Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bell Super DH camera mount options
  • zezaskar
    Free Member

Hi all,

Likely been asked a million times before, but here it goes.
    Have a Bell Super DH helmet (love it) and want to find a better PVO camera mounting solution.
    Have tried the top of the helmet mount that comes included (awful) and also a chest harness. On the chest I get way too much vibration (don’t own a gimbal nor a Hero 7) and the angle looks like I have the camera up me crotch.

So I’m thinking about mounting it either under the visor or on the chin.

As I see it, under the visor (but not on the visor itself):
    Pros:
    – no need to have the chin bar whenever I want to film
    – camera is nicely hidden under visor
    – safer?
    Cons:
    – will the 3M sticker alone be strong enough?
    – I generally have my googles on the back of the helmet, with the strap passing under the visor, the camera might interfere with this
    – still quite high, might not be that much better than on top of the helmet?

As for on the chin:
    Pros:
    – best angle?
    – would have a ziptie, pretty sure wont fall off
    Cons:
    – safety I guess
    – will need to have the chin bar mounted when filming
    – very ghetto mount

What’s the general opinion between these two options?
    Thanks in advance

frogstomp

Either way, check out the mounts from R3Pro which may give you a more secure fitting in either position..

zezaskar
    Free Member

Those R3Pro mounts sure look good, but a regular curved adhesive mount and maybe a dremel touch up might be more cost effective

aide

Have the same helmet myself and use a r3pro mount. Pretty happy with it, i had a bell 2r before and made my own mounting for it, i  was fairly happy with it and i made it fairly neat. However i think that the r3pro is a neater option overall. Would recommend it

zezaskar
    Free Member

Under visor or chin?

hooli

Good link for the R3Pro site, I hadn’t seen them before and they have one that will fit the chin of my full face.

I guess I’ll need to turn the sound off if the camera sits there to avoid my grunting and heavy breathing as a soundtrack

aide

Sorry, should have said it’s the chin bar i went for, think it gives a better image than on top of helmet or under visor (ymmv)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

In my professional opinion as as a former professional overpaid glorified Go-Pro mounter.

Buy a big lump of black-tack (the genuine stuff*, don’t cheap out on it), some large zip ties and a roll of Gorilla tape.

Camera in case**, big ball of black-tack, squeeze onto helmet/bike. Zip tie around the camera and whatever it’s attached to. Strip of gorilla tape, cut notch for lens and tape over the camera, several times. Much less camera shake than trying to use a stick-on mount.

*might be an urban myth but apparently it was developed as a coating for grenades. When you get some stuck to your clothes you’ll realize why
    **this is important, black-tack will pull the case off the camera when it comes to removing it. It’ll also pull paint off so best wrap the frame/helmet in something as well.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Bell Super DH camera mount options’ is closed to new replies.