Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 410 total)
  • Being a fatty now socially acceptable
  • philconsequence
    Free Member

priorities innit, got a patient that i’ve helped lose over 3 stone and the biggest battle is trying tog et him to see that planning meals and buying healthy is cheaper than buying junk on a day-to-day basis… he was amazed when i took him shopping and did a weeks shopping for 24quid, but unless someone takes him shopping he’ll stand there in the supermarkets and chose the 20value sausages for 2quid because in his head thats better value than 2quids worth of veg. unfortunately he’ll always prioritise spending on computer games as he gets more enjoyment from them than he does eating vegetables 🙁 doesnt help that the supermarket cakes are discounted to 14p at the end of the day either for his will power!

slimjim78
    Free Member

I’m fat, and I disgust myself.

The good news, i’ve lost loads of weight and will continue to do so. I can’t wait to be ‘normal’

The best news, with (perceived?) low standards that follow from years of being a fattie and being shunned by skinny girls, I still find fat chicks hot.

The world is becoming my oyster.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I have 2 friends with PCOS

If they haven’t got beards they should be happy enough.

mrjmt
    Free Member

I’m fat, and I disgust myself.

The good news, i’ve lost loads of weight and will continue to do so. I can’t wait to be ‘normal’

The best news, with (perceived?) low standards that follow from years of being a fattie and being shunned by skinny girls, I still find fat chicks hot.

The world is becoming my oyster.

8)

GrahamS

What about people who have conditions like PCOS, underactive thyroid, mobility issues etc which make it harder for them to lose weight?

Mrs runs Diabetes clinics. She is constantly told “You don’t know what it’s like. You’re skinny. I trrrrry to lose weight, but the diabetes makes me fat even though I just eat lettuce.”

What her patients fail to realise is that she also has diabetes.

No denying that some health conditions may make it easier to gain weight and harder to lose it. But they don’t make you gain weight by themselves. That’s the pies.

IanMunro
    Free Member

unfortunately he’ll always prioritise spending on computer games as he gets more enjoyment from them than he does eating vegetables

He’s got a point though.:D
    Reminds me of that outnumbered sketch when they’re trying to save money.

Karen: “I know how we can save money! By not buying broccoli!”

Dad: “Yes, but the thing is, Karen – broccoli isn’t really expensive.”

Karen: “Yes, but we don’t need it … ”

jota180
    Free Member

Healthy food IS NOT EXPENSIVE.

‘kin too true there brother

GrahamS

Does that count as two of your 5-a-day?

mrjmt
    Free Member

Healthy food IS NOT EXPENSIVE.

‘kin too true there brother

Christ, they went out in December. I’d want more than 50% off….

philconsequence
    Free Member

i want to set up a business running activity based groups for people suffering from mental health problems, offering personal training tailored to both the physical and mental health needs of the client… whenever i daydream about this i focus on the ‘where can i recruit some chilled personal trainers who would be good with mental health’ and i forget the ‘i need to include dietary advice in this thing too’

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Phil – I think I’m pretty good with mentalists. Where do I apply?

mrjmt
    Free Member

‘where can i recruit some chilled personal trainers who would be good with mental health’

hmm, not sure, but I can recommend a forum where you certainly shouldn’t look for them…..

jota180
    Free Member

Christ, they went out in December. I’d want more than 50% off….

Next December, that’s the beauty of irradiating stuff, they’re veggie too – must be well healthy

philconsequence
    Free Member

lol, they’ve got to be chilled and patient type people, the mental health side i can teach 🙂

simple business model really, i take the referrals, meet and assess them, match them with a trainer, then meet again to develop a training, dietry and care-plan. then off they go with the trainer to get healthy in as many ways possible. then in addition we could run group stuff for homes, CMHTs etc. all reviewed regularly to ensure the plans are updated to match the clients changing needs 🙂 its a model thats neither geographically limited or that would rely on a a minimum turn-over to work as the trainers could work on an agency type basis….

service users now have this whole personal budget thing and that would give them the opportunity of chosing to do it and allocating the money towards it if they found it a positive thing, so there’d be two sources of referrals, self and those made by professionals who think i’m awesome lol.

not that i’ve thought about this for a while now!

mrjmt
    Free Member

Bananas + Radiation =

????

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

patient type people

Get the patients to teach the patients… genius.

Where do I apply?

_tom_
    Free Member

Well done on losing the weight, but it does make me wonder how such a paragon of virtue managed to get 10 stone overweight without noticing.

It’s not that I didn’t notice it’s just I was probably past the point of caring and in that vicious cycle of eating to be happy etc. Plus a lot of it was put on in year 1 of uni where we were pretty much drinking every night and eating loads of shit food. To be honest I don’t really know how I let myself get that revolting. One day I decided I’d had enough and sorted my life out.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Solo – Member

“The facts are when I started training in 1993, 10% of the UK was obese and now 25% are. We are absolutely not moving the goalposts – we are getting fatter,” she says.

Are we up to 25% now ?.

Only 25% of me is obese. The middle 25%. The rest is fine.

coffeeking
    Free Member

What about people who have conditions like PCOS, underactive thyroid, mobility issues etc which make it harder for them to lose weight?

I have 2 friends with PCOS – one who is very conscious of managing her weight, and tries very hard to eat well and stay active, and one who doesn’t try. But both of them are overweight, though the friend who makes an effort is a stone or so lighter, she is still what may be classed as “fat” or at least “chubby”.

I would argue though that she is healthier than the friend who doesn’t bother to eat healthy or exercise. She aint ever gonna be a skinny minnie, but I don’t think she should be made to feel that she isn’t acceptable because of that.

None of that changes anything. Thyroid issues can be medically fixed, the rest where they can’t be fixed can be managed, as your less fat friend has shown. There’s a healthy range, within that healthy range I see no issues even with a target being an athletic person. Outside that range it’s just plain unhealthy. Sure people with issues need to do more to stay closer to the goal, life’s unfair, tough.

jota180
    Free Member

“The facts are when I started training in 1993, 10% of the UK was obese and now 25% are. We are absolutely not moving the goalposts – we are getting fatter,” she says.

I blame immigration, I’m calling the Home Office right now to speak to that nice lady who told the border control to turn a blind eye for a while.

wrecker
    Free Member

There’s a healthy range, within that healthy range I see no issues even with a target being an athletic person. Outside that range it’s just plain unhealthy.

What’s the range; how’s it measured?

mrjmt
    Free Member

What’s the range; how’s it measured?

Well, without wanting to jump in here, I’d imagine that a healthy weight range may well be erm, the range in which a person’s weight doesn’t cause health issues?
    And the measure would be whether there are any health issues?

ChrisHeath

My view on this is simple: tax cr** food and use revenue to subsidise fruit and veg

Well, they could make a start by charging VAT on things like, pies, pasties, sausage rolls. I’m sure that’d be perfectly acceptable.

Oh…

miketually
    Free Member

The easiest way is with BMI, with between 18 and 25 being healthy. There are exceptions to this, but it works at a population level and is a good indicator for most people.

*awaits mention of England rugby team or the GB rowing squad*

wrecker
    Free Member

Well, without wanting to jump in here, I’d imagine that a healthy weight range may well be erm, the range in which a person’s weight doesn’t cause health issues?
    And the measure would be whether there are any health issues?

Sounds a bit sensible. This is STW FFS, who do you think you are? 😉

*awaits mention of England rugby team or the GB rowing squad*

Or any rugby team or many track and/or field athletes, swimmers, fighters, aussie rules players, baseball players etc etc. BMI is toss.
    A doctor could *probably* tell by looking whether someone is fat and as a doctor should be entitled to tell someone to sort their shit out. If we’re getting scientific though, a bodyfat measurement would be the only real way to do it.

GrahamS

Saw this in Closet Homosexual Monthly Men’s Health…

http://news.menshealth.com/this-pic-instant-exercise-motivation/2012/01/27/

The white bits are fat.

I know which steak I’d rather have.

D0NK

Cheap convenience food is generally made tasy by adding lots of sugar, salt and fat.

to be fair a lot of proper cooked food is made tastier by adding salf fat and sugar 🙂

D0NK

I know which steak I’d rather have.

<groove armada – at the river plays>matured triathlete steak hung for 17 days, in a rich creamy au poivre sauce, with sautteed british grown potatoes this isn’t just canniblism this is M&S cannibalism.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Donk, you’ve just made me really hungry 😯

samuri
    Free Member

I’m not sure i’d ever want a cross section of my bollocks to be put on the internet.

billysugger
    Free Member

mmm steak.

Anyway,

Of course the post-war development of cheap luxuries has been a very
    fortunate thing for our rulers. It is quite likely that fish-and-chips,
    art-silk stockings, tinned salmon, cut-price chocolate (five two-ounce bars
    for sixpence), the movies, the radio, strong tea, and the Football Pools
    have between them averted revolution. Therefore we are some-times told that
    the whole thing is an astute manoeuvre by the governing class–a sort of
    ‘bread and circuses’ business–to hold the unemployed down

I’m glad someone has digitalified it. Nothing really changes.

Listen up kids

coffeeking
    Free Member

Or any rugby team or many track and/or field athletes, swimmers, fighters, aussie rules players, baseball players etc etc. BMI is toss.
    A doctor could *probably* tell by looking whether someone is fat and as a doctor should be entitled to tell someone to sort their shit out. If we’re getting scientific though, a bodyfat measurement would be the only real way to do it.

Indeed, it’s hard to cover the range of potential athletic types with a number that is simply a division of height and weight. That’s like comparing car performance by looking at engine size – utterly pointless. But BMI is an I, not a measurement. There’s body fat percentage measurements that accurately cover this and as said in very sensible form – any body fat percentage that causes or is likely to cause increases in health issues should be outside the target range.

(BTW I’m not coming at this as an athlete or a slim toned person, I’m just able to accept that I’m not ideal and there should be few excuses to being outside ideal ranges).

atlaz
    Free Member

On the spaghetti bolognese bit, I recall Heston Blumenthal made his “perfect spag bol” and gave it to people in the UK who wanted it more tomato-y and on top of the pasta rather than tossed with it. He said that what people WANT from a spag bolognese is not a traditional one but the one they grew up eating.

to be fair a lot of proper cooked food is made tastier by adding salf fat and sugar

I use loads. Really nice towards the end of a stew type thing to mix a little butter in. Gives it a nice shine and richness. That said, I’d rather eat something I cook at home with quality ingredients even if it is fatty than a micro meal as I bet for the same portion it’d be fattier and saltier.

alex222
    Free Member

The clues are there; poor diet + lack of exercise = short life.

Whilst I understand what you are getting at; it is not always the case.

EDIT

Is it?

Snack:
    Apple 25p, mars bar 55p

Dinner:
    Microwave spag bol £2.50 (35g of fat!), or any takeaway is goin to be £6+ and many times worse than that.

Home made spag bol
    200g mince (so at least double the ready meal, ~10% fat) £5/kg, £1
    Value Pasta 30p/packet ~ 7p portion
    Tin of tomatoes 33p
    assorted herbs, glug of red wine, salt/stock, chilli – 30p?
    total = £1.70

How much cheeper does it need to be?

^^^ this – unhealthy food is less costly in effort not in monitory terms.

wrecker
    Free Member

But BMI is an I, not a measurement.

True, but if it doesn’t then work why use it?
    I know that guys have been turned away from the armed services for being out of range according to the BMI despite running sub 8-minute BFTs (1.5 miles). That’s the trouble with blunt tools like this; the medical profession throw their weight(!) behind it and it starts being taken literally and applied across the board.

coffeeking
    Free Member

True, but if it doesn’t then work why use it?

Because it’s an easy I that suggests more M may be needed? Again, with the car analogy, if coolant is going missing you need to do more checks. You don’t do a head-gasket check and strip/rebuilt the engine every time it has a service, you look for key indicators.

I know that guys have been turned away from the armed services for being out of range according to the BMI despite running sub 8-minute BFTs (1.5 miles). That’s the trouble with blunt tools like this; the medical profession throw their weight(!) behind it and it starts being taken literally and applied across the board.

True, but none of that changes the point? If other people take the I and use it out of context or without qualification then that’s their problem to deal with, not the fault of the indicator.

Solo
    Free Member

Similar to the anchient Greeks

Did someone mention the Ghreeks ?…

wrecker
    Free Member

not the fault of the indicator.

Fair point, it’s the fault of people paying it too much credence.
    I have no desire to fall within “normal” on the BMI, In fact I haven’t been in that range since I was about 17 and have passed through Lympestone in the mean time.

molgrips
    Free Member

Grow your own FFS, you can even do it indoors if you have no garden. We get our veg from the local farm shop every week, it costs us less than £15 for a weeks worth of fresh salad, fruit, veg etc. If you have no farmshop then instead of avoiding the fruit and veg isles in the supermarket and heading straight for the easy options, take a look at the offers. There’s always stuff on offer, or buy the stuff thats short on date and erm, maybe go shopping more than once a week?!?

What you are talking about is effectively totally transforming someone who doesn’t think much about anything to someone who does. A laudable aim but rather difficult to do.

miketually
    Free Member

For 90% of the population, BMI would give a perfectly good indicator of whether or not they were in the overweight category. But so would a mirror.

It can be deceptive though: I remember seeing mention of a recent study that found 40% of people in the normal BMI range actually had unhealthy levels of visceral fat around their organs.

People are very good at deceiving themselves though: “Yes I could lose a stone or two, but I’m not exactly a biffer” usually means “I am at least three stone overweight”.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 410 total)

The topic ‘Being a fatty now socially acceptable’ is closed to new replies.