Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Berlingo Multispace
  • dumbbot
    Free Member

Thinking about one of these for my next vehicle, plenty of room for 29ers and other junk.

Anyone have any thoughts on them? what they are like to live with on a day-to-day basis, it would my only car for commuting good/bad/ugly etc.

Cheers

bonzodog
    Free Member

Had Berlingos for about 10 years (3 of ’em). Can’t speak highly enough about them. OK, they’re not the most engaging vehicle to drive long distances, but the practicality is out of this world.

You don’t have to remove wheels to get a bike in, and just take the front wheels off to get 3 X 29ers in the back (with the rear seats folded). Not diesel thirsty either.

10/10 from me.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Is there much difference in the models over the years? They don’t seem to have changed significantly other than some cosmetics…

trail_rat
    Free Member

m49 – m59 was mostly just a facelift.

B3 was a complete platform change in 08 which saw them gain width and length

dont need to take the seats out in any of them to get large 29ers in but if you do you get about 10 of them in…….

The newest model that shares with the rifter on the face seems to be a step back as the seats neither fold flat nor roll forward they fold into the floor but leave a step – the biggest benifit of the berlingo was the perfectly flat loadspace.

we have had a m49 a m59 and now a B3. the B3 is more like a car than a van of the earlier models.
    Quieter – more carpet , more refinements. Id rather it was closer to the m59 in terms of being hard plastic and rubber matting instead of carpet humho – i guess im the minority.

B3

M59

Newest model.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

he newest model that shares with the rifter on the face seems to be a step back as the seats neither fold flat nor roll forward they fold into the floor but leave a step

That’s what it looked like to me – a big step backwards. Our CaddyMaxiLife is carpeted but we have an OEM rubber mat that covers the whole load area (with a lip around the edge) so benefit of soundproofing from carpet but still practical.
    IMO its not the lip that’s the issue it’s that mud/water/grub is now going to get inbetween the seats and onto the cushions.

tomd
    Free Member

Got an 11 plate XTR one. A

Plus points are
    – Cheap
    – Spacious and very functional interior, 3 full width and removable seats on the back
    – Sliding doors on the back

Minus are:
    – While not “horrible”, the clutch, gears, controls etc are somewhat agricultural.
    – Had an injector die (1.6hdi 110 engine). They’ve expensive to replace (£250 for just the parts)!
    – Some of the lower powered ones are a bit a struggle, I test drove a newer 90bhp XTR and it felt like it might be less than fun for longer journeys loaded up.

trail_rat
    Free Member

mines a 92bhp outdoor.

with the cruise on at 70 it doesnt struggle loaded. certainly pulls up the hill out of aberdeen better than the 1.2puretech i test drove or the 1l SCE dacia sandero i tried both required gears dropping with 3 people in the car to get up it. Where the 92 struggles is if your a serial speeder in that it desperately could use a 6th gear as it runs out of legs much above 70 – but then since the limits 70 thats never been a real issue. I suspect its low geared to give it go in stop start traffic.

i have the same mat that simon talks of in the b9 to cover the carpet – just sweep the dirt out the back. they also do one that clips to the back of the seats in the new one and folds up+down with the seats so no gaps but you lose the ability to fold them down individually.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Good info team, thanks.
    Looking to get one in the new year. Could spend up to £2.5k, so older vehicle territory.

Think I might just dip my toe in with one around £600 and bangernomics it to begin with. It’s just going to get full of mud anyway!

The Peugot Partner and Renault Kangoo are the same car, right?

aP
    Free Member

Peugeot Partner and Renault Kangoo

Nope – Citroen and Peugeot are the same company (includes Vauxhall/ Opel now as well)
    Renault is allied with Nissan and Mercedes.

trail_rat
    Free Member

no kangoo is a different platform. used to be narrower and latterly rarely seen in a multispace version.

at your price point it will be the old shape

the electrics in the kangoo were ALWAYS shady

ourmaninthenorth

I looked into getting one to replace my second car when renovating the house. Didn’t in the end but only because I used the Mazda 3 as a skip….

My main recollection – on older models at least – was that 2.0hdi engine is much more reliable than the 1.6hdi and that it’s important to check the rear axle/suspension.

Still wish I’d bought one….

johnx2
    Free Member

Missing mine. It’s no longer possible to impulse buy a sofa.

Nico
    Free Member

The newest model that shares with the rifter on the face seems to be a step back as the seats neither fold flat nor roll forward they fold into the floor but leave a step – the biggest benifit of the berlingo was the perfectly flat loadspace.

But you now have the fold-flat front passenger seat for long loads.

ampthill

Ours say Peugeot on it

Its has 115 wild horses.

To me it really does do it all really well. Feels like no real compromise on a car

But take gear there was a bunch of years that were very vulnerable to turbo death due to thin pipes supplying the oil to the turbo

kayak23

Had my 2002 1.6 petrol about 8 years now. Absolutely phenomenal car. Couldn’t ever get a ‘normal’ car now.

It’s taken me and two mates biking around Europe twice with all our camping gear and bikes.

I’ve taken the double seat out the back of mine and pretty much use it as a van. Regularly take two mates biking, 2 bikes top and tailed with front wheel off, third down the middle built up and one mate sitting on the single seat keeping the bikes company.

I’ll be devastated when it finally gives in. Awesome car.

Wally

I have a 2.0 Hdi with 170K on the clock, this weeks it’s getting the “Will STW camping treatment”. Blacked out rear windows and the double seat removed and curtains. Going to run it semi van like for a bit and see how it functions. Had from new, ace vehicle, but very heavy clutch.

trail_rat
    Free Member

*but very heavy clutch*

It’s begging You for a new cable.

Buy genuine and reroute it so it’s not got any tight curves. The throttle and the clutch were poorly routed from new in the conversion from LHD to rhd due to the location of the fuel pump being fixed

Wally

Trail_rat . Is this something I could DIY?
    Can you say a bit more?
    Definitely a great Christmas project.
    It’s been heavy since new, all 13 years …

dumbbot
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, i’m not a total stranger to them my dad is on his 3rd van for the pest control business I just wondered how they were for popping to the shops etc. I do fancy something a bit nicer in the cabin to give it more car/less van feeling.

Current car is not doing so good and im loathed to throw any money at it.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201811062165153?radius=80&make=CITROEN&model=BERLINGO&sort=distance&price-to=11000&advertising-location=at_cars&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&postcode=pa13er&transmission=Manual&page=1

I fancy some thing like that,…although i would need one of those rubber floor mats.

fossy

My old man had a Berlingo after he rolled his Kangoo van (sheets of wood on road) which he mainly used with the rear seats out so he could do his part time gardening after retiring from work. Kept it some years, then sold it to someone local. Never any trouble, but it was the more basic (non-HDI) diesel.

alric
    Free Member

Ive a 2,0hdi with 160k and just blacked out the rear windows and took the small seat out of the back
    I find the heating doesnt warm my feet much and maybe the windows mist up easily.
    My research tells me that max speed is 100mph.
    I suspect there is a rev limiter so you couldnt exceed that even if you had a chip fitted
    I just impulse bought a sofa
    I had a van for a short time and the passenger seat slid forward more and also folded forward. A bit of a hassle to fit but worth it if you want that space(for sleep if youre 6ft, etc)
    I can just sling the bike in on its side, and get changed in the back

DickBarton

I’ve a 14 plate Puggy, the front passenger seat folds flat in that.
    Middle seat removed permanently and bike sits there.
    Been a superb vehicle and still going very well.
    Absolutely love it, my only grumble is a rather poor stereo experience for hands-free and ipod music. Needs a lot of looking to select who you want to call and options for playing music are few (there is no option to just play what is on the device, playlist or artist or genre – which should be fine but random on randomly plays tunes from that artist (if trying to just play tunes not in a playlist).
    Slight grumble and not major compared to how good the rest is.

ampthill

My outdoor spec Peugeot has blue tooth for hands free phone and streaming music. It also has 3.5mm in and a USB port to play MP3. You can of course charge your phone from the USB. The blue tooth has been more robust than any other blue tooth in the house

dumbbot
    Free Member

MMm..never thought about the Peugeot, they look almost identical to the Multispace.

olly2097
    Free Member

Got a Berlingo B9. Awesome.

Has a permanent single folding camper unit in it. Enough room that I never have to remove it.
    Just look out for injector seals and make sure it’s had regular or more than regular oil changes if buying one with a DV6 engine. I change ours every 6k.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

With the early MK1s, which motor is best to go for? Assuming I’m spending <£1000 and with high miles.

I also have a double DIN bluetooth enabled head unit, a sub and some 6.5″ drivers with a crossover and separate tweeters I removed from my old MX5. Will they fit in?

DickBarton

The Peugeot and Citroën are the same car.

trail_rat
    Free Member

mk1 – high miles best to get ….. 1.9D DW8 engine.

like a cockroach they will keep going – they will protest and are slow but will keep going 😀

watch out for difficult to cold start – no matter what your told its unlikely to be glow plugs. It will likely be a camshaft out and reshim the tappet bucket job.

Watch for rear axles – look for inside tire edge scrub.

or a 1.8 XUD

Both slow as sin

the DW10 (2.0HDI) is the dream but doubt youll get one for sub 1k that isnt banjoed as they are the one that everyone wants.

as for the clutch cable – they are best if you remove them from the stock convouluted route and get as straight a routing across the bulkhead and down the wing as possible. when i replaced mine it made a difference – as did lubbing up the clutch arm bushes when i changed the clutch ( dont bump start fully loaded transits with your van or youll melt the clutch 😀 )

dumbbot
    Free Member

So it looks like i’ve just bought a ’15 Plate Peugeot tepee outdoor, could someone point me in the direction of one these bootliner/rubber mat things they sound ideal. any recommendations for boot/trunk organizers would be good also. Thanks

wind-bag
    Free Member

Here you go, highly recommended: https://www.hatchbag.co.uk/

trail_rat
    Free Member

Think mines came from the rather prosaic carmats4u

The rubber tailored boot liner

dumbbot
    Free Member

Cheers lads

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Berlingo Multispace’ is closed to new replies.