Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Bent lever blade – replace or ride?
  • ajantom

Hive mind opinion needed…

I bought some Hope brakes on ebay, decent price but not a steal, and one of the Tech Evo lever blades is a bit bent, and has marks that look like someone has had it in a vice and tried to straighten it.

Wasn’t mentioned in the listing, and the seller denies knowledge of this (why of course!).
    He also won’t entertain the thought of giving a partial refund to buy a new blade (they’re about £20).

Am I out of order asking for a partial refund?
    Should I just send them back for a refund?
    Or should I just stop whining, fit and ride them?

mashr

If you want them get a partial refund
    If not bothered, send em back
    If you want them and you’ll get over it, get the partial and ride on

Either way I’d be opening a PayPal case if he’s denying it

ajantom

Yeah, I do want them, but can you open a PP case for a partial refund?

mashr

Pretty sure you can. You’ll just have to raise it as a dispute anyway

mcnultycop

Just send the whole lot back and get a full refund; if the seller has blagged one thing there may be other issues too.

ajantom

I’m beginning to think that might be the best option.
    Annoyingly I’ve already bought some new pads for the brakes (he did at least say they needed new pads in the listing!) and they won’t fit any of my other brakes. So that’d be £15 wasted.

damascus
    Free Member

The listing will state no returns by default.

You will need to raise a case with eBay.

stevextc
    Free Member

So that’d be £15 wasted.

I’d assume you feel you must have got a very good price or why not just send them back and get a different set for the same price and use the pads in them?

So …. well yep it sucks but it’s essentially a Q of how much hassle you want for £20?

euain

I think I’ve got some levers on a shelf in the garage. They’re used but not bent (the callipers corroded but the handle-bar end was fine).

Would be happy to send you one for price of postage and a couple of beers.

BillOddie

Just a thought, you could phone Hope and get them to swap the bald and to give them a service with new seals etc.  Pretty sure they still do this.

nixie

That’s not a cheap option though. By the time you pay for Hope to service you may as well buy new.

OP just send them back. If you can try and get a tech3 based system. Much nicer lever. The pads you have bought will be fine for that as well.

ajantom

OP just send them back. If you can try and get a tech3 based system. Much nicer lever.

The Tech 3 lever doesn’t play nicely with the thumbshifter I have on this bike.
    I know cos I tried some Tech 3 X2 brakes on it.
    The Tech 2 lever is longer and lower so works better.

Anyway, seller has offered a £10 refund, so I’ll take that and see how they run.
    They need a bit of tlc, and if I don’t like em I’ll sell them on.
    Hope always sell!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Go for a big long ride and at the half way point get annoyed with it and try and bend it back. How you’ll laugh when it snaps off in your hand!!! I know I did!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Bent lever blade – replace or ride?’ is closed to new replies.