Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Best free (or cheap) vinyl to CD software?
  • higgo
    Free Member

I have a USB turntable but I’m not impressed with the software that came with it.

What I would like to do is:
    1) Start recording one side of an album
    2) Come back to it some time later to find I’ve copied the music and about 20mins of crackly white noise at the end
    3) Repeat for side two
    4) Lop off the unwatned recording at the end of both
    5) Combine them into one
    6) Separate them into individual named tracks
    7) Save them as if they were a CD (.wma if poss but as high qual as poss)

The provided software will let me split it into track if I’m there at the time but I really need to be able to get on with my life and do all that kind of processing after the fact.

Any recommendations for nice simple software to do what I want to do?

I’ve already whittled it down to only those albums that (i) can’t be bought on CD and (ii) I can’t find anywhere to download (iii) stand the test of time (obviously highly subjective!).

Cletus

Hi,

You could try Golden Records from NCH Software

http://www.nch.com.au/golden/index.html

I have not used that particular program but use other products from NCH and have always found them to work well. I think there is a time limited eval version so you can try it before parting with cash.

Milkie
    Free Member

I use SoundForge for cutting up mixes and vinyl and general sound editting. A free alternative, which will do everything you need it to is Audacity.

You can record, delete sections, add cue points, split the tracks, remove noise, pops crackles and hum.

higgo
    Free Member

I’ve tried Golden Records. I like it – particularly the ability to record 33rpm at 45rpm – but it tries to split the recording into tracks for me and doesn’t always get it right. If I could turn that off it would be close to what I want.

dogbert
    Free Member

I use Steinberg Wavelab, its a tad expensive but Audacity is a fine substitute

higgo
    Free Member

Anyone mind if I revive this thread?

I’ve still not got round to digitising my old vinyl. I’ve bought/downloaded what I can but I’ve still got half a box of stuff that I can’t find anywhere.

My basic requirements haven’t changed – I want to bung an alsbum on a USB turntable and then spilt it, name tracks etc later.

Any recommendations?

edit: ps – I’ve tried Audacity in the past and not got on with it, though it may have improved since.

DezB
    Free Member

I bought a Sony USB turntable and it came with software. Haven’t used it for a while but it splits tracks and has a “de-crackle” function.
    (Likely to be SoundForge, as that is Sony?)

Here’s a sample what I stuck on YT-

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUj0HMyg3To&feature=relmfu[/video]

higgo
    Free Member

Does it split the tracks automatically?
    The software I got with the turntable does that but doesn’t always get it right. I’d rather do it myself.

ransos
    Free Member

I use polderbits. It finds the gaps between tracks and removes crackle. No need for a USB turntable, just use analogue, though it does work best with a decent soundcard.

DezB
    Free Member

Does it split the tracks automatically?

I think it was a bit hit & miss. Easy to sort if it “missed”. Its never going to be a quick and easy process though with that rubbish old vinyl format. 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Best free (or cheap) vinyl to CD software?’ is closed to new replies.