Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 148 total)
  • Best decade for music – clearly the 90s?
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

Its a completely correct statement – all the pretentious hair rockers like Floyd where comprehensivly blown away buy punk.

No it isn’t.

I was there man!

So was I. Grew up listening to my elder siblings music, some punk but a lot of New Wave that came off the back of it, Elvis Costello, The Clash, Joe Jackson, The Jam. Arguably a lot more important than the actual punk.

Also, a lot Ska, Madness, Specials, Selector etc.

However, I also listened to Pink Floyd, The Eagles, Simon and Garfunkel and Led Zepplin. They were all doing very well and weren’t, in anyway, “blown away by punk”. You can keep saying it but it simply isn’t true.

tjagain

Of course its true! Its absolutely obvious – as you say punk blew things open adn opened the space for a lot more new music to come thru but the rock dinosaurs became irrelevant overnight. sure folk like you clung on to the past and its memories but once the scene opened up the with so much good new music coming thru the rock dinosaurs were nowhere. No innovation from them – just more of the same pretentious nonsense

Sales is no indication – are the spice girls not the biggest selling band ever?

gobuchul
    Free Member

as you say punk blew things open adn opened the space for a lot more new music to come thru

This is true.

This isn’t.

but the rock dinosaurs became irrelevant overnight.

No they didn’t. How many bands have named some of them as influences?

One quick example. Oasis – Named Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones as some of theirs.

tjagain

Because they had no brains they took a while to die. 😉 Oasis – just another mediocre band – really you are using them for evidence – and anyway I thought Oasis named the beatles as their main influence?

Want influential 70s musicians you want folk like Moroder and Cirone

RustySpanner

You lot, take a good long look at yourselves.
    🙂

It’s all just noise.
    Some you like, some you don’t.

It’s about width of mind, not width of trouser.
    😀

gobuchul
    Free Member

It’s all just noise.
    Some you like, some you don’t.

Totally agree. I am not arguing about which band is “better”.

However, foolishly I have ended up arguing with TJ, who can’t seem to separate the subjective from the objective and just keeps repeating incorrect statements.

IdleJon

Its a completely correct statement – all the pretentious hair rockers like Floyd where comprehensivly blown away buy punk. I was there man!

The fact that you think Floyd were pretentious hair rockers suggests that you haven’t got a clue what you’re talking about. Pretentious, yes. Hair rockers? 🙄

Sales is no indication – are the spice girls not the biggest selling band ever?

This suggests that you’re trolling or just looking for attention. Again.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I’m a professional musician….I play a LOT of covers gigs, from blues clubs, to dive boozers, to decent paid corporate stuff. Played everything from jazz standards, through Beatles, Stones, Led Zeppelin, Police, Michael Jackson, Oasis, Arctic’s Monkeys, Any Winehouse and most stuff in between……never played any Punk!

The most overated, under talented try hard bunch there is!!! I get it as a social/political statement (even though they seem to have been a bunch of posh kids that like to spit) but musically, it’s just awful!!! Like absolutely dire!!

RustySpanner

🙂

All music is important to someone, and no one’s experience or opinion is more valid than anyone elses.

Funny though.
    [video]https://youtu.be/1kaOGsC1S1s[/video]

Tom B – Member
    I’m a professional musician.

And you lot are the worst of all.
    🙂
    Never, ever talk to a musician about music.
    It’s like finding out Kylie eats her own earwax.

badnewz
    Free Member

@Tom B what are your thoughts about The Clash?
    I think they started off as punk but developed into something far bigger and better.

funkmasterp

The most overated, under talented try hard bunch there is!!! I get it as a social/political statement (even though they seem to have been a bunch of posh kids that like to spit) but musically, it’s just awful!!! Like absolutely dire!!

I’m not a fan of the Pistols, but there were some great punk bands in both the first and second wave. You can’t just dismiss them all. You mention Oasis who, for me, fall right in to the first sentence you typed. They were the Jive Bunny of Brit Pop.

Punk gave us The Clash, Bad Brains, Bad Religion, Rancid classic And Out Come The Wolves, Dead Kennedy’s and many more. Even the Beastie Boys started life as a Hardcore band and always returned to that style.

Punk had a great influence on many bands like The Pixies, Fugazi and Nirvana

tjagain

Gobuchel – I am not repeating incorrect statements any more than you are – as you IIRC rightly pointed out its all opinion – but yes – Floyd were what the NME name Boring old farts post punk

My view and that of loads of other folk at the time was that punk opened doors that were previously closed and created the space for a lot of good new music and that all the longhairs of the previous decade suddenly looked old, boring and devoid of ideas

Its not that punk was good – most of it was dire but it opened up the music industry in a whole new way and that from that opening of doors came a whole load of great music.

andeh

The last 10 years has been a huge decade for those making and listening to the music.

Digital distribution, home recording, social media and crowdfunding have made it so much easier for anyone and everyone to have a go at making music and vastly improved the chances of people other than their mum ever listening to it. You can easily carve yourself a niche without it being financially viable for the record labels. That’s nice, but also hugely overwhelming.

That said, any 90s dance tracks with “that” style piano (you know the one) brings me out in hives. It sounded dated to 8 year old me at the time, and it’s even worse now. Steve Lamacq loves that shit 😐

gobuchul
    Free Member

I am not repeating incorrect statements any more than you are – as you IIRC rightly pointed out its all opinion

It’s not opinion.

Your statement that they were “blown away” is simply wrong. If they were “blown away” how come they continued to fill stadiums for years after? How come they were named as influences by a lot of musicians in the future.

You may have an opinion that they were shit, people were sad to continue to follow them and it could only be a negative influence. That’s a valid opinion.

The statement “blown away” is just utter horseshit.

tjagain

Blown away means that they now appeared dull, devoid of ideas and uninteresting compared to what came after. As in ” blown away by new ideas”

Spice girls filled stadiums and sold records – but were they any good?

RustySpanner

Edit:
    I’ve just read TJ’s assertions and I disagree. 😀

All the punks/travellers I knew in Manchester were still listening to all the classic old stuff too.

In fact they listened to everything.

There was a massively ecclectic scene, Jilly’s one night, The Hac the next, Soul all nighters at The Ritz, Band On The Wall for Reggae and Jazz.
    We had a huge thirst for music and didn’t particularly care where it came from.

From memory I think the people who worried about the image rather than the music tended to live at home with their mum.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Blown away means that they now appeared dull, devoid of ideas and uninteresting compared to what came after. As in ” blown away by new ideas”

In your head maybe.

IdleJon

The last 10 years has been a huge decade for those making and listening to the music.

Digital distribution, home recording, social media and crowdfunding have made it so much easier for anyone and everyone to have a go at making music and vastly improved the chances of people other than their mum ever listening to it.

Such a pity that so few acts are making anything interesting or new. It leads to debates like this one and the suggestion that everything is being recycled.

A genuine question, because I am old enough to be out of the loop, but has there been any new movement or genre of music that has made an impact in the last ten years?

tjagain

Been some very good music recently – In some ways it reminds me of 77 in that now if you want to make music its easy to find an audience and the scene fragments as a result.

IdleJon

Such as?

tjagain

Idlejon – the whole music industry is much mre fragmented now than it used to be.

There is plenty of good and innovative stuff out there but I am rather out of the loop.

Daft Punks random access memories was not really new music but very good. Caro Emerald is doing some good jazz / pop crossover, some very interesting dance music about.

IdleJon

There is plenty of good and innovative stuff out there but I am rather out of the loop.

That’s my point TJ. I’m old enough to not be aware of new trends, new styles of music, but I haven’t heard anything ground shaking for a long, long time. Every time we have a similar debate to this someone makes the above comment, yet has never demonstrated that the new ways of recording and distributing music has produced anything other new ways of recording/distributing the same old tired styles of music.

I am genuinely interested to see if I’m missing something.

andeh

I think that music moves and evolves at a much faster pace than it used to. Again, digital distribution has had a huge effect on that. Because A&R, record companies, printers and shops don’t have to be involved, artists can release new material on a weekly basis.

A lot of the newer genres of music evolve and change so rapidly that often its a long time before the big companies get chance to sell it. Just because you haven’t heard of it, doesn’t mean it hasn’t had a large impact.

Think about grime, it’s been around for the best part of 20 years but it’s only really become widely consumed in the last 10 years when the bigger labels have signed associated artists. Social media and youtube have had a massive impact in the proliferation of the genre, with artists just filming them selves out on the street. I can’t stand grime, but there’s no denying it’s had a huge impact. That’s why all the kids I teach in North Lincs like to talk like they’re from a council estate in East London and “spit bars”
    ( 🙄 ) in the corridors.

tjagain

Idlejon – got spotify? – a wander around there shows you a lot of good new music

Tom-B
    Free Member

Ha I agree that pro musos are a nightmare to talk to about music!

As for The Clash, I only really like London Calling tbh, and only really because of how iconic it is.

In terms of Oasis, agree….totally agree that they aren’t exactly ground breaking musically! (I never said that they were) Bonehead and their bass player even back in the day were about as competent as the average 14 year old that I teach that’s had maybe 2 years of lessons! If you want to entertain a pub of pissed up 30 year olds, playing a load of Oasis is a 100% winner though! Can’t imagine playing some Sex Pistols would have the same result. Maybe playing London Calling would actually? I shall try it out!

IdleJon

Idlejon – got spotify? – a wander around there shows you a lot of good new music

Yep, plus apple music, and I download, buy lots of CDs and am lucky enough to be able to listen to lots of radio most days. I find plenty of new bands, just no new movements/genres/styles/call it what you want. So when people say that the internet makes music sooooo much better than in the past then I wonder what I’m missing. Maybe its me being stuck in my rock/folk/singer-songwriter rut. 🙂

tjagain

New genres / directions? You are right – nowt new that I have heard for a while. Just new artists

DezB
    Free Member

just no new movements/genres/styles/call it what you want

Have a look on a download site like Juno download – see how many genres on there you know about. Just because you don’t like them, doesn’t mean they don’t exist!
    This is a nonsense discussion- because there is no ‘best’ decade – they all have their gems, their shite and they all have stuff you haven’t heard and stuff I haven’t heard which may well be the most amazing thing ever!
    The best thing is, we have all those past bands, genres, artists, whatever from all the previous decades to discover, thanks to the internet. So many people just sit there listening to the same old stuff they always listened to and say ‘oh there’s nothing as good as this anymore’! It’s their own narrow mindedness that’s the problem!
    That’s all I have to say and you know I’m right 😛

richmars

The best thing is, we have all those past bands, genres, artists, whatever from all the previous decades to discover, thanks to the internet. So many people just sit there listening to the same old stuff they always listened to and say ‘oh there’s nothing as good as this anymore’! It’s their own narrow mindedness that’s the problem!

I sort of agree with this, but at the same time I often just want to listen to something I know I’ll like, added to not really having the time to spend looking for new music. I know I should, maybe when I retire!

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

I’m off to see Shawn Smith who needs lists?

ransos
    Free Member

Seems to be more like “the decade you stopped listening to new music in”.

If that’s what I meant, that’s what I would’ve said. I’ve continued to enjoy new music since the 90s, and Spotify is brilliant, but I rarely if ever have the connection I had with the music I grew up with.

slowoldman

Anyway, anyone mentioned Zappa yet?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Most everything else since the 90s has been derivative to the point of imitation.

Nonsense! The nineties imitated the 70’s and 60s, right down to the plaid-laden hairyearthyness and the basin-cut pop-ness, respectively. Even the (indulge me) closing theme to the decade (‘Endtroducing’) was a bunch of cleverly-cut samples featuring 70s breakbeats, licks and retro soul snippets. Some delicious stuff. And very reminiscent.

Then 2k arrived, along with new and truly ground-breaking stuff from Boredoms, Gorillaz, Outkast etc (off top of head)

Edukator
    Free Member

1973 for crowd pleasers for any generation.

ZZ top La grange
    lynyrd Skynyrd Sweet Home Alabama
    Slade Cum on feel the noize
    Status Quo Caroline

I don’t think any of these have been mentioned so far. Try them Tom B. Along with American Idiot if you want to do a punk song.

Junkyard
    Free Member

lynyrd Skynyrd Sweet Home Alabama

A song written by a bunch of rednecks in response to Neil Youngs southern man
    worth reading the history of this song

it was released in 1974 BTW

DezB
    Free Member

Who cares..? it’s bloody awful.

gobuchul
    Free Member

A song written by a bunch of rednecks in response to Neil Youngs southern man

That’s exactly the attitude that provoked the writing of the song.

You obviously haven’t read the history.

In his 2012 autobiography Waging Heavy Peace, Young commented on his role in the song’s creation, writing “My own song ‘Alabama’ richly deserved the shot Lynyrd Skynyrd gave me with their great record. I don’t like my words when I listen to it. They are accusatory and condescending, not fully thought out, and too easy to misconstrue”

“the band was speaking for the entire South, saying to northerners, we’re not judging you as ordinary citizens for the failures of your leaders in Watergate; don’t judge all of us as individuals for the racial problems of southern society”

teasel
    Free Member

Sweet Home Alabama…bloody awful.

Amen. I had to play that in a shit covers band. That and that awful, long winded piece of shit Freebird. The latter is probably good if you’re a guitarist but that **** solo at the end – aaaargh!

On my last performance of that song, which was always the last song, at some point in the solo I drifted off into an image of me wandering off mid-solo and while passing the guitarist, giving him a gentle shove and watch him tumble over his Marshall, legs akimbo, guitar merely humming.

It’s true that the things you don’t do are what you regret the most…

scud
    Free Member

I suppose for me it was the late 80’s into 90’s yes.. But then i was born in ’75, so 18 in ’92. I listen to a lot of 70’s rock and there are some great songs, but so much of it was really up itself and pretentious.

I think that it was the time for me that a lot of styles of music found a real footing (not when they were created).

– Electronic dance music really found a footing, and diversified into house/techno/drum and bass and had a scene which may be much derided but really bought youth together
    – Some great British guitar bands, that may have taken inspiration from earlier decades, but really livened up guitar music again after synth heavy 80’s – Stone Roses (may ’89 i know), Suede, Radiohead etc and had a very British sound.
    – American rock and grunge, end of crap hair metal and the like, Nirvana, Pixies, Pearl Jam, Sonic Youth were exciting.
    – Metal and heavy rock, no more daft stage shows and big hair, Rage Against the Machine, Queens of the Stone Age and System of a Down.
    – “Trip hop” with Tricky, Portishead..
    – Hip Hop and Rap really came of age, from the anger of Public Enemy to thoughtful DJ Shadow/ DJ Cam etc

I just think that it the music was diverse and many styles of music really came of age, plus the country as a whole seemed positive in the early 90’s but maybe that is just my shonky memory!

Junkyard
    Free Member

last week was a nice hiatus wasnt it 😉

I get the point but if someone accused me of racism that is not the response i would give whilst waving the confederate flag.
    YMMV

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 148 total)

The topic ‘Best decade for music – clearly the 90s?’ is closed to new replies.