Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)
  • Best descent in the Lakes area?
  • grumm
    Free Member

I know it’s not strictly the Lakes but I did the descent from Bram Rigg Top down past Winder in the Howgills last night again, and it was bloody awesome – think it must be my favourite descent.

What’s yours?

There’s still a few good looking ones in the Lakes I need to try – mainly Skiddaw.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Nan Bield, Hellvelyn down to Glenriding?

anagallis_arvensis

From Lonscale fell down latrigg into Keswick, not technical, not swoopy but for some reason that ride on a summers evening clear of walkers…. pure heaven IMO.

hora
    Free Member

Recently- Walna Scar to the Quarry. I’m still ‘learning’ the Lakes though 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

Not done Nan Bield yet – that’s on my list to try soon. Which Hellvelyn descent do you mean, down Dollywagon/Grisedale?

I like that Latrigg descent too (when free of walkers it’s fast as hell), is it called Spoony Green Lane?

Walna Scar is also great – I like long descents.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Yes dollywagon/grisdale.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I think the descent down Iron Keld would be one of my favourites – there isn’t any 1 thing about it that is “better” than anything else in the area, but there is a superb combination of fun, views, speed… and a couple of jars in the Drunken Duck before hand may have added to the memories 🙂

That’s a nice one through the Howgills though, not done that since the early 1990’s!

Another I love is coming over from Troutbeck to Ambleside – cannae remember the name, but that is a lovely bit of trail.

grumm
    Free Member

Jenkin Crag?

Garburn Pass is another favourite of mine come to think of it.

neil853
    Free Member

I’d go with Garburn pass, very good descent!

Pook

Top of the calf through borrowdale in the howgills. Did it the other day with haddock and it’s amazing

Sanny
    Free Member

The best descents in the Lakes are definitely the cheeky ones…………..quite why Englandshire persists with the notion of walker good, biker bad is beyond me. The hills are big enough to accommodate everyone.

Sanny

GreenRoom
    Free Member

Nan Bield the other way is apparently quite exciting I have heard! Sticks pass to the mine and down to Glenridding is really good. Would add my vote for the section from Grisedale tarn down to Patterdale. Not so keen on Walna Scar it’s a bit dull really.

Garburn down to kentmere is a bit dull, over in a flash. Down to Troutbeck is awesome especially the bottom bit on a short travel bike riding like you stole it.

Would be nice to hear of any more out of the way descents, obscure stuff.

Do we post about <ahem> cheeky routes on here or is that not the done thing?

grumm
    Free Member

Top of the calf through borrowdale in the howgills.

Bowderdale? Not been that way – the VG Guide describes it as very disappointing – I take it they are wrong then?

The best descents in the Lakes are definitely the cheeky ones.

Any examples?

I liked the bit from Grisedale Tarn on Hellvelyn, but the steps at the top spoilt it a bit for me.

Richyb
    Free Member

Nice technical but shortish descent – Boredale Hause to Side Farm

zokes
    Free Member

Walna Scar Road to Coniston or Garburn Pass to Kentmere for me.

hora
    Free Member

Boredale Hause- not a descent as such however further along from there- along the Ullswater singletrack. Rocktastic and goes on FOREVER 😀

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Current favourite is still Ullock Pike (off Skiddaw). However, I’m off to try Gasgale Gill from Coldale Hause for the first time on Sunday – should be fun.

Richyb
    Free Member

Yep Ullswater singletrack is a belter, especially if you go south to north and take the top track, to ‘silver point’

snowslave

This is like that question about naming your top 5 fave songs – it makes my head explode trying to choose. So I’ll pick the last good one I did a couple of weeks back to stop my brain frying.

I reckon the downhill into Boot from Burnmoor Tarn was blimmin good fun – 2 of us did it v early morning, not a walker in sight. One of those does life get any better moments. I was grinning my face off at the end of that one.

The long bridleway into Seathwaite (Styhead Gyll?) is pretty good too.

Never done Nan Bield and that looks ace – we had to can our last attempt at that cos someone fell off big style beforehand forcing a re-plan etc. But’s it’s defo on the list of ones I think I must try.

I love riding in the lakes per se – it’s just brilliant for big days out pretty much all year round.

hora
    Free Member

We looped right round (avoiding the singletrack along the back of Boredale Hause. Started the descent across grass then faster down- brings you out next to some farm buildings- onto tarmac as you loop round then onto it proper- is that right Richyb? I dont know any names- I just follow!

Sanny
    Free Member

Richyb

A fine trail that is indeed.

Parkedtiger – agreed. It’s an absolute classic. I rode that the weekend before last. Absolutely outstanding with very few walkers compared to the main Bridleway.

Has anyone ridden on or around Haystacks and that area? What about Grisedale Pike to the west of Keswick?

Cheers

Sanny

chakaping
    Free Member

I think I want to move to the Lakes.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

There’s two great descents heading off the top of Grisedale towards Whinlatter – Hobcarton End and ‘the other one’. Both well worth the shove up (although the next time I go up, I’m planning on riding up the South Loop of the Altura trail then just jump the fence).

Richyb
    Free Member

Sounds like you did an anti clockwise loop, pushing up from Side Farm, then down Boredale (or maybe Martindale) to Sandwick and then south along the lakeside (Ullswater on your right) to complete the loop. Its better IMO if you do it clockwise. From side farm head north along the lake side then pick up the top track which ends up with a great technical descent to silver point (as on pic above), then you follow the lakeshore to Sandwick, and loop round into Boredale, you then climb up the valley steadily (bit of hike a bike at the top) and finish with a great descent from Boredale Hause to Side Farm, some pics below. Makes a great short loop/night ride

hora
    Free Member

Yep we had the lake on our right as we went along Ullswater singletrack. seemed faster-no pedalling for almost the whole way along- just carried the speed to climb up each ‘U’ in the trail 😀

will suggest we try your route next time tho as the above pics look mightily-tastey.

grumm
    Free Member

Nice one people – got some more to try now. More pics would be nice too.

That descent down to Side Farm looks fun – been down from Boredale Hause towards Low Hartsop which is silly steep and loose at the top but not that interesting.

hora
    Free Member

Plus….. I have allthegearnoidea new forks now- Lyriks so I will be able to compensate muchly for my lack of talent 😀

freeridenick
    Free Member

Just before the Hike a Bike

Nan Bield towards Kentmere

hora
    Free Member

How hard is Nan Bield? Is it rollable or alot of sustained line-picking and not good for sh*t riders?

freeridenick
    Free Member
    freeridenick
    Free Member

hora, I rode it with MikeW of surrey Hills fame and we both though it ace, pretty tech in places – and the hike a bike is awful to be honest but worth it!

grumm
    Free Member
    freeridenick
    Free Member

cheers grumm, though it was around there somewhere.

freeridenick
    Free Member

– just found my own answer from the Side farm website!

grumm
    Free Member

I was confused by your map link of Rossett Gill!

freeridenick
    Free Member

yes sorry was looking at another route!

Richyb
    Free Member

Still to have a crack at Rossett Gill, some friends pics below

hora
    Free Member

freeridenick are the techy-bits sustained or can you have a breather inbetween? I dont mind relatively open rocky/loose bits inbetween or places to stop- its the relentless long turning stepdowns that fry my brain!!

hora
    Free Member

Rossett Gill looks too hard for me 🙁

freeridenick
    Free Member

hora, tech bits with breathers I would say!

Rossett Gill looks amazing! RichyB, can you link me to these pics on flickr, cheers Nick

Ullock Pike looks good but very cheeky !

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Best descent in the Lakes area?’ is closed to new replies.