• This topic has 1,149 replies, 106 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by j_me.
Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 1,150 total)
  • Beginners guide to nuclear power stations ?
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

One thing that will happen is that Scotland and England are moving in different directions. No new nukes in Scotland and an investment in alternatives with the aim of making Scotland a world leader with skills and installations to export. as well as exporting power to England 🙂

we will know in ten years time which was right

We have world leading tech in wave and tidal and also in hydrogen storage

molgrips
    Free Member

around the coast the tide is at very different times

Looks to be a couple of hours in it as far as I can tell from the BBC tide tables, between Scotland and the South West.

As for hydrogen storage – can’t imagine how you’d process and store enough H2 to cover that kind of demand in such a short space of time. And then what to do with it? Can you spin up a H2 generating station in a short space of time?

zokes
    Free Member

we will know in ten years time which was right

Zigakly.

So why to you pretend to already know the answer – explicitly excluding one proven generation technology simply because you are incapable of considering it objectively?

You can bleat about the scale of the disaster at Fukushima as much as you like, but whilst appearing drastic, it has had exactly no effect on a global level. By the very reason you’re pushing renewables, I assume you’re only too aware of the effect the routine operation of fossil-fuelled plants has? These are what will be built to replace the existing nuclear plants if no more nuclear facilities are constructed.

With time, a lot more renewable energy would be great, and you are correct, short-term storage technologies are improving all the time to iron out the bumps. But we’re still a long way away from them being a major part of any industrialised nation’s energy portfolio. If only would would grasp that noone on here being a ‘nuclear evangelist’ in your eyes sees U-fission as a long term solution competing with renewables. Instead, what we are all proposing is that a new generation of U-fission would not only reduce the need for new fossil-fuelled stations to replace ageing nuclear and conventional generation, but it would provide new impetus to improve R&D into both thorium fission and potentially fusion technologies. The fact is, we need both these and much improved renewable energy to create a long-term sustainable energy production system to cater for current and future energy demands.

zokes
    Free Member

As for hydrogen storage – can’t imagine how you’d process and store enough H2 to cover that kind of demand in such a short space of time. And then what to do with it? Can you spin up a H2 generating station in a short space of time?

The current CCGT gas stations spin up in a couple of minutes, so I doubt this would be an issue. We’re already pretty good at storing large amounts of gas anyway, so it being H2 probably won’t pose too many issues. The use of ‘excess’ electricity to electrolyse water to H2 certainly makes a lot of sense.

Edukator
    Free Member

Having watched the fusion saga for over thrity years I’ve noted that each time the scientists get a bigger, better accelerator to play with, they they realise an even bigger one will be needed to get a sustainable plasma. We are now further from success than 30 years ago if you still take any notice of their promises. Renewable is here, now and working wherever it’s been installed.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I assume you’re only too aware of the effect the routine operation of fossil-fuelled plants has? These are what will be built to replace the existing nuclear plants if no more nuclear facilities are constructed.

~This is utter bullshine. Energy efficiency and renewables can easily replace all the energy produced by nukes and more. Remember to look more widely at the nations total energy usage and total co2 production.

This is the crucial point you don’t want to accept.

So why to you pretend to already know the answer – explicitly excluding one proven generation technology simply because you are incapable of considering it objectively?

You mean nukes? Proven to be polluting, dangerous, unreliable and expensive with a huge lead time. Proven to be not needed as well.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

zokes – Member

“As for hydrogen storage – can’t imagine how you’d process and store enough H2 to cover that kind of demand in such a short space of time. And then what to do with it? Can you spin up a H2 generating station in a short space of time? “

The current CCGT gas stations spin up in a couple of minutes, so I doubt this would be an issue. We’re already pretty good at storing large amounts of gas anyway, so it being H2 probably won’t pose too many issues. The use of ‘excess’ electricity to electrolyse water to H2 certainly makes a lot of sense.

Its a new tech needed further research but is working on a very small scale already.

I suspect the amount you need to store will be a the limiting factor but its a couple of hours generation worth not a few days. Fuel cells turn on instantly.

It is not as easy to store as natural gas. Also by the time you go from tidal to electricity to hydrogen to electricity you have introduced a load of inefficiencies. If you get 30% of the kinetic energy gathered as electricity at the end I would be surprised.

molgrips
    Free Member

What about energy density of H2 versus natural gas? And is it liquified in those big storage gasometer tanks?

aracer
    Free Member

At 43° N I’m further south than parts of Spain

Well done edukator – I knew there had to be some way to get you to admit straight how irrelevant your PV figures are to us. You get better sun incidence on 21st December than we manage even here in the Southish end of the UK between 1st November and 9th February, yet still you have a deficit in December – it seems my 3 month outage was rather optimistic.

Are you suggesting that countries achieving 16% (average – doubtless a lot less than that for significant periods) electricity production from renewables means they can achieve 100% (or even 50%) if they just try a bit harder? If so then you’re a liar. You might think you know the way, but 16% != 100%, and there are all sorts of issues in that gap you’re either ignoring or are ignorant of. Though j’écoute si vous m’edukate.

Edukator
    Free Member

Just taking wind, Germany is Europe’s biggest electricty user and currently produces 7% with wind turbines. Cycle around its coast and through the middle and you’ll soon realise that the potential sites could easily generate fifteen times more. Then take PV; a lot of roofs have panels but the remaining potential is enormous. The potential is there, we simply need to exploit it.

As for energy saving, have a look at your own abode. How well insulated are your walls. Double glazing and shutters, or triple glazing? Heat source?, Roof insulation to R8 or more? (at least a foot of most insulators). Under floor insulation?

zokes
    Free Member

~This is utter bullshine. Energy efficiency and renewables can easily replace all the energy produced by nukes and more. Remember to look more widely at the nations total energy usage and total co2 production.

This is the crucial point you don’t want to accept.

If it’s so easy, why hasn’t it happened? What’s the issue? According to you, renewable energy is plentiful and cheap, so why aren’t all the profiteering energy companies making a killing from it? You continually bleat on about how energy efficiency will just ‘happen’. If the world had more people like you and Edukator, then this might be the case. But it doesn’t, so it won’t. If anyone is talking complete bullshine consistently on any thread to do with nuclear power, then that would be you, TJ, and noone else.

(Note stage two of the ‘TJ defence’ now in play – give up arguing a point’s merits, and instead start laying into the opposing viewpoint with low-level insults in the hope that they’ll get fed up with arguing)

aracer
    Free Member

Proven to be polluting, dangerous, unreliable

Do you think if you keep repeating these things often enough they might become true? How much pollution does a nuclear power station produce compared to a coal powered one (come to that how much radiation does one emit…)? How many people have been killed in the UK due to our nuclear power stations, and how many due to wind generation? How unreliable is Sizewell B, compared to any other power station in the UK, let alone generation relying on wind which doesn’t always blow?

zokes
    Free Member

Renewable is here, now and working wherever it’s been installed.

Unless it’s cloudy, or not windy enough, or too windy, or the tide’s turning, or, or, or….

When will you get edukated? It’s not either/or nukes/renewables, it’s both. The either/or is coal/nukes. This is the argument the more rational of us on here are trying to make, whilst you hijack it with emotive straw men about renewables or mega-disaster-3-headed-monster technology.

zokes
    Free Member

Proven to be polluting, dangerous, unreliable

Nah, he’s talking about coal….

Edukator
    Free Member

Ever heard of lobbies, vested interests, funding of political parties, corruption, friends in high places, monopolies, cartels, NIMBY and so on, Zokes? You’ll note that where legislation breaks down some of those barriers micro producers are ready and willing to invest, genrate renewable energy and reap the rewards.

sobriety
    Free Member

This is slightly OT. I actually work in the industry, as a safety engineer no less. I feel I may have something constructive to add to the discussion (although zokes has said much of what I would), but the vehemence of TJs posts has sucessfully put me off. I wonder how many other users/potential users of this (otherwise excellent forum) he dissuades from posting.

aracer
    Free Member

Edukator – you’re not listening. It’s all very well saying how much potential for wind power there is, but wind power is proven to be unreliable – or hadn’t you noticed? How do you get 100% from renewables in December if the wind isn’t blowing?

Edukator
    Free Member

By reducing demand, Aracer, so that the pump stored energy, tidal energy and is adequate. PV still produces half the energy I use in mid december. It’s never a flat calm all over Europe.

Anyone care to answer the questions about the energy efficiency of their own homes? I’m sure you could all cut your energy use and I’d like some info so I can give you an idea by how much.

zokes
    Free Member

I wonder how many other users/potential users of this (otherwise excellent forum) he dissuades from posting.

Sadly, plenty. Last time the effect his posting style has on other users was discussed, he ‘flounced’ for a while, but now sadly seems to be back to his old self. Pity, he usually has lots of worthwhile and intelligent things to say on most threads. For some reason, he just can’t bear to grasp the argument most of us are actually making is about nuclear vs coal, NOT nuclear vs renewables. Same goes for the ironically-named one….

zokes
    Free Member

By reducing demand

So we’re back here again. You may want to reduce your consumption, many of us can see the need. However, the vast majority of the population take exception at the concept of having to use a slightly different form of lightbulb. Good luck convincing them that they can reduce their requirements by the levels you have attained.

j_me
    Free Member

the argument most of us are actually making is about nuclear vs coal, NOT nuclear vs renewables

Did I miss something ?

aracer
    Free Member

Ironically, those on this thread – even those of us arguing in favour of nuclear – are mostly (if not all) very much in favour of reducing energy consumption, and the use of renewables. The rest of the population and industry in general a lot less bothered.

Edukator
    Free Member

Go on then, Aracer. What were your gas and electricity bills last year? How many people in the household? Answers to the questions about insulation. I seriously doubt that your being in favour of reducing energy consumption means you’ve done anything to reduce your own consumption.

My electricity consumption last year was 2200kWh and is lower so far this year. No gas consumtion. Electricity production 3200kWh.

Now compare.

Dibbs
    Free Member

PV still produces half the energy I use in mid december.

Even at night?

And as for Hydrogen, I work with it on a daily basis and I’m sure most people don’t realise just how explosive/dangerous it is. Remember that a lot of the damage in Fukushima was caused by a Hydrogen explosion.

Edukator
    Free Member

There’s a pump storage hydro scheme less than 40km away which can store up surplusses produced in the day for use at night. Don’t make the mistake of seeing anyone one renewable source in isolation. They are complementary.

LPG is explosive too, we manage that OK.

zokes
    Free Member

Go on then, Aracer. What were your gas and electricity bills last year? How many people in the household? Answers to the questions about insulation. I seriously doubt that your being in favour of reducing energy consumption means you’ve done anything to reduce your own consumption.

If you’re doubting those of the population environmentally aware enough of the topic to waste their time talking to people on the internet who seem to be incapable of taking their blinkers of, what makes you think the population at large gives a flying fish about your major energy conservation to the point where they seriously have to change their lifestyles?

Next election:

Labour policy – efficiency the only way, large scale cuts in use coupled with spending your own money on PV etc. vs

Tories – You can keep your lights and 52″ plasma on – we’ll build more nukes.

Given that a large proportion of the population bases its vote choice on The Sun’s prevailing editorial policy, what makes you think, back here away from your yurt, that a majority would vote for Labour if that was the deciding issue between the two parties?

Likewise, as most people now seem to think global warming is at best non-anthropogenic, and at worst fabrication as a means of bringing in more taxes, do you think they’d have any qualms over a new generation of coal? It avoids the emotive nuclear issue, so what’s the problem…. It really baffles me how, when you obviously have some nouce to have adopted your lifestyle, you seem to be lacking the perception that the majority will not, and no democratically elected party (if it wishes to remain elected) will be able to force the issue.

This is very frustratingly going round in circles….

zokes
    Free Member

There’s a pump storage hydro scheme less than 40km away which can store up surplusses produced in the day for use at night.

What, all night, for everyone? You really have no grasp of the scale required for large-scale pumped storage, do you? Dinorwic, one of the largest plants in the world, and in one of the few places in the world suitable, barely manages to keep the lights on when the adverts come on during Corrie in the winter, and that’s just a few cups of tea….

j_me
    Free Member

Tories – You can keep your lights and 52″ plasma on – we’ll the French will build more nukes for us.

FTFY

Edukator
    Free Member

Go on Zokes and Areacer, what were your gas and electricty bills last year?

Dibbs
    Free Member

LPG is explosive too, we manage that OK.

LPG isn’t in the same league when it comes to the range of explosive mixture (Explosive limits of hydrogen in air are 18.3 to 59 percent by volume).

Dibbs
    Free Member

http://www.fhc.co.uk/dinorwig.htm

Hmm appears to be able to supply the equivalent to Sizewell B for 5 hours and then the water has to be pumped back up the hill again unless you want to wait for rain to fill the lake 🙄

zokes
    Free Member

Go on Zokes and Areacer, what were your gas and electricty bills last year?

I couldn’t honestly tell you, in the past year I’ve lived in three houses in two hemispheres. Also, as I (and an increasingly large proportion of the population) rent, there’s not much I (or they) can do on the insulation / efficient heating / PV / wind front.

FWIW, in both my old houses in the UK, heating was on for 30 mins in the morning to take the chill off. Thereafter it was wood in the log-burner. Over here, I think I may need a solid-fuelled air conditioner instead, so no log burner (and little need for one).

Still no idea what this would do to help your argument – we already accept that the basis for your irritatingly pious position is a fairly unique home set up with some fairly major lifestyle changes from the average European resident.

EDIT: Quite an irony that given my field of work, I’ve flown further in the last 12 months than I had in my previous 27 years.

aracer
    Free Member

Don’t make the mistake of seeing anyone one renewableelectricity source in isolation. They are complementary.

FTFY

As for my energy bill, sorry don’t have it in front of me, and really cba going to find them this evening just to satisfy you. I doubt they’re particularly low if that keeps you happy – we’ve had the heating on quite a bit, and sometimes use the tumble drier. Though all that really proves is that even somebody concerned about these things and willing to put a bit of effort in isn’t really doing a very good job. Now explain to me exactly how you’re going to persuade the great mass of public not even as bothered as me?

j_me
    Free Member

Now explain to me exactly how you’re going to persuade the great mass of public not even as bothered as me?

What kind of car do you drive, and how much more efficient and less polluting is it compared to the average car on the road 30 years ago ? Or indeed on the road in America today ?

BermBandit
    Free Member

However if you actually look at the list – I have only had a brief glance – very few decommissioning completed at huge costs. None in the UK

Most of the reactors on that list are not in fact decommissioned, and those that are have in effect been taken away and buried in a hole, rather than made safe per se. Its also noticable that its costing hugely more and taking longer than anticipated. So yet more dosh going into the nuclear program by default.

To me its a bit like that first motor we all once had. Cheap as chips and then you have to stump up a huge bill for a bit thats failed, so before you know it you’ve invested loads into it that you never intended to. Then you get into the “rather than cut my losses I’ll keep it so I get my investment back” school of thought that inevitably leads to more mopney going into it until before you know it you can’t afford to do the smart thing and off it in favou of something more sensible.

aracer
    Free Member

I drive a 12 year old car. That makes it far less polluting than most cars on the road, but I don’t see most people being happy with that!

T1000
    Free Member

I posted yesterday asking what’s the cost of PV, Wind, Tidal V Nuclear per KW installed and didn’t get an answer…
    I’ve seen lots of negative comments about nuclear and green technologies yet no one seems to have an answer.. I’m not convinced by either the fine sounding words and predications’ of doom…
    Show me the nr’s….

j_me
    Free Member

Leaded or unleaded fuel ?

aracer
    Free Member

Neither

j_me
    Free Member

Low sulphur diesel ? LPG ?
    My point is; behaviours can be changed. But it takes a sound policy, education and some carrots/sticks.

Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 1,150 total)

The topic ‘Beginners guide to nuclear power stations ?’ is closed to new replies.