Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Berlingo as a family car?!
  • stox
    Free Member

Looking to replace my ageing Octavia estate with something suitable for carting 2 kids <4 yrs old and 2 labs around.
    We already have a galaxy that we can fill pretty easily for a weekend away so we need something that’s going to offer us a similar ish amount of room that could cover the Galaxy’s duty if / when required.

Looking at a new ish car < 3 years old.

I’ve always had a bit of a soft spot for a Berlingo but wondered what it’s like to live with day to day. I’d be driving it most days so it needs to do a 20 miles each way commute, do the nursery pick up , take dogs to the beach …

I’m not so much bothered at the moment about how cool it is or isn’t … I’m thinking about the next 5 years and the kids growing up … Chucking bikes and gear into it …holidays …. ferrying them around etc etc ..

I need to go and see one and drive it really but convincing the wife it’s a good, practical option is the biggest hurdle!
    Will she change her mind if I get her inside one or will that just put her off even more?! 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

Cannot comment on the more recent offerings but the 05 plated one would do as you say

its the most hideously underpowered vehicle I have ever driven so i would not want to be using it on hilly twisty turny routes personally.

Its not great on corners [ Mway slip roads is where i have to remember]either due to the height – ie I always have to remember to scrub about 20% + speed off that i would in the car – the car is a massively powered 1.2 petrol engine so hardly a sports car/driven fast.

Its great to drive on Mways less so in the countryside [ power mainly but it does get you there]

Mileage is great Mways less so “urban” due to acceleration issues meaning its always foot to the floor to achieve truck levels of acceleration

Depends how much you need it as a replacement to the Galaxy – if often then yes
    if in emergency then i would be tempted by a car personally as we have access to a car or a berlingo depending on what we want to do and this suits better.

YMMV

jambalaya
    Free Member

Galaxy will be better for holidays than the Berlingo IMO. Removable seats and larger all round. How about another Octavia or a Yeti (removable seats for bike lugging without the kids).

lakesrider
    Free Member

i’ve got a berlingo with 2 kids, i love it. Mines a 2012 with the 115 hdi enigine, is quick enough.

I actually think its best car i’ve ever had!

DickBarton

Got a 14 plate Pug Partner – same car as Berlingo. It works very well for a family vehicle for 3 people…plenty space.
    Comfy enough to drive..I did a 500 mile trip twice in a week and didn’t have any issues…I’m 6′ 1″.

rhid

I used mine as an everyday car. It was great. 09 1.6Hdi was great on long journeys and decent on short ones too. loads of space for dogs, bikes, whatever really. Comfy to drive. Seats a removable without tools. Loads and loads of space. Its not a sports car but you know that anyway! Also, who said they weren’t cool….

stox
    Free Member

The galaxy will be the main travelling / holiday car but we want the second car to be able to step in and carry plenty of gear and make the weekend trips away if needed to. We are often up and down the motorway from the NE to Birmingham so we’d like this second car to share those trips with the galaxy.

We’ve had a yeti and it just wasnt big enough. We don’t always take the dogs with us but when we do we can fit them in the galaxy boot with other gear. In the yeti they took up all of the boot space. We sold the yeti for the galaxy.

Its the bigger (115bhp) Diesel engined Berlingo I’d be consideringwith the 6 spd manual

stwhannah

I have one, an XTR model, in Calderdale, where it’s all hills and corners – while it’s not fun to drive, that’s not why we own it, and I have no real interest in handling, speed and so on. We don’t do a lot of miles really, but it’s great for chucking bikes, kids (bigger than yours), camping kit – whatever – in and still being comfortable. Thing that made the difference between it and similar offerings is the back seat is three individual seats, which gives you more flexibility than the bench seat versions – we keep one seat out permanently for easy chucking a bike in the back. Ours does get through a lot of tyres, but other than that it ticks along. Definitely not a lot of power for overtaking, but then it’s not really an issue for what we use it for.

My husband really didn’t want one, but now loves it and is sad he can’t afford a newer one. One thing to watch is bike carriers – we’ve struggled to find a rear mounted rack that doesn’t need a tow bar. We have Thule roof mounted racks and a little folding step stool for getting to them instead. It’s our only car, it does everything we need, and we stick a roof box on if we really need more space.

avdave2

Had mine 10 years now, would definitely buy another. I’ve always described it as the car no one wants but everybody needs.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I have the 1.6 petrol, not at all the same car as junky’s.

The rear seats come out, the sliding doors are handy, but I guess two Labs would fill the boot space. I’ve put a tandem in mine, wheels in. The wheels would have to come out to make room for a second rider though. Being a Galaxy substitute is perhaps asking too much.

ianpv
    Free Member

I had a 54 plate 2.0l diesel (may have been a 1.6, can’t remember). It was great. Sliding doors, loads of space. Bit rattly but very practical although no fun to drive if you’re in to that sort of thing. (2 kids, lots of bikes, only one dog though)

rhid

The other good thing about them is the internal roof rack. Its great for surfboards etc. So practical and so stylish. You should definitely buy my one to see if it suits you. I think that this is the only appropriate action in your situation.

mick_r

Will the 05 and 54 plate cars not be the old model? (i.e totally different car)

6ft 7″ Work colleague has 1.6 vtr and finds it most comfortable car he has ever owned…..

I’ve got a Dispatch Combi with 90hp 1.6 like an even bigger and more practical Berlingo. Been thousands of km all over Europe in it – now that is REALLY slow and can’t overtake anything beyond a tractor :-). Still does an excellent job.

DickBarton

Rhid – your internal rack or your car? If rack, how much?

jonnyboi

Had a 1.6 hdi XTR for three years and 60,000 miles.

Plus points was that it was very, very practical. economical, had plenty of kit (although most models below XTR don’t have air con). Three full size seats in rear and tons of head room.

Minus was reliability – needed new springs, various electrical problems and the gearbox was on its way out around 100k when we part exchanged it.

rhid

Car! I have not got the internal rack. they are still useful though!

db

Had 1.6 hdi VTR for 4 years and 100k miles – loved it. More reliable than the Volvo I replaced it with. I found it fun to drive because it rolls a bit in the corners and have speeding ticket for 96mph so it was in no way underpowered.
    Sliding doors are great in car parks and loading kids in and out. XTR has 3 separate sets in the back so easier to remove 1 for even more space. VTR has 60/40 split which means its heavy to remove the 2 seats together.

Only downside I can think of is windows in the back don’t roll down. (only pop out a bit) As many people know this kind of window is easy to break into so don’t leave valuables in the car – but that kind of goes for all cars.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Dick Rarton – ISTR the internal rack is part of the top range extras.

Burchy1
    Free Member

Our 10 plate 1.6 diesel xtr has been faultless. It’s not quick but pulls along on the Mway at 80 with enough on top for overtaking. A-roads is more about keeping momentum, but as others have said you wouldn’t be buying it as a driving car.

With one child its (in my eyes) the perfect vehicle, 2 adult bikes and a childs bike plus camping gear inside with no problems. With 2 kids now, i want a bigger T5/Vivaro/Transit sized van.

Make sure you go for one with the individually removable rear seats.

Tenuous
    Free Member

Really pleased with ours. Another XTR, 09 plate. Not super quick but it’s comfortable and roomy with the main advantage being that it’s great for getting the kids, bikes, camping gear etc in. Takes 3 adults (or 3 kids seats) in the back fine and you get a cargo net style thing so you can fill the boot up to the roof without it all toppling down on the passengers.

Re: bikes on the back, we have a Saris Bones RS which fits nicely, and also a couple of Thule bike racks for the roof (so 5 people and 5 bikes is doable).

Bottom line, it’s extremely practical and will get you + family + all your stuff from A to B in comfort.

Wally

05 plate 2.0 Hdi, 150,000 miles and just had 2nd cambelt, so I have signed up to the 200K club. Patrick been with us as long as the Sprog. Yes car has a name, as well as Sprog.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

And mine’s now named Berlinda.

Mackem

Probably a stupid Berlingo question, but …

The XTR version, has this anything to do with the Shimano groupset? Logic suggests it’s very unlikely but the XTR badge is very similar to the Shimano one, so you never know.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP thanks for Yeti comments

DickBarton

Nope, it is available after market but it is about 140 quid…only fits models with the internal ‘mounts’ but I think they all do.

stox
    Free Member

Thanks for all the input so far.

I actually prefer the XTR models over the new ones … it looks like the youngest XTR models are 15 plates but majority are a fewyears older than that.
    There are some good low mileage examples available though.

If I could convince the other half (easier said than done) , we could pick up a low mileage XTR for well below the budget.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

XTR meant Extended Traction Range IIRC. I think it had originally a limited slip differential, and more recently an electronic traction control, plus a higher ride height.

I had a 2005 Berlingo, 2.0hdi. It was great. 4 full-size wheelie bins could stand in the back.

I replaced it with a 2013 Doblo which is slightly higher and wider with a slightly larger boot.

parkesie
    Free Member

A similar type of car to look at would be skoda roomster I really wanted one but got over ruled 🙂 Managed to get a yeti approved and it’s really good for hauling bikes and camping kit. Wouldn’t get dogs and stuff in the boot tho.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i have an 03 berlingo multispace desire, 2l hdi. 130k now on it. its a french car, i’ve had loads and they all have their little quirks!

as a car for me and what i need a car for its great, basically its a van with seats. but it is more van than car and i find it a bit agricultural to drive. i had a renault modus before that by comparison was lovely to drive, just smoother and easier.

i’d say 40 to the gallon and cant remember the road tax but its quite cheap.

oil/filter changes are easy and other basic maintenance. loads of info on the www.

main gripe with mine is that it seems to like going through crankshaft sensors. you know when its failed, the thing won’t start. its a bit of a pig of a job, 3 seconds to fit but an hour to get too. mines failed twice in a year (i’m now using citroen parts) and i carry a spare and tools just in case.

i like it though, i can’t think of a better car for the cash that would suit my needs as well. if i could i’d buy a newer lower road tax better mpg one no question.

fatbikedog
    Free Member

I am on my second Fiat Doblo(2014 plate 18000miles). Before I bought it I tried 2 Berlingos. So, they are very similar in size. The Berlingo drives slightly smoother and is probably slightly more civcilised. But I love my Doblo as I did the first one. Mine is 1.6 turbo diesel, and I get 47mpg. It will fly if you want to but obviously mpg drops. Neither Doblo or Berlingo will be as ‘nice’ as the galaxy.

fatbikedog
    Free Member

I am on my second Fiat Doblo(2014 plate 18000miles). Before I bought it I tried 2 Berlingos. So, they are very similar in size. The Berlingo drives slightly smoother and is probably slightly more civcilised. But I love my Doblo as I did the first one. Mine is 1.6 turbo diesel, and I get 47mpg. It will fly if you want to but obviously mpg drops. Neither Doblo or Berlingo will be as ‘nice’ as the galaxy. This might give you another option to think about. I have found the fiats very reliable.

Ambrose

Now on my 2nd 1.6 xtr. First was a 58 plate 90bhp which was the most practical car ever. I wanted a car with air-con to dry my boots in the foot well and removable seats to fit kit in. It needed to be able to carry inside (easily)two people, two bikes, two bike trailers and two dogs. It did so with ease.

A Thule van rack fits with ease, just adjust it a bit. We seldom use it though, so if you are interested in borrowing it I live in Carmarthenshire. I also have a spare pair of internal roof bars if anyone is interested.

When the car reached 140,000 miles I part exchanged it for another Berlingo, again an XTR because I had been so pleased with the first one. I’m by no means a petrol head but the new one is the 115bhp engine and is far more fun and is useful enough to be able to overtake and get on with things as I’d want. Currently I’m in France and I might have annoyed quite a few locals who were delaying my forward progress between Tours and Chatellerault.

The 14 plate XTR I have has the required air-con and individually removeable seats, alloys, European SatNav, Bluetooth connectivity (blummin’ wonderful), USB point, electric windows, tinted glass, window blinds to the rear, pop open tailgate window… I’ve lined the boot with rubber, covered the seats with waterproof covers and job’s a good’un.

Right now the car is sat outside, ready to carry the two of us with four bikes inside (front wheels off) and all our kit for three weeks in Les Gets.

It is a very comfortable family car indeed, reclining rear seats, blinds, airline style table/ trays, loads of storage etc.

Best cars I’ve ever had.

Pieface

I’m loving the versatility of these vehicles but there don’t seem to be any with a powerful engine. What else has a similar level of versatility (e.g. individually removable seats) but more car oriented and with decent range if engines, but not as big as a Galaxy

kendonagasaki

We’ve had our first XTR (14 plate) for about a month now and so far so good.
    We’ve also bought a used, but well looked after Amdro boot jump & tent which we are hoping to try out next week.

DickBarton

Ambrose, how much for the rack, please?

downhillfast
    Free Member

I had an 04′ Berlingo 2.0Hdi for a few years, bought as a fairly cheap to buy/insure/run stopgap. Ended up keeping it for around 4 years as it was just so practical for bike/family stuff. Not much to look at, and no “performance” to speak of, but had no major problems with it, just the occasional minor suspension or steering part needing replaced at MOT time.
    If you value practicality over all else then you’ll enjoy it. Even took the rear seats out of ours and turned it into a “campervan” for a trip one summer !

matt_outandabout

What else has a similar level of versatility (e.g. individually removable seats) but more car oriented and with decent range if engines, but not as big as a Galaxy

Most mid size MPV’s such as Touran, C-max and Picasso…

johnx2
    Free Member

Berlingos are great. Had the old type which was excellent apart from being made of bacofoil. New type (got 1.6 petrol) use more fuel and are slower, but still great. I do a lot of miles driving to surf and to our second home on the coast. Hey ho.

On the technical side, it can transport three bikes and riders in relative comfort (leaving one seat in in the back) without the wheels coming off (car or bikes.) It’s the most amount of space for the least amount of money. It Goes fast enough for me to have loads of points.

However, it’s not entirely a prestige vehicle. My middleaged male ego does need to be shored up through other means (see above). The main downside as a family vehicle is that you may have to park round the corner as your kids may not want to be seen in it. Teenagers may find other ways of getting about. I see these as significant upsides but not everyone would.

DickBarton

Most other mpv type vehicles don’t have as much usable space…a lot curve at the back so your load entry area is smaller than inside…Berlingo is a solid square…can fit 4 washing machines inside (without rear seats in). The boot height is the same as the inner height and that makes loading stuff far easier.
    It isn’t much of a looker though…but I love ours!

valley
    Free Member

We have aPeugeot partner Van 2012 with 50,000 miles 92bhp touch wood been really good

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Berlingo as a family car?!’ is closed to new replies.