Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Berlin Hotels?
  • Albanach
    Free Member

Heading there in May with my wife – has anyone got any recommendations of good places To stay at a reasonable budget? Thanks!

Bolt

Stopped at gat point charlie last June

Modern hotel with a good breakfast buffet

Location was good near to a lot of the museums

never bothered with train and walked everywhere

Happy hour cocktails were great value too!

andrewreay

Alex Platz is a decent location and can recommend the Hampton – free breakfast and well located for trams and railway / U-Bahn of Alex Platz itself. Holiday Inn also good next door.

Hampton Alexanderplatz

In Mitte, the Novotel is pretty good too as it’s on U2 between Alex Platz and Potsdammer Platz so really well situated.

Novotel Mitte

Niether will win any points for character, but they are clean, cheap and offer decent breakfast with easy connections to rest of the city.

Also stayed at the amusingly named Titanic which is more luxurious and well situated, but less good value.

To be fair, I’ve always used Google maps to locate and choose hotels based on the guest ratings. They are very reliable. With so much choice in Berlin you can do a lot worse than to rely on that.

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

Have also stayed at Gat Point Charlie – about 6/7 years ago. And like Bolt says – nice rooms, good location (located about 2mins walk from the former Check Point Charlie (as you might guess from the name)

We also enjoyed the cocktail happy hour 🙂

Located close to the station for the U2 and U6 lines. The Visit Berlin tourist card that you can buy gets you unlimited travel on the U-bahn, S-Bahn, Buses and Trams plus entry/discounted entry to museums and discounts at restaurants. found we basically recovered the cost of the 3 day pass while we were there.

Visit to the roof of the Reichstag is free, but if you pre-book your time slot now you can bypass the queues on the day (if you want to wait till your there, then you have to queue at the visitor centre to get your passport checked and get a timeslot for later that day (at min at least 2hrs later but upto 2 days later, so prebooking is a lot easier)

seadog101

Heading there in July, myself and son. I will watch this…

Seems a very cheap place to stay. Ibis budget was €50~ a night! And not a bad location.

jamj1974

If it doesn’t take your breath away – don’t book it.

pondo

I see what you did there. 🙂

konagirl
    Free Member

Berlin is a very compact city with good transport, and very very affordable, so don’t overthink it.

I liked seeing the contrast between the old east and west architecture and streetscape. The centre (Mitte) feels like any other city and Potsdamer Platz a modern shopping centre. The area around Reichstag / Brandenburg Gate is lovely to walk around in the day but not great for affordable restaurants on an evening. I’ve always stayed just east in Freidrichshain. It still has a minority of funky, squatter / underground bars in apartment blocks but is mostly just a pleasant suburb. Easy walk to ‘The Wall’ and East Side Gallery on the river but feels very safe. Lots of restaurants and bars around Boxhagener Platz but it might be quite in May, depends on the temperature (in summer it is an outdoor plaza).

johndoh
    Free Member

Depending on how budget you want to go, but I really rate the Meininger chain
    https://www.meininger-hotels.com/

The Berlin Alexanderplatz one is relatively central (short walk to the Metro) and there is a really cool pizza place nearby (I can’t recall its name right now).

tthew

I get that the name is off putting, but the Student Hotel should be excellent if the one we stayed in in Amsterdam is anything to go by. Think more boutique hotel with young clients rather than grotty halls of residence.

noone

Have stayed at the Titanic Chaussee and would recommend. With the exception of the bar which is quite expensive but there are plenty of places to eat/drink and public transport is accessible.

https://www.titanic.com.tr/titanicchausseeberlin/default-en.html

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Lulu Guldsmeden is nice

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Been to Berlin with work a fair few times. Best hotel I stayed in was the Radisson Blu. There’s a massive fish tank (and I mean several storeys high) above reception).

Love Berlin – great city, and easy to get around.

skids
    Free Member

i stayed at H’Otello K’80 Berlin last year its nice and reasonable prices, right next to S Bahn station

SaxonRider

Mrs SR and I stayed here a few years ago, and thought it was more than fantastic. I see the reviews on TripAdvisor are less than impressive, but that seems to have more to do with lack of air conditioning than anything else.

I rate it highly because: a) the room was lovely with a super comfortable bed; b) we were given nicer accommodation than I expected for a budget hotel; c) we enjoyed the walk to the U-Bahn, and discovered a local Russian bakery at which we enjoyed having breakfast; d) it was easy to get into Alexanderplatz.

Whatever the case, Berlin is a fantastic city. Enjoy!

Creg

I was in Berlin at the end of January, can’t comment on the hotels as I stayed in a hostel (Circus Hostel in Mitte and it was very good) but the same hostel also has a hotel in Mitte which might be worth checking out. Easy access into the city on the U-Bahn or a 20 minute walk to museum island etc (https://www.circus-berlin.de/circus-hotel-berlin/)

If you want real lump in the throat stuff the Jewish Memorial and Topography of Terror are well worth a visit.

For great international street food there is a place called Markthalle Neun in Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg on a Thursday which is absolutely brilliant and some good bars nearby for afterwards.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Motel One are decent on a budget, regularly stay in the one in Glasgow.

voodoo_chile

H2 by alexandeeplatz or easy hotel by rosentaler platz basic but decent quality

dougie80
    Free Member

If you want something novel I’ll second the Radisson Blu and its massive fish tank. Stayed there several years ago with my now wife. It was a decent price (admittedly we were there in November) and we were given a choice of room – we chose one that faced ‘in’ and had a balcony that had a view of the aforementioned fish tank. It was a bit surreal but a great hotel. It’s located on the east side just along from the TV tower and most of the popular tourist places are within an easy walk.

Albanach
    Free Member

thanks for all the info folks, it is much appreciated. Looking forward to it as having 2 young kids doesn’t really assist with weekend breaks!

brassneck

For great international street food there is a place called Markthalle Neun in Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg on a Thursday which is absolutely brilliant and some good bars nearby for afterwards.

Can second this, lay off the Moscow Mules if you want to remember the food though!

I like staying around Kreuzberg myself anyway, got an apartment with kitchenette for 50€ a night whilst I was working there last which was a bit more fun than a hotel (off booking.com I think – my works travel center cancelled my hotel due to my flight being delayed and missing a check in ^^)

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Berlin Hotels?’ is closed to new replies.