Viewing 28 posts - 121 through 148 (of 148 total)
  • Best decade for music – clearly the 90s?
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

I get the point but if someone accused me of racism that is not the response i would give whilst waving the confederate flag.

No but you are not from Alabama.

Edukator
    Free Member

Best not do Sweet Home then. How about Slade, Quiet Riot and Oasis then. Three decades of feeling the noize. Gain on 9, P.A. feeding back. Guaranteed to make people happy.

[video]https://youtu.be/nruFm13Zpok[/video]

thomthumb
    Free Member

yet has never demonstrated that the new ways of recording and distributing music has produced anything other new ways of recording/distributing the same old tired styles of music.

dubstep – skrillex winning 3 grammy’s and shouting out to the croydon massive.

Croydon wouldn’t have been an influence, to an american teenager, without software making music on home PCs and the internet to upload it to.

slowoldman

Well for one night only, best decade is 1980s. But only ‘cos I’m listening to Frank Zappa “The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life”.

gauss1777
    Free Member

DezB

It’s their own narrow mindedness that’s the problem!

But, if I recall correctly you don’t like any jazz! (Still trying to come to terms with this 🙂 )

gauss1777
    Free Member

tjagain – Member
    I was a teenager in the 70s and I assure you until punk came along and shook everything up at the end if the 70s the music was naff. Overblown pretentious rock music… – anyone who was there knows how poor the 70s were musically

Pink Floyd – overblown pretentious twaddle soon to be blown away by punk

tjagain – I am sorry to disagree with you on yet another thread, but this is blatant nonsense. When you say pretentious, do you mean just a little too clever for you. There was a great variety of outstanding music created in the early 70’s – punk was dreadful ( I would contest you can count the decent punk tracks on one hand) simplistic music, with a touch of attitude – that lacked any credibility.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

end if the 70s the music was naff.

He’s right you know. And this from someone who credits the seventies with the finest music of all time. It became awful at the end. Something needed to throw all the pieces off the board. Then it became almost immediately awful again. The 80s was (mostly) so bloody atrocious because every Tom, Dick and Debbie thought they could do something ‘radical’, everyone could smoke the scene. Now drum machines and synths arrived. Even great artists from the 70s managed to suck Big Logs in the 80s. Punk was a much wider school than is most often touted via retrospect (ie kids sticking fingers up to rock dinosaurs and the establisment) – and it was required. But it (punk sound) was given to us 1969-70 – MC5, Stooges etc. The ‘resurrection’ of punk in the late 70s was a mangy rockabilly brute with a few fine teeth, and a thousand thousand on the guest list. It was art with photocopiers and biros, it was and is still a spirit of self-reliance and rebellion. But it went up itself far quicker than could be Anticipated. Many Idols of the day were really overblown egos, derivative pap with nothing of interest to say, looking for that Hollywood life that fashion afforded them. But the few sparks were enough send a fire right across the board. So much music today would not be with us had it not been for ‘punks’. But rebellious and/or experimental music wasn’t invented in 1977. Punk music brand just gave us a kick into the 80s, into a new ego-ville. Kids everywhere dug the ‘new thing’, whatever you did was ‘the new thing’. Because New!!! What a shower of glitter it was. Again, some true rare gems surfaced, but as a decade it was mostly fluffy posturing against a backdrop of greed culture.

senorj

Ransos is correct.
    A tie between 80/90’s for me.
    90’s were great, but I do love watching the 80’s top of the pops on bbc4.
    80’s- the smiths ,the cult, soft cell,big country, frank goes to Hollywood,the cure & the beastie boys! And some really awful stuff ,like any other decade.

DezB
    Free Member

But, if I recall correctly you don’t like any jazz!

And that has nothing to do with anything in this thread, or what I was saying. But yeah, you quote out of context then show how clueless you are about punk. Cheers! 😉

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

The Cult, Big Country …. and some really awful stuff’

FTFY (Though I did literally wear-out the Cult’s ‘Love’ LP as a teen. Then again don’t teens wear-out everything they get to own?!)

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Metal found a new riff in the 90s. The hair stayed long but stopped defining the image of the music. Metallica got good, one of my all time favourite albums (Subhuman Race) by Skid Row came out, Slayer, Corrosion of Conformity, the Monsters of Rock gig in Moscow 1991 (I wasn’t there but even just the video feels awesone).

So much more.

theotherjonv

haven’t read the whole thread so apologies if already said, but trying to pin it to an artificial ten years is pointless, just as defining seasons into packets of three exact months.

The best decade for music was from sometime in the early-mid 80’s to the early mid-90’s. So that’s basically from The Smiths and Indie Pop / C86 / taping John Peel under the bedcovers through to when Britpop started to take itself too seriously, capturing Madchester / the baggy-rave scene sometime around the middle. And even then a decade isn’t quite enough, because if you throw your ten year blanket from say 85-95 then you miss the beginning of the Smiths, Joy Division->New Order, and at the other end the rise of DJ’s as artists and electronica.

And that clearly misses out the great like the Beatles, Stones, Doors, VM, and so many more.

So in essence, you’re all wrong, as am I. There is no greatest decade, only great decades.

(alternative answer – any decade with the Wedding Present in it. So far that covers 80’s to 10’s and still counting, despite all the songs sounding the same)

teasel
    Free Member

then show how clueless you are about punk

Put those claws away, pussy.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Then 2k arrived, along with new and truly ground-breaking stuff from Boredoms, Gorillaz, Outkast etc (off top of head)

FTFY 😉

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Have stomach bug and this thread is bugging me too.

Smiths + Madchester = Best music decade ever? Oh mygoOh-DUH!

Parliament
    Funkadelic
    Zapp
    Kraftwerk
    Sly and the Family Stone
    Earth Wind and Fire
    Bee Gees
    The Clash
    Simply Saucer
    Talking Heads
    The Jam
    The Fall
    Led Zeppelin
    Terry Callier
    Black Sabbath
    Alice Cooper
    Abba
    Can
    Neu
    Klaus Schulze
    Nick Drake
    Joni Mitchell
    Bruce Springsteen
    Paul Simon
    Al Green
    Magma
    Marvin Gaye
    The Residents
    Captain Beefheart
    Gil Scott Heron
    Robert Wyatt
    Soft Machine
    National Health
    Throbbing Gristle
    Miles Davis
    David Bowie
    Brian Eno
    King Crimson
    Kate Bush
    Fleetwood Mac
    Elton John
    Jimi Hendrix Experience
    Motörhead
    Steel Pulse
    Linton Kwesi Johnson
    XTC
    Devo
    Television
    KC & The Sunshine Band
    Fela Kuti/Africa 70
    The Jackson 5
    Stevie Wonder
    The Ramones
    Marc Bolan
    Queen
    DJ Kool Herc
    Afrika Bambaataa
    Heart
    Lou Reed
    Television
    Pere Ubu
    Bob Marley and the Wailers
    Aretha Franklin
    Curtis Mayfield
    Patti Smith Group
    The Stranglers
    Sex Pistols
    The Damned
    Pink Floyd
    Frank Zappa

Holy shitcakes, it’s literally no competition and you’re lying if you say otherwise. The seventies smoked ***everything*** and gave us all we have since derived from it’s inimitable, vast, diverse, funky-as-f, genuinely-grooving, heavy-as-rock, light-as-a-butterfly super-talented heart and soul.

I’m half-certain that my sizeable list of evidence above has missed out at least as many again..

Suck on it some more, may as well because nearly every musician has been since. Even the Smiths sound like Simply Saucer. Happy Mondays sound like Can. Big Country and U2??? They sound like the 80s. Evidence right there. ohmyGOH-duh! 😉

My work here is done.

DezB
    Free Member

Put those claws away, pussy.

I winked!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

…taping John Peel under the bedcovers…

😯

teasel
    Free Member

I winked!

Ah, okay.

You’re still a pussy, tho…

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Talking about music always brings out the simple ones that think they know it all, that knowing lots of facts about music supersedes other people’s opinions. After all, art is about opinion, not fact.

But the 90s were definitely best.

DezB
    Free Member

You’re still a pussy, tho…

Care to explain?

teasel
    Free Member

Perhaps I should’ve winked.

Here ya go…

😉

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

And The The’s best LP was written in the 1970s. The closing track ‘Another Boy Drowning’ alone is (in my worthless opinion) many worlds better than any shoegaze or gothshite since.

80s was gaze-up-own-azz picky-pocky electro jazz, pretentious moaning back-combed hair-men covered in talcum powder and the re-birth of mindless stadium rock pub-singers in pixie-boots. Gah.

The 90s was spackled with hope and a genuine slow explosion of ambient/electronic wonders and new genres. Rock-wise, the 90s was a re-worked seventies vibe but with encroaching self-conscious ‘irony’ and the ‘knowing’ wink-self-stupid attitude that has by now infected nearly everything :/

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

🙁 No one ever mentions Psychobilly

gobuchul
    Free Member

And The The’s best LP was written in the 1970s.

It wasn’t a The The album.

It was released in 1981.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

^ technically! Meet you halfway at the crossover 😉

I think Matt Johnson singlehandedly saved the early 80s for me

gobuchul
    Free Member

I think Matt Johnson singlehandedly saved the early 80s for me

He also got to tie a young Neneh Cherry to a railway line.

DezB
    Free Member

Top video that!

Malvern – no Iggy in your big 70s list? Naughty boy.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

^ true! No Stooges, no MC5, I think I deleted a whole chunk by accident. Too many world-changing greats to list off the top.

No one ever mentions Psychobilly

Somewhere in my spew you’ll find a ‘mangy old rockabilly dog with a few sharp teeth’

Viewing 28 posts - 121 through 148 (of 148 total)

The topic ‘Best decade for music – clearly the 90s?’ is closed to new replies.