Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)
  • Best descent in the Lakes area?
  • boxelder

parkedtiger

Go anticlockwise and from Carrock Beck take the N’most black dash trail towards Low Pike, double back Swards to High Pike. The descent from Lingy is very steep, rocky, deep heather.
    Do it clockwise and it’s hike a bike to Lingy, then the fast drop to Carrock Beck.
    I presume you’ve done the descents N and W off High Pike?

parkedtiger
    Free Member

I’ve walked that section of the Cumbria Way many years ago (as a kid) but have never ridden any of those tops. It was the descent from Lingy down to Carrock Beck that was looking appealing though 🙂

GaVgAs
    Free Member

From Lingy to Carrick beck is a grassy decent,with a few rocky sections its not used a lot and gets overgrown with bracken in a month or so.

The flatter section from the Hut can be boggy,it should be ok now though after a dryish spell. 😉

I would do the Climb East of High Pike and then take the flatter path to the hut (not marked on map) from there,as the Bridleway climb is soft grass rather than hard paked gravel. 😀

ridethelakes
    Free Member

Surprised no one has mentioned HP Plantation between Staveley and Kentmere 🙂

djglover
    Free Member

watendlath > rosthwaite
    Nan bield
    Walna Scar
    Off Parkamoor to Satterthwaite
    Iron Keld

Yetiman
    Free Member

Excellent post. I’m off to Heversham in 3 weeks and should hopefully have time to squeeze in a ride somewhere. I just need to decide which one to do.

grumm
    Free Member

Bump 🙂

lowey

Did anyone mention Gatescarth ?

We did the Nan Bield classic a few weeks ago, and IMO Gatescarth to Haweswater is better than the Nan Bield switchacks… Technical, fast, scary steep… it ticks all the boxes a lakes descent should have (except a pub at the bottom).

Good bump Grumm.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Bump

Off to the Lakes this weekend. On the hit list is Ullock, Rosset Gill and Nan Bield

😛

nickc

Hause Gate to Manesty (last few 100 metres is cheeky, or a short walk) or Watendlath to Rosthwaite

DavidM
    Free Member

Bump – Why not? Anyone learnt anything in the last year? Turns out the Lap of Great Gable ride is a peach, as it Hobcarton End, allthough I think my current favourite might be the descent from Bow Fell down to Seathwaite. Heading up t’Lakes again tomorrow, Seeing the fairfeild horseshoe mentioned has intrigued me, might have to give that a go, Helvelyn – Dollywagon – Grisedale Hause – Grasmere via the eroded trail that isn’t the Bridleway looks interesting as well. Anyone else found owt they would like to share?

samcamsdad

ridethelakes, shhhhhhhhhh dont tell about cumbrias worst kept secret. 😉

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Did a good route a couple of weeks ago. 4passes in one ride :

Garburn pass into kentmere,

along stile end into sadgill, up the valley onto gatesgarth pass,

down to hawswater then the carry up to the top of nan bield.

Descend back into Kentmere then back over garburn. Set off at 6:30am, got back to the car at 12:30pm. 21miles distance with 5500 feet of climbing. Got back knackerd but happy. 😀

postierich
    Free Member

great info!

Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Best descent in the Lakes area?’ is closed to new replies.