Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Best descent off Cross Fell / Great Dun Fell / High Cup Nick / Murton / Hilton
  • wzzzz
    Free Member

Staying near Appleby and can do a couple of hours of fun time.

Whats the best descent off the side of the fell there? Theres a quite a few BW and Footpaths marked off the fells.

Are there any interesting tech descents (I like Lakes rocky steeps) or are they all shooting roads and grass sheep tracks?

Cheers.

mrchrist

The bridleway over the top is a bit dull. Nice to tick off. That is the limit to my knowledge.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Rode the bridleway down to blencarn on Sunday which was a nice run down, bit indistinct and boggy as owt at the top but a nice ride once it firmed up. Not techy or difficult but an enjoyable run none the less.

midlifecrashes

If you head east along the Pennine Way from the High Cup viewpoint you’re not far from Cauldron Snout, in my view the best waterfall in UK. I can’t recall what the path beside it is like for riding, but I’d pop over for the view anyway.

jonba
    Free Member

It’s not the one from Greg’s hut to Garrigill after is was gravelled 🙁

The ride over to Cow Green reservoir is nice but not hard. Cauldrons snout might not be too impressive right now though as levels are low. Nice spot all the same.

I’d probably suggest you take a look at the two descents coming down the side of High Cup Nick. You could probably do a lap up one side, photo at the top then down the other. Both sides are good but I normally come down the northerly one.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Thanks all. Whats the footpath like down the middle of High Cup Nick? looks like there might be a fun steep bit at the top?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Here’s the view. save you going.

High Cup 1990's

Whats the footpath like down the middle of High Cup Nick? looks like there might be a fun steep bit at the top?

IIRC, I don’t think you could ride off the edge from the top, but It’s ages since I’ve been, as you can tell by the photo! So i may be wrong.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Is that a Kona Sex Too?

They really knew how to name bikes in 1996.

jonba
    Free Member
    wzzzz
    Free Member

Thats amazing. If you turn to the right a bit and zoom in you can see where I think the FP goes over the edge and down the valley.

Looks like a cliff as you say.

I think I will go up round there then, and take a look.

Do we think up by Murton Pike then down by peeping hill. The FP does loose all its height rather quickly.

Thanks.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Best descent off Cross Fell / Great Dun Fell / High Cup Nick / Murton / Hilton’ is closed to new replies.