Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 410 total)
  • Being a fatty now socially acceptable
  • Solo
    Free Member

From memory my Home Economics classes in school mainly involved baking cakes. And some sewing.

I’m not sure either would help much.

I agree that H/E in schools probably isn’t very effective.

Of course, I then wonder how all those gnerations of people throughout history, learnt to cook.
    You know, before H/E, before National service.
    Probably not before fetishism.

I like to get sat on by women who weigh more than 20 stone
    Not that they’d know it though.
    😉

tails
    Free Member

Besides aren’t half of you on the idave diet!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

glug of red wine

Where can I buy a glug of red wine?

Solo
    Free Member

sugar is as addictive as nicotine in my mind

I saw what you did there.
    😉

Solo
    Free Member

At the glug shop, you know, it just round the corner from where Phil works.
    Some of us call it a….. pub.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Yep, some of us are half on the iDiet. Cake just tastes too damn good. Plus I’ve worked out that I’m different to the average person so it’s ok.

GrahamS

Of course, I then wonder how all those gnerations of people throughout history, learnt to cook.
    You know, before H/E, before National service.

I think it was different in the past when generations of families tended to live together or near each other, everyone got round the table for dinner every night and did a big roast on a Sunday.

Plus of course there were no other options. Ready Meals either didn’t exist or were revolting. Disposable income was lower so take-away or going out was a treat not a regular thing.

Marks&Sparks actually sell wine in wine glasses!
    (Presumably for people lacking opposable thumbs)

Solo
    Free Member

Cake just tastes too damn good

Specialy if DD made it….

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Marks&Sparks actually sell wine in wine glasses!

For 30p?

That’s not just any old wine, that’s M&S getting Yeti pished off his face wine.

Solo
    Free Member

Plus of course there were no other options. Ready Meals either didn’t exist or were revolting. Disposable income was lower so take-away or going out was a treat not a regular thing.

An excellent post which, for me, sums up how we got to 25% obeastity, during the last 30 yrs or so.

Solo
    Free Member

That’s not just any old wine, that’s M&S getting Yeti pished off his face wine

Aw, go on then, just a glug.
    Be worth it just to observe a pished yeti.

miketually
    Free Member

Why would eating that way mean someone was overweight or obese? You seem to be confusing diets and dieting:

Diet, in relation to food, might mean:
    [list][*]Diet (nutrition), the sum of the food consumed by an organism or group[/*]
    [*]Dieting, the deliberate selection of food to control body weight or nutrient intake[/*]
    [*]Diet food, foods that aid in dieting[/*]
    [*]Cuisine, the diet of a particular culture[/*][/list]

I’m eating the iDiet way. I’m also a smidge under 11 stone at a smidge under 6 foot, which gives me a BMI of 21.1

GrahamS

Ah here we go…

[DAILYMAILWARNING] http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1286346/Wine-glass-Entrepreneur-ridiculed-Dragons-Den-toasts-M-S-success.html [/DAILYMAILWARNING]

£2.25 each apparently.

(I find Port is better in Spag Bol anyway 😉 )

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Be worth it just to observe a pished yeti.

Log on most evenings… find a thread about fatties… hey presto.

Ready Meals either didn’t exist or were revolting. Disposable income was lower so take-away or going out was a treat not a regular thing.

This IMO is why the iDiet works. It’s why any sensible diet works. You cook properly with fresh ingredients, you don’t get fat. It’s simple.

Port? In spag bog??? Are you insane? Milk and white wine FTW.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

FWIW, I completely agree that pointing at [b]land whales[/b][/u] in the street and shouting “Fatty fatty fat fat” isn’t helpful and does mean you are a ****.

Barsteward: Now have tea dripping out of my nose and an office full of people staring at me!! 😆

Solo
    Free Member

I’m eating the iDiet way. I’m also a smidge under 11 stone at a smidge under 6 foot, which gives me a BMI of 21.1

Well, may be, but I still award you today’s awesomeness award for being one of those people, who while unfortunately in the minority, here on STW.
    Were at least open minded enough to allow your preconceptions to be challenged and to give something new a try.
    😀

Solo
    Free Member

Log on most evenings… find a thread about fatties… hey presto.

So, errr,…. you watched that video then ?…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Nah, I didn’t get in until late… cooked a big beef and bean stew for tonight, chorizio and spinach omelette for tea last night, made lunch and breakfast and pre swim snack for this afternoon. Packed 3 sets of gym kit then collapsed on the sofa with some rum and lemonade.

Is it worth just listening to?

GrahamS

Port? In spag bog??? Are you insane? Milk and white wine FTW.

MILK??

WTF? Are you thinking of Spaghetti Carbonara?

Carbonara:

Bolognese:

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Your bottom pic is a ragu.

Carbonara sauce comes from the egg and a touch of water from the boiling pasta.

Solo
    Free Member

Is it worth just listening to?

Not really, you need the visuals, especially when, as shown, some people have half a body which is super lean, the other half which is chunky.
    ( can we use the word chunky ? )

This demonstrated that looking at calories alone, didn’t seem to explain why half the body was lean, the other not.
    But of course, counting cals does work.
    😉

konabunny
    Free Member

bring back national service i say! didn’t do me any harm.

String em up. it’s the only language i understand.

miketually
    Free Member

I believe Bolognese should be made with white wine, if made in the traditional way of the city for which it is named. But different areas of Italy cook their ragu in different ways. I add a glass of wine first and then a glass of milk once that’s reduced down.

A ragu is the best way of teaching people to cook, I think. replace the beef mince with chicken and you get a completely different dish. Chuck in some curry spices and you have curry. Kidney beans and chilli pepper makes a chilli.

In fact, loads of recipes can be reduced to:

“chop up some onions and garlic. Fry them. Add meat (optional). Add some chopped up veg. Add beans (optional). Add liquid (wine, tinned tomatoes, stock, or even just water. Add herbs or spices. Simmer. Eat with salad/potatoes/pasta/bread/whatever.”

Cooking’s a doddle.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Cooking’s a doddle. pleasure

FTFY… would love to know some of your bread recipes BTW.

toys19
    Free Member

“chop up some onions and garlic. Fry them. Add meat (optional). Add some chopped up veg. Add beans (optional). Add liquid (wine, tinned tomatoes, stock, or even just water. Add herbs or spices. Simmer. Eat with salad/potatoes/pasta/bread/whatever.”

Cooking’s a doddle.

My wife thinks I’m a genius when in fact most of my cooking is along these lines. Thank god she’ll never find my internet history on the crappy ipad.

GrahamS

Your bottom pic is a ragu.

That may be, but stick “spaghetti bolognese” into Google Images and you’ll a couple of million images almost exactly like that one.

Here’s the BBC Good Food Spag Bol recipe (red wine, no milk)

Here’s Jamie Oliver’s Bolognese sauce with pasta (no milk)

Here’s ItalianChef.com’s Tagliatelle alla Bolognese (no milk)

etc etc etc

It’s a controversial issue apparently

Solo
    Free Member

I still want a ruling on the word ” Chunky “, seeing as we’re being all PC.

EDIT:
    HOw many calories in bread ?.

miketually
    Free Member

would love to know some of your bread recipes BTW

I just use Plan Bread Bakery’s recipe: http://storify.com/wadds/how-to-make-sough-dough-by-at-planbreadbakery (have to read from the bottom up, IIRC

Summarised: mix 200g sourdough starter, 470g white, 50g wholemeal, 250g water then wait 0:20. Add 9g salt and 50g water and mix gaian then wait 0:20. Knead. Leave to prove for 3:00. Tension then leave for 0:30. Shape then leave for 3:00. Slash. Bake (40 mins if doing one big loaf, 20 if two small ones).

miketually
    Free Member

How many calories in bread?

No idea.

toys19
    Free Member

That may be, but stick “spaghetti bolognese” into Google Images and you’ll a couple of million images almost exactly like that one.

Yes and stick “Proof of God” into google you’ll also find a couple of million pages, doesn’t make it true though..

Solo
    Free Member

No idea.

😀

GrahamS

Thank god she’ll never find my internet history on the crappy ipad.

How are you still struggling with that?? Bookmarks->History

Yes and stick “Proof of God” into google you’ll also find a couple of million pages, doesn’t make it true though..

Well true, but a named recipe is only really what everyone agrees it is.

I did hear some Italian Countess bemoaning on the radio a while ago that there was “no such thing” as Spaghetti Bolognese (in much the same way as many popular UK Indian meals are made up).

She seemed to rather miss the point that it did in fact exist and is enjoyed worldwide, it perhaps just isn’t as authentically Italian as some people think.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Graham… just admit you’re wrong and try making a traditional bolognese sauce… you might like it.

GrahamS

Never. 😀

Though I might well try the milk/wine recipe in the Guardian article. It does sound nice.

But it’s not my idea of a spag bol.

In response I suggest you try making the “traditional bolognese sauce” suggested by the Italian Federation of Chefs in this article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/7017565/Italian-chefs-tell-world-how-to-make-correct-bolognese.html

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

There’s no doubt that obesity is a massive health issue, and I agree that the focus should be on HEALTH not whether being fat is socially acceptable or aesthetically pleasing – if we are going to challenge the obesity crisis we should also challenge society’s obsession with skinny and the body beautiful. I’ve worked with primary school age girls who think they are fat and have poor body image – it’s heartbreaking.

Some girls who find that they can’t keep up with the skinny ideals get into a “f*** it” mentality – they comfort eat because they feel bad about their weight and think they’ll never look like the girls in the magazines anyway, so they might as well eat what they want. Some fall into binge eating, bulimia or unhealthy cycles of bingeing and fasting and yo-yo dieting.

it’s a difficult balance to strike – we SHOULD make different body shapes and sizes acceptable but we should also promote people being healthy, both mentally and physically. A skinny person who is depressed, malnourished, or has an eating disorder will also cost the NHS a lot of money, let’s not forget.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

But it’s not my idea of a spag bol.

😆 you need to change your way of thinking. It’s all the rage at the moment.

mrjmt
    Free Member

tax cr** food and use revenue to subsidise fruit and veg. Healthy food is too expensive.

I don’t normally get annoyed by stuff, and try to avoid watching news etc. but this is one thing that really ****es me off.

Healthy food IS NOT EXPENSIVE. Grow your own FFS, you can even do it indoors if you have no garden. We get our veg from the local farm shop every week, it costs us less than £15 for a weeks worth of fresh salad, fruit, veg etc. If you have no farmshop then instead of avoiding the fruit and veg isles in the supermarket and heading straight for the easy options, take a look at the offers. There’s always stuff on offer, or buy the stuff thats short on date and erm, maybe go shopping more than once a week?!?

The problem is that healthy food takes slightly more effort than crap food and the general public just can’t be arsed.

And not knowing what / how to cook is no excuse either. Buy a ****ing book and stop blaming everyone/thing else for you own idle behaviour.

Its not wonder you’re fat.

GrahamS

Healthy food IS NOT EXPENSIVE. Grow your own FFS, you can even do it indoors

Tried that. The cow shit ruined the sofa.

coffeeking
    Free Member

it’s a difficult balance to strike – we SHOULD make different body shapes and sizes acceptable but we should also promote people being healthy, both mentally and physically.

Not really possible though is it. Being obese isn’t healthy. You can’t promote being healthy and highlight the downsides of excess weight if you’re accepting of larger body shapes? Personally I think there’s an easy(?) solution, the only body shapes that should be presented as favourable should be athletic ones, these are built by careful nourishment and excercise. Neither skinny malnouros nor overweight McD’s eaters can achieve a toned athletic figure. Similar to the anchient Greeks – IIRC they thought of their athletes as figures to be followed. Now assuming you can also see drug using/doped athletes as the antichrist you’ve got a society that promotes being healthy, which comes with a balance of excercise and good eating, regardless of job or background.

I don’t normally get annoyed by stuff, and try to avoid watching news etc. but this is one thing that really ****es me off.

Healthy food IS NOT EXPENSIVE.

Totally agree, even without growing your own it’s not expensive. Though I have to admit some crap food is VERY cheap.

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

What about people who have conditions like PCOS, underactive thyroid, mobility issues etc which make it harder for them to lose weight?

I have 2 friends with PCOS – one who is very conscious of managing her weight, and tries very hard to eat well and stay active, and one who doesn’t try. But both of them are overweight, though the friend who makes an effort is a stone or so lighter, she is still what may be classed as “fat” or at least “chubby”.

I would argue though that she is healthier than the friend who doesn’t bother to eat healthy or exercise. She aint ever gonna be a skinny minnie, but I don’t think she should be made to feel that she isn’t acceptable because of that.

Maybe I should get her on iDave!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 410 total)

The topic ‘Being a fatty now socially acceptable’ is closed to new replies.