Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Best cycle GPS for off-road navigation?
  • devash
    Free Member

I own a Garmin Edge Explore 820 which I use for logging rides and Strava stats on local XC loops. However, it is pretty useless for off-road navigation (i.e. following GPS tracks). It’s fine for turn by turn navigation on the road / gravel roads but as soon as it goes off-road, especially under some trees, it starts beeping and freaking out. Also, the screen is too slow and clunky to manually follow trails in map mode like you can on something like a Garmin eTrex, which is what I have to resort to using whenever I want to download and explore new trails or longer XC routes with a significant off-road component.

I was therefore wondering if anyone could recommend a unit that has better off-road navigation i.e. the functionality of the Garmin with the mapping functions of the eTrex. It doesn’t have to be Garmin, I’m open to any suggestions.

fossy

How about the Garmin Explore – I’ve no issues with mine on road or off road, and use if more off road. It’s been great. It’s also alot cheaper than the fully loaded models with power and additional training options.

StirlingCrispin

Wot Fossy says – but treat yourself to a Talky Toaster map.

The basemap on the Explore is based on OSM, like Talky Toaster, but several years out-of-date.

belugabob
    Free Member

What’s wrong with the eTrex?
    I use mine for on and off road navigation, and it’s fine.
    TalkyToaster maps may be the thing that has my experience so enjoyable

ampthill

My Hammerhead Karoo is fine

Only had one day with a Garmin Explorer which also worked. But the Hammerhead has a better screen for visibility and seemed better in the wet

devash
    Free Member

What’s wrong with the eTrex?

Bulky, and would rather have one unit that does everything rather than having to rely on two different units.

belugabob
    Free Member

I get your point about the bulk, compared to the cycling specific Garmin units, but I’ve never found that to be a problem.
    For me, it is one unit that does everything

Aidy
    Free Member

Do you have glonass enabled? That might help with tree cover

intheborders
    Free Member

I’ve an older Garmin, the 810 with OS 1:50000 maps installed on a card.

IMO can’t beat OS maps for knowing exactly where you are – do they not do a unit with this option any more?

ampthill

I think you can but os maps for a Garmin but is pricey. Over £300 depending on scale from memory

A friend told me to buy an old unit off eBay with the maps on a card then swap the card to a newer device as that’s cheaper

molgrips
    Free Member

Do you have an Edge 830 or an Edge Explore?

I have an Edge Explore, and it’s spot on in trees and does a great job of turn-by-turn on routes I’ve made with Strava. There are a few spots where trails on the ground don’t exist but that’s inevitable, and it’s down to the underlying Open Streetmaps rather than Garmin. Also mine is plenty responsive and panning and zooming maps for manual navigation where I mostly know the area is one of my main uses.

In fact, I just got an Edge 530 so I could use it with a power meter and rather than selling the Edge Explore I’ve decided to keep it specifically for MTBing. You might have a problem with yours if the reception is that poor as all my Garmin devices have been great since the Edge 205 I had about 15 years ago.

IMO can’t beat OS maps for knowing exactly where you are

Hmm, I had OS maps for my Edge Touring and sold them, because they were bitmaps not vectors and weren’t really readable when zoomed in.

garlando

Another vote for edge explore.
    Get on well with mine

MadBillMcMad

@belugabob, having been a lifelong etrex user myself, I was very sceptical about the cycling specific garmins, but I have to say they are miles better on many grounds. Route uploading, turn by turn nav, instant route finding etc.

+1 for talky toaster maps.

Garmin wise, if you are old with dodgy eyes get the 1030, if your eyes are good then the 530 or 830.

belugabob
    Free Member

@madbillmcmad yes, I agree about some of the cycling GPS features, and I don’t get why these aren’t available on the eTrex – particularly route download, as there is already Comms for SMS and other app notifications, from your phone.
    This, along with instant route finding, aren’t an issue for me, though, as I like to plan ahead.
    With talky toaster maps installed, turn by turn navigation works really well.

My main reason for going for the eTrex, however, was that it takes AA batteries, so multi-day trips are possible by carrying spares or calling in to just about any shop. The problem of an inbuilt battery eventually losing its charging capacity goes away, too.

So many parameters to consider – many of them are personal

P20

I’m happy with my Edge Explore and TT maps. However my wife’s EE wasn’t great, numerous battery issues and you couldn’t guarantee it would last the ride. She has replaced it with the Edge 530, which has a lot more functionality and significantly better battery life. It’s on base maps for now, but will probably get the TT maps

devash
    Free Member

@molgrips

I’ve got one of these – https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/p/561299

I think the problems I’m having with GPS reception are probably due to the fact that it’s an old unit that has seen a lot of action (it was a hand-me-down). The big problem is that when following trails offroad, the turn by turn flips out when I’m riding along a trail that isn’t on the built in map. This happens quite often where I live. This manifests in me constantly being told by the unit to do u-turns, take turns that don’t exist etc. On the eTrax the trail can be displayed as a static map that can be followed manually. I’m not sure that this is possible on the cycle-specific units?

My eyesight is ok, so I could get on with a 530, but I’m kind of thinking about something with a bigger screen / faster processor / easier to manipulate maps. The 10xx series looks great size and processor wise but is rather expensive.

The Edge Explore looks good. Thanks all who recommended that one. The thing is, I do not race / train competitively so power meter / HR monitor compatibility and all the training tools are wasted on me. I literally just need something to navigate, record rides, and tell me if I’m going faster or slower than my last attempts at Strava segments on those days where I do like to go all out.

molgrips
    Free Member

Huh, I wasn’t aware of that. This what I have:

https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/p/611996

The big problem is that when following trails offroad, the turn by turn flips out when I’m riding along a trail that isn’t on the built in map

I used to have an Edge Touring, and that did that a lot. TBT stopped, and then in the list of directions it would say next turn in 6,300km or something daft.

My eyesight is ok, so I could get on with a 530, but I’m kind of thinking about something with a bigger screen / faster processor / easier to manipulate maps.

Yeah the 530 is great for power and workout stats on a budget, but it’s nowhere near as good as the Edge Explore above for navigation etc. That’s why I’ve decided to keep mine when I’d originally planned to sell it.

tell me if I’m going faster or slower than my last attempts at Strava segments

It doesn’t link to Strava segments though.

scotroutes

If you don’t need the cycling specific stuff then look at an Oregon. It doesn’t do Strava though.

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

There’s also these…

https://www.twonav.com/en/gps-cycling

available to buy from bikeinn

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Best cycle GPS for off-road navigation?’ is closed to new replies.