Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bearing removal, OMG, WT* etc etc
  • trailmonkey

I’m trying to remove the cartridge bearings from my ( Hemlock ) rocker plates. Reccomended process of brute force involving chisels, screwdrivers and hammers, does not encourage the cases to budge. 👿

Any tips ?

snaps
    Free Member

Not done a Cotic but on a mates Trek the other day we made a puller from some studding, nuts & a 21mm deep socket – If they’re knackered you can damage them getting them out & then use them to push the new ones in.
    Did you get my email address I sent you re the Verb trip?

richc
    Free Member

If all else fails you could try a LBS

AndyPaice
    Free Member

you have got the rocker arm sat on something solid haven’t you? If the rocker arm is moving when you hit the bearing it will go nowhere. A puller using threaded bar and sockets/washers is the easiest way

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

If all else fails you could try a LBS

that would be a humiliating admission of defeat 🙁

richc
    Free Member

true, but if its a case of a bit of pisstake at the LBS or shelling out £100 for new rocker arms, I know what I would do.

jojoA1
    Free Member

And I know who his LBS mechanic is… I wouldn’t… 😉

v10
    Free Member

You can usually make a little puller out of parts in your bits box.

20mm 1″1/8th headset spacer
    Headset top cap
    Long top cap bolt (usually get them with avid post mount brake bolts)
    A bolt and a few washers for the bearing side.

oh and a 5mm allen key to turn it with 🙂

nickc

I like v10’s little puller, that’s about the best bodge one I’ve read about.

coffeeking
    Free Member

If all the bearings are shot just put your rocker arms in the oven set to 100c (lowest gas setting) and have your same kit (and a heatproof glove) handy when you get them out in 10 minutes.

(Assuming they’re anodised and not painted, paint may be damaged).

trailmonkey

Thanks all. Salvation is about to arrive in the shape of a strong vice and two socket spanners, one to push, one on the other side to receive.

Mark, I will get around to sending you the Verbier details some time before the weekend.

Del

as above it does need to be on something pretty solid. as an example i couldn’t knock out cart bearings from hubs on my garden bench, but i can on my work bench. a thick bit of flat wood, with a hole drilled in it, big enough to allow the bearing to pass would allow you to **** it pretty much anywhere, including the garden path if needs be.

failing that Jim will have a brass widget for doing it in a far more calm and relaxed manner, in fact the old bearing will probably make him a cup of tea after…
    nowt that can’t be fixed mate but i know how frustrating it can be. 🙂
    good luck.

trailmonkey

in fact the old bearing will probably make him a cup of tea after…

😆

I’m off to see the man right now. It’s his vice/socket solution

MRanger156
    Free Member

Socket set and a vice. Don’t be shy with the mallet and WD40 though!

boobs

If you use a socket make sure the new bearing will fit inside. A 12 point socket has more room than a 6 point one. Nothing worse than pushing the bearing onto rather than into a socket.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bearing removal, OMG, WT* etc etc’ is closed to new replies.