the fitting mech of hte shockboard is horrible, so mine are always held on with cable ties but they are very, very good.

(the fatbike still has its mudhugger on, different rules apply!)

geex
    Free Member

I thought a mudhugger might be prone to clogging in certain conditions.

Have you tried any of the Rockguardz Mudguardz? I don’t really like the look of long mudguards so purely for vanity sakes bought a Mudguardz PG350. it’s a much shorter guard but moulded in such a way that the rear scoop catches a lot of spray as it comes up and forwards from the back of the tyre and the front is shaped so as to have less chance of trapping mud in the front portion but still enough coverage to stop face spray. There’s no way mine can clog as I’m using it on a 650b fork but with a 26″ wheel and 2.4 tyre. Dispite the obvious extra distance between the tyre and guard it still does a great job of keeping mud and spray off my face and upper body.

Anyone tried the Rapid Racer Products Proguards yet? The longer max protection version looks like it’d have the ultimate coverage for a fork brace mounted guard while the shorter standard one looks a bit better for just leaving on the bike all year round. Both look to be a better thought out shape than the mudhugger.

Good to see we’re all so optimistic about a dry summer

😀

milky1980
    Free Member

Which MudHugger do you already have?  The standard one is a bit weedy for boost and larger wheels whereas the FR version has much more coverage.  Never had either of my versions clog and that’s even riding through the FOD natural slop that can stop a runaway train dead in 50ft!

SirHC

Mudguardz PG350/450 are good, run the 350 year round, 450 when its proper shitty.

Also have a powa dfender, also very good and bonus of no cable ties to secure it.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

The defender type which fit with a plug inside the steerer  tube are  way better than the other types in terms of keeping mud off you and clearance . Unfortunately they look ugly and are prone to rattling .

steveh

The biggest mud hugger there is for me or equivalent rockguardz one. Amazing in bad conditions.

montgomery
    Free Member

After an apocalyptically muddy ride in December, I fitted a Topeak DeFender, and it’s worked well all winter – nothing gets past my knees. It sometimes rattles (but didn’t this weekend), and I can’t comment on how it’ll fare in a crash, but it’s the best front mudguard I’ve had.

Kahurangi

I’ve found SKS Shockboards don’t survove very many crashes before being sent to the bin.

Both my MTBs now have Mudhugger/Rockguardz on, and may have a Marshguard on for the summer instead.

Northwind

Hmm, I have some that are years old. When you break them, what’s breaking? The mounting point cracks instantly but that doesn’t really matter

pothead
    Free Member

Currently running a mudhugger ( not sure which model ) and a 2.35 magic mary on non boost pike, clearance is tight but I have only once had problems with it clogging up badly. This happened whilst racing the Naughty Northumbrian enduro last year, fresh cut off piste trails in very wet conditions. I would say it’s a close call between the mudhugger and the much smaller Marsh guard I was using beforehand, both do the job very well

jedi

I love my front hugger from mudhugger. The best I hVe have seen or used

martinhutch

Found a downtube guard was much better at keeping shite out of my face. Probably because I’m a shortarse

zippykona

With the mudhugger on my 5 it was clogging up with a 2.3 nobby nic. (to be fair it never jammed up the mud on the tyre was simply in contact with the guard)

As it was so muddy I put my 2.0 Bontrager Muds on and never even had a hint of a problem.

Maybe put proper tyres on.

nairnster
    Free Member

I like my Zefal Deflector FM20

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Best front mudguard’ is closed to new replies.