Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Bear with me, sram 11 speed issues
  • crispy1980
    Free Member

Right, I’ve currently got a sram x1 11speed derailleur / shifter set up. Its on a boost frame but using a none boost hope rear wheel with a hope boost adaptor kit. Now this leaves the cassette 3mm further in that it should be. I am however, using a non boost chainring as well so chain line should be unaffected. The problem I’m having is getting a smooth shift onto biggest cog. It’s almost like the derailleur is right at its limit and although it does shift onto it, it isn’t quite in line and akways sounds like it might drop at any minute. I’d have thought there should be enough movement to make up the extra 3mm, after all, badly adjusted on the old non boost frame it would take the chain straight past and into the wheel.
    The derailleur is 5 years old and the cage does look a little twisted tbh. Could this be it? Also, could I run a 12 speed derailleur with the 11 speed shifter? Thinking if I need a new one I might as well get 12 speed?
    Other option is a boost rear wheel but that’s an expensive fix. Cheers, chris

mudfish

I think adapting a wheel to boost that way is mad. A real noise wheel has the cassette in the “normal” position. The extra “space” is on the non drive side

Wolftooth boostinator HR is what’s needed to do it “right”. All the added space is on the left. Yeah you have to re-dish but it actually improves the dish of the wheel. It’s less that a full turn on each spoke. Easy.

I think Hope did it like that to save re-dishing. I’d rather have the cassette where it should be.

Should you buy a boost wheel eventually andxwant to use the old one too, then the two will be interchangeable. Disc and cassette in the same place.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Silly question is it a sram or shimano cassette? Mine won’t shift onto the big cog on a shimano cassette “boosted” like that, but will on an XD.

If I recall shimano 11sp dished the cassette over the spokes in order to make do with the old hg standard so makes a bit of sense I guess

crispy1980
    Free Member

It is a sram, have had it working pretty well at one point, but seems like it’s a aways at maximum tension.

oldnpastit

I have the same bodged boost setup but with shimano xt mech and cassette. It works fine but you can see it’s pushing it to the limit.

crispy1980
    Free Member

Yeah, not sure what to do now. Had a good look and it also seems like my mech is twisted, which obvs isn’t helping

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Bear with me, sram 11 speed issues’ is closed to new replies.