Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Berlingo/partner Owners: Question for you
  • mikertroid
    Free Member

I’ve had many vans, mainly VW Transporters of various flavours but my last one was quite a while ago.

I need a new (to me) van, but don’t want one that’s as big as my previous lot, however…. I’d then keep my ’09 E91 and just run it into the ground.

Can you sleep 2 people and keep 2 bikes simultaneously in the back of a Berlingo SWB of about 15-18 Plate? I’ve been the from seat folds forward so was wondering if you could put a bed lengthways on the left and keep 2 bikes nose to tail behind the drivers seat- doesn’t matter if I need to take front wheel of for that…

If not, any suggestions?

Thanks M

reformedfatty
    Free Member

Not unless you get cosy. Slept two in the back without anything in there with comfortable room but with bikes would be a different story

mikertroid
    Free Member

Cosy works, but would look to sleep with a couple of bikes though….. (not in THAT way….!).

Brown
    Free Member

You can, but it’s awkward. We sleep on a removable platform with the bikes underneath. It’s a deliberately high platform, which isn’t ideal and is a bit claustrophobic, but we can get two bikes and full camping/holiday gear in there with us. Works for the odd night here and there (ie stopping on the way to the alps) but we’d not want to do more than that. I’m sure you could rig something better, but I use the van for work so I couldn’t get too fancy. One person and a bike is easy!

Lots of new Berlingos have a bench seat. As the seatbelt for the central seat is attached to the bulkhead behind the driver, you can’t remove that and still pass an MOT (passenger side comes out fine), so folding the driver’s seat down isn’t an option unless you get a two-seater. (This is all for 11 plate vans. May have changed.) My relatively short girlfriend fits behind the bullhead, I’ve no chance at six foot.

squirrelking
    Free Member

As the seatbelt for the central seat is attached to the bulkhead behind the driver, you can’t remove that and still pass an MOT

Why’s that? My dad passed plenty of MOT’s with the rear row removed from his C8 which has the belts built into the D pillar. Pretty sure it passed the last one under my ownership with the seats out too.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Okay I think I need to have a look; perhaps it’s a multiplace one I need to get round that issue?

trail_rat
    Free Member

While I’m sure it can be done if your small it’s honestly not worth the pain .

Put the bikes in the back and throw up a pop up tent would be my advice .

It’s perfect for 1 person and 2 bikes but 2 people and no bikes didn’t work for us. Van was too short even with front seats right forward and folded over.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Thanks…might look at dispatch or caddy then….

reformedfatty
    Free Member

Should clarify my earlier comment. Mine is a partner tepee outdoor one. 3 seats that can be individually removed in the back.

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>With the seats removed, the front seats moved forward a small amount the rear is long enough for me at 6ft to be comfortable. With the seats in but folded it wouldn’t be possible </span>

Brown
    Free Member

Squirrelking – I meant you can’t remove that part of the bulkhead and thus the seatbelt for the bench seat, because you then have a front seat with no belt. Might be wrong, but I thought that was an MOT fail.

Davesport

What about the Berlingo L2 ? Same wheelbase but a wee bit longer in the body. Room for 3 bikes plus all the gear or loads of space for sleeping.

squirrelking
    Free Member

<p>Ah right I misunderstood, I thought you meant a car version with a rear bench and the belt anchered to a pillar. No, that wouldn’t work.</p><p></p><p>You would need to replace the bench with a seat from a car version.</p>

mikertroid
    Free Member

Davesport-2 bikes and 2 sleepers in an L2??

trail_rat
    Free Member

L2 is no wider only about 20cm longer  The van is only just about as wide as a double matress

mikertroid
    Free Member

I getcha!

DickBarton

I’d say 2 bodies and 2 bikes inside is going to be very tight – depending on what else you do the vehicle…removing rear seats and the middle body and bike are going to be rather close.

I’m 6′ 1″ and I need to sleep squint in the back of mine as I can’t get the front passenger seat far enough forward to lie flat, saying that 1 body and 1 bike is perfectly doable and I’ve had great sleeps in like that.

2 and 2 though…I’m not sure…

mikertroid
    Free Member

I guess I’ll just dump the g/f then. Keeps it cost effective.

hopefiendboy

mail me and I’ll send u pics of our setup for what you are looking for…

mikertroid
    Free Member

Sent you a PM on forum….

DickBarton

In standard guise, it isn’t possible…1 person 2 bikes could be but a squeeze, 2 and 2 inside not.

Suspect some clever people have got a setup that works (and I’d be keen to see please).

finbarrmc
    Free Member

I’ve got a LWB L2 berlingo, that my wife and I use as a camper. We sleep in the back and on the occasions where we don’t feel safe leaving the bikes outside, we take the wheels off and put them across the front seats.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Thanks folks….

Either I dump the g/f or get a bigger van. The g/f is called Louise.

DickBarton

By all accounts get a bugger van, Louise sounds well worth holding on for for a bit longer!

maccruiskeen

By all accounts get a bugger van

if the van’s rockin’ don’t come knockin’

mikertroid
    Free Member

“By all accounts get a bugger van”

… think she’d like that.

DickBarton

Oops, looks like my autocorrect went wrong!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Berlingo/partner Owners: Question for you’ is closed to new replies.