Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Beryl Burton's 12 hour record finally broken after 50 years!
  • jobro
    Free Member

Helluva ride by Alice Lethbridge to do 286 miles in 12 hours, but what a legend that Beryl Burton was.
    Best British rider of all time IMHO based on palmares.

http://road.cc/content/blog/228021-alice-lethbridge-talks-about-breaking-beryl-burtons-12-hour-time-trial-record

eskay

It is a testimony to how good a rider she was that it took so long to beat her record even with all of the technological advances in kit and training.

tonyg2003

I think that the most telling thing is that Burton beat men in TT’s, like I believe in her 12hr record. Amazing rider.

mikeyp

I tried to see how fast I could ride 100miles after seeing the beryl stage play. She was so strong. Chapeau to Alice

jobro
    Free Member

I think that the most telling thing is that Burton beat men in TT’s, like I believe in her 12hr record.

Pretty sure in her record breaking ride she beat everyone!
    Famously offered a toffee to her closest rival as she passed him.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Oh Come on!!! What? When?

I just wrote a Page on Beryl Burton, and triple checked she was still the record holder. That was 2 hours ago. God Damn You Lethbridge…

I mean well done and stuff… but seriously that must have happened as I was writing it.

Burton didn’t just beat the men’s, she was doing hers at the same time, overtook him, and gave him a liquorice allsort as she did so. Or at least that’s the story, I like it so it went in the page.

aracer
    Free Member

Don’t be silly, EJ Watson took the record back in 1969. 😉

BigJohn

I did a 25 mile TT back when I was a junior (or schoolboy, can’t remember, it was about 1969) and Beryl Burton was my minuteman. She was lovely at the start line, made a right fuss of me!

mt
    Free Member

Britains greatest ever cyclist that Beryl Burton. Fact.

molgrips
    Free Member

Compare the bikes they were on…!

aracer
    Free Member

It’s not about the bike.

I expect the tri bar position is worth at least 3% extra speed though…

molgrips
    Free Member

It is. There’s no question that modern TT setup (bike, position, clothes) is loads quicker than Burton’s bike.

tonyg2003

Amazing ride from Alice Lethbridge however if she had beaten the 312miles of the first man in the same 12hr it would had been comparable to Burton.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Beryl Burton's 12 hour record finally broken after 50 years!’ is closed to new replies.