Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Beans and Sausages – Impressive & Easy recipe
  • bentandbroken

I need a recipe that contains these two ingredients.

Back story is that the running joke in our household is that all mini-me can cook is beans and sausages and Nutella on toast

I/he need some brownie points and cooking to a menu item of beans and sausages will lower expectations before the big reveal 😉

Can anyone share any recipes that they have used/like? NB I have found a few on BBC Goodfood etc, but personal favourites (especially easy ones) would be gratefully received

TIA!

hols2
    Free Member

Boil ingredients until they’re soggy. Add salt and pepper to taste.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Fava Beans, Liver Sausages, and a nice Chianti?

bodgy
    Free Member

Spicy bean and sausage stew, from the River Cottage Family Cookbook.

Slightly weird link to the recipe

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Can’t beat a smoky sausage and bean casserole if they’re your primary ingredients. Cook a tomatoey sauce with chilli type herbs and spices, maybe a bit extra smoky paprika, little less heat. Use butter beans, chickpeas and/or borlotti beans. Brown sausages and slice into a few pieces each, add some beef or pork stock (those Knorr stock pots are handy for this bit), top with a few layers of thinly sliced spuds hot-pot style and pop in the oven. Few knobs of butter over the spuds towards the end and a bit of cheese mixed with breadcrumbs. Bosh.

rogermoore

I’ve used the recipe on the below page (about 1/3rd down) for years, a firm favourite!

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2007/sep/23/foodanddrink.features5

RM.

bodgy
    Free Member

^^ That’s supper sorted, then. I’ll try that, RM.

chakaping
    Free Member

I often make sausage stew.

Chop and fry onion, pop into casserole dish.

Fry sausages for a couple of minutes, add to dish.

Chop some carrot, spuds, swede, parsnip, whatever and add to dish

Add half or whole tin of beans

Add some cabbage or brussels, chopped

Add a bit of chili, sandwich pickle, two bay leaves and some chopped sage or dried mixed herbs

Top up with bouillon, and a good glug of red wine if you have any open

Cook for about 4hrs at 160ish, pausing to snip sausages up and add a knob of butter after about 1.5hrs

Serve with crusty bread. The stew gets nicer after a day or two in the fridge BTW.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Hairy Bikers Sausage casserole is a favourite in our house.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Peel sausages and roll in flour (lightly spiced ones are best), lightly fry in an ovenable pan until browned [with rough chopped smoked streaky bacon if inclined] (Tiny bit of fat to stop sticking, lots will come from sausages)

Remove sausages (and bacon)

Add grated or finely diced carrot fry for a minute or two, add rough chopped celery and onions, fry till golden.

Add tin of good chopped tomatoes (tinned cherry toms are nice), pasata, tin of beans (butter beans personaly but Heinz will work just fine), oregano, pinch of cayenne and a table spoon or so of good olive oil (don’t use crap stuff, if it’s just normal supermarket type you’ve got, skip this, it’ll make it greasy and either burn or add no flavour) Stir well.

(At this point I’d add a big glass of red wine, or a good full body dark beer, not sure if you wish to do so with junior)

Return sausages (and bacon) to pan bring to a low simmer then cover and transfer to oven.

Go out for bike ride in the cold and wet.

Return.

Move pan to hob and simmer uncovered to achieve desired thickness.

Serve with great hunks of crusty bread and butter. (Or cheese on toast)

perchypanther
    Free Member

Chili dogs?

Drac

That sounds good dangerourbrain, I’d not worry about the beer and wine as there’ll be no alcohol left.

bentandbroken

there are some great ones in so far and two have definitely caught my eye – thanks all 🙂

Any alternative ideas as most so far are stew/casserole based? Any Rice/Paella/risotto favourites out there?

DezB
    Free Member

Image result for sausage casserole mix

😀

Klunk
    Free Member

heat beans in pan, nuke last nights sausages in the microwave plonk both on some toast and butter drizzle over some blue dragon sweet chilli sauce. Enjoy

bentandbroken

That packet mix is going in to the shopping basket as Plan B in case we have a culinary fail 😀

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Drac – fun sponge

That sounds good dangerourbrain, I’d not worry about the beer and wine as there’ll be no alcohol left

A) it’s for flavour

B) why do you think you only add a large glass, not a whole bottle?

maccruiskeen

Any alternative ideas as most so far are stew/casserole based?

Any can of beans*

fry some garlic, fresh red chilli, thyme and/or rosemary in a bit of oil. Don’t let the garlic brown and go bitter. Chuck a bit of the liquid from the tin beans in to halt the frying if you see the garlic starting to brown

Add a can of beans

cook through

add a glug of red wine vinegar when ready to serve

* cannelini, borlotti, pinto all work well if you leave a little bit of the liquid from the tin and cook  a bit of a mush – cannelini hold their shape texture more than the others. Flagolet beans work if you leave nearly all the liquid in and makes a nice creamy/saucy dish. Butterbeans or cans of 3 or 5 mixed beans (not with sweetcorn in though) work well if you drain completely – they kind of pop and go crispy. If you’re doing that use a frying pan so you can spread the beans our a bit, for the other options a small saucepan is better

Serve with sausages cooked any way you like – could be nice with toad in the hole. Theres a Jamie Oliver receipe for that where the batter goes mental.

DezB
    Free Member

where the batter goes mental.

That’s my favourite phrase of the day.

Drac

A) it’s for flavour

B) why do you think you only add a large glass, not a whole bottle?

Errr! I know that why are you asking me that?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

slaters white beans and sausages is the shizz.  please excuse the slaterisms but its copy pasted from the Grauniad

A rich and heart-warming supper for a cool night. It needn’t be butter beans – haricot or black-eyed peas will work here, too. I tend to go for a fairly plain pork sausage, just a plump, good-quality butcher’s banger, but a slightly garlicky one might work as well. Serves 4.

3 medium-sized onions, peeled

2 tbsp olive oil

3 large cloves of garlic

2 small pinches of fennel seed

2 bay leaves8 thick, nicely seasoned pork sausages

1 x 500g tomato passata

2 tbsp grain mustard
    3 x 400g cans butter beans

Peel the onions, cut them in half, then cut each half into 6 or so thick segments. Warm the olive oil in a casserole over a low to moderate heat. Put the onions in the pan and leave them to colour lightly, stirring from time to time so that they don’t stick or burn.

While the onions are cooking, peel and finely slice the garlic and add it to the onions with the fennel seeds and the bay leaves. Push the mixture to one side of the pan (if your pan is on the small side, then remove the onions and return them later).

Put the sausages into the pan and lightly brown them on all sides. Mix them with the onions (if you removed the onions, return them to the pan now), then pour in the tomato passata, 125ml water and half the mustard. Let the sauce simmer for a few minutes, seasoning with salt and coarse black pepper – I think you should be generous with the pepper.

Drain the beans and add them to the sauce, season with salt and black pepper, and simmer the mixture gently for 20-25 minutes. It is ready when the sausages are fully cooked and much of the liquid has evaporated. Stir in the second spoonful of mustard and continue to simmer for a minute or two, remembering that mustard loses its interest if cooked for too long

slowoldman

Some nice Italian pork and fennel sausages with Puy lentils.

jonba
    Free Member

Some sort of bodged cassoulet

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pork-recipes/quick-time-sausage-cassoulet/

This is probably as close a resemblence to cassoulet as the infamous chorizo containing paella. It isn’t authentic but it is nice.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Sorry Drac, i took you at your unintended word as i missed the conotation you’d not worry about alcohol in junior’s food, rather i read it to mean there’s no point adding it since the booze will all cook off.

maccruiskeen

Drac’s all about the boozy food- I’m a big fan of his ‘Cocktail Sausage Cocktail’ recipe.

Drac

Especially in the hole Maccruiskeen.

Thanks for your apology Danger maybe I wasn’t clear enough.

maccruiskeen

timmys

The top one here is bloody lush but possibly stretching the definition of a sausage and bean dish.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/jul/04/20-best-mediterranean-recipes-part-2-ofm-sicilian-fish-spanish-soup-giorgio-locatelli-anissa-helou

For bonus points you can listen to this on a loop when cooking/serving;

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

maccruiskeen

Its all in the presentation though Dunc. The OP asked for easy and impressive.

gerti
    Free Member
    bentandbroken

Update! The Hairy Bikers recipe hit the spot in many ways. Thanks everyone 🙂

z1ppy

Better half had this ready for me after a weekends biking, bloody lovely.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1940681/sausage-and-bean-casserole-

We’ve done the hairy bikers one too, it good, but that ^^^ was better (it’s got choirzo in, so it wasn’t a fair fight)

DOH! Too slow

trailwagger
    Free Member

Update! The Hairy Bikers recipe hit the spot in many ways. Thanks everyone 🙂

glad you liked it, made it again on Friday after this thread reminded me how nice it was.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Beans and Sausages – Impressive & Easy recipe’ is closed to new replies.