• This topic has 1,149 replies, 106 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by j_me.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 1,150 total)
  • Beginners guide to nuclear power stations ?
  • As I understand it…

The fuel rods get hot.
    Water gets circulated around them (the “cooling water” that everyone’s talking about at the moment).
    The water turns to steam and is used to drive a turbine.

The whole lot is contained in a sealed, or at least sealable, building.
    If there’s a water or steam leak, it’s not a problem as it’s all sealed inside the building.

I’ve obviously understood it wrong, going by the current problems in Japan, so which bit ?

bullheart
    Free Member

I think that the tsunami knocked out the back-up diesel generators, thus preventing the pumps circulating the water from cooling the rods and potentially starting the meltdown process.

Either way I don’t see this ending well…

rkk01
    Free Member

China syndrome, anyone?

bananaworld
    Free Member

Hmm, doesn’t look very good does it, especially with news reports bandying about the word ‘meltdown’, which isn’t even remotely likely.

Shame about this scaremongering really as, despite being a beardedvegansinglespeedcycliststudent, I’m all for nuclear power (qualifier: as a medium-term alternative to fossil fuel-fired power stations).

Sorry, can’t actually answer your question, but if unlooked for opinions weren’t given at every opportunity, this wouldn’t be Singletrack 😉

zokes
    Free Member

Cue TJ telling us all “Told you so….”

The hysterical media is getting more than a little tiresome.

EDIT: This doesn’t sound too good actually….

So the back up generators have been flooded and the water is no longer circulating.
    The steam pressure rises until a pipe bursts, or more likely, a pressure relief valve opens, the steam escapes in to the much larger volume of the containment building.
    Where’s the problem ?

TheFlyingOx

Look for Boiling Water Reactor on t’internet.

As far as I understand it, nothing’s “going wrong” as it were, apart from the bleeding obvious. There’s a chain of safety measures and each “newsflash” we hear about is just one more step along the chain. They’re depressurising now so they can use the low-pressure cooling system. I think they possibly knew they would have to go this far along the chain quite some time ago, hence the urgent need for coolant that we’ve been hearing about on the news.

iDave
    Free Member

from the Guardian

“7.52am: Japanese media reporting that explosion heard at TEPCO’s Fukushima Daiichi plant around 0630 GMT – more soon”

zokes
    Free Member

From Reuters:

Japan Nuclear Safety Agency: has heard explosion was not at reactor

Phew (maybe)

Trekster

Until the media stops being hysterical we will not know what is happening.
    But the fact is water has wrecked a lot of stuff, water in electrics is not good.Think we all understand that bit.
    The ground has opened up and swallowed whole parts of the country, doubt if it discriminates against a nuclear plant or bedding plants!!
    One thing is certain, Japan and NZ will be rebuilt before Haiti ❗

TheFlyingOx

As far as I understand it, nothing’s “going wrong”

Well damn. You know when you really, really wish you’d been right 🙁

http://live.reuters.com/Event/Japan_earthquake2

Seems #1 is pretty much done for, and #2-#5 are experiencing the same issues but a few hours behind.

iDave
    Free Member

It’s looking pretty **** up

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

BBC is showing footage of what looks like a nuclear powerplant collapsing… maybe exploding.. oh wait a minute they said explosion…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

zokes – Member

Cue TJ telling us all “Told you so….”
    ]
    Told ya so

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Gotta love TJ! Hahahahaaa!

Ewan
    Free Member

Well the news is pretty convinced it’s the reactor that exploded. There’s some before/after film of a big square building, aka the containment building blowing itself to bits. It’s a pressurised water reactor, so if you can’t stick the control rods in or cool it down, I can’t see why it wouldn’t be the reactor that exploded….

Klunk
    Free Member

it looked like a direct hit from a laser guided bomb down the ventilation shaft. the expert on the bbc was still talking about getting the pumps working again, yeah what pumps.

bruneep

Gotta love TJ!

Do we have to?
    😯

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Yes you do! Just don’t push back…

Olly
    Free Member

a so called “melt down” should be impossible, if it isnt, someone is going to have to answer some questions with some damn good answers.

In Chernobyl, the rods were lowered into the reactor, in order to make the heat. when the control systems failed, the weight of the rods, held them in the reactor under gravity, and they could be pulled out.

since chernobyl, its been flipped.

the rods default position (due to gravity mainly) is OUT, not IN.
    the rods have to be actively held into the core, and if anything goes wiggy, they should fall out due to gravity.

a high tech dead mans handle arrangement.

if they pump that moves the water around the reactor has failed, no one is getting power ANYWAY, so they will just shut it down and it will begin to cool.

surely?!

i would IMAGINE, if the station is “gravity fed”, the UN and other such “masters of the universe for the forces of good” are going to have a SHITFIT, though this is just extrapolation.

Drac

Good old beeb

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/sci_nat/05/nuclear_fuel/html/reactor.stm

Reports of the explosion though are still sketchy.

chiefgrooveguru

The fuel rods get hot.
    Water gets circulated around them (the “cooling water” that everyone’s talking about at the moment).
    The water turns to steam and is used to drive a turbine.

The liquid that circulates round the reactor does not turn to gas (it isn’t always water) – it passes through a heat exchanger which transfers the heat to the water which vaporises to drives the turbines.

Olly
    Free Member

and that! Chiefgrooveguru.

any vented steam, wont be radioactive,
    coolant is normally pulled from the sea, and put back into the sea ANYWAY.
    quite often to the distress of the environ-mentalists, as the warmer water means we are getting tropical sealife in the small lagoon off our north sea reactors

its going to be pretty unlikely (fingers crossed) that the heat transfer fluids leak.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

My guess is the secondary coolant system has over-pressurised and exploded because the backup jenny pumps are flooded. It’s a bit radioactive, but not that much to worry about.

The next problem is the primary coolant. The worry is that even with the rods dropped and the reaction slowed right down, the fuel rods warp and melt, dumping pellets on the floor and making the reactor un-recoverable. In essence: Three Mile Island mark II.

I think China Syndrome is where the reactor heat slowly melt through the floor and just keeps going until it hits the mantle.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It’s a bit radioactive, but not that much to worry about.

😯

zokes
    Free Member
    buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Just for you TJ, here’s a picture of a man holding some Uranium and not dying

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

That does look a big bang!

Just for you TJ, here’s a picture of a man holding some Uranium and not dying

and here he is relaxing at home with his children… 😆

lazybike
    Free Member

They need to get Homer in……mmmmm uranium

Klunk
    Free Member

“This is starting to look a lot like Chernobyl” Walt Patterson, an associate fellow with Chatham House, has told the BBC after seeing pictures of the explosion at the Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear plant. “The nuclear agency says that they have detected caesium and iodine outside the unit, which certainly indicates fuel melting at the very least,” he says. “Once you have melting fuel coming into contact with water, that would almost certainly be the cause of the explosion.”

cheshirecat
    Free Member

The man is holding unused fuel pellets – not especially dangerous. They make these just down the road from me, and I’m not worried. Once the uranium is in a reactor and the chain reaction starts, you get lots of nasty fission products – these are very radioactive, hence all the fuss about storage of spent fuel rods we’re having at the moment – highly radioactive for thousands of years.

Edit: I do wonder about the wisdom of putting lots of nuclear reactors in a highly active earthquake zone.

allthegear
    Free Member

Just heard an “expert” on the Beeb talking about how they have shutdown the fusion reaction…

Err – maybe he meant fission????

Rachel

bananaworld
    Free Member

they have shutdown the fusion reaction

Their secret’s out!

Joking aside, this situation, as reported by STW (I can’t get any usful websites as I’m at work), sounds properly awful. Keep us posted, gang.

tonyplym
    Free Member

Outer building shell is usually designed to “fail” before the really important containment stuff inside is put at risk of damage – the big outside building is primarily there to keep the weather away from the electrical/mechanical stuff inside of the building. Blast looked to be gas-driven – a high velocity flash of burning gas (hydrogen ?), then lots of dust and debris as the building shell disintegrates, but then no flame or smoke (so little or no fire).

Flaperon

I suspect that the leaking gas is marginally radioactive; but certainly no more a threat than the several thousand nuclear weapons the rest of the world has tested over the last 65 years.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Analysts say a meltdown would not necessarily lead to a major disaster because light-water reactors would not explode even if they overheated.

But Walt Patterson, of the London research institute Chatham House, said “this is starting to look a lot like Chernobyl”.

This Walt Patterson not a fan of the Nuclear Industry really

Olly
    Free Member

“this is starting to look a lot like Chernobyl”.

no Walt, not really

RustySpanner

“this is starting to look a lot like Chernobyl”.

no Walt, not really

OK, Three Mile Island then?

Olly
    Free Member

yep, more likely to be more accurate by the looks of things, but 3 mile island didnt develop into chernobyl, and i doubt this will/can too.

j_me
    Free Member

China syndrome, anyone?

China will be fine. South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands are pretty much toast though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 1,150 total)

The topic ‘Beginners guide to nuclear power stations ?’ is closed to new replies.