Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • BC Bike Race 2022 – new course.
  • shortcut

I’m going to do BC Bike Race (again) this year. I’d been wondering whether anyone here was interested, curious or indeed booked and going.
    The course, that for this year, has just been announced looks like it should be really good, having ridden in the area as part of the 2021 edition of BC Bike Race it is great to see almost a return to more locations, bigger days and increasingly challenging trails. Last year was great fun, and running primarily out of Penticton 3 hours east of Vancouver
    With the race including 6 full days of racing (usually around 40km and this year over and sometimes well over 1,100m of ascent/descent) and a prologue there should be enough to see the fittest ripping it up at the front and the rest of us getting around in various states of knackered but getting around safely and largely without significant incident and in time to enjoy a free beer or two at the end.
    Is anybody else signed up or interested?
    https://bcbikerace.com/the-journey/the-stages/additional-course-info/#

markgraylish
    Free Member

I’m not interested in BCBR per se, but, looking at the route maps I’ve ridden all of those areas except Apex.

Completely different to the “traditional” North Shore/Sunshine Coast/Vancouver Island trails used in past BCBR.

The Okanagan is much drier (and hotter) so you won’t be dealing with slick roots, generally the trails are MUCH less technical and more open/flowy/fun/fast thru wider spaced trees.

Beowulf in Silverstar is a BEAST of a climb, though their marketing people get somewhat carried away with the signage and warnings. IIRC correctly, there’s ominous warning signs about 1800m of climbing whereas my Garmin clocked around 900m!

(Edit: even worse at overstating the climb! https://strava.app.link/zMsGH5RI4nb)

bullandbladder
    Free Member

I’m certainly interested! Did it 2017 and would love to go back, but it’s not on the cards in the foreseeable ☹️

markgraylish
    Free Member

True story: I’ve seen many more bears during occasional visits to the Oakangan than 15 years living on the North Shore of Vancouver…😉

sweaman2
    Free Member

I did BCBR in it’s “old format” and I just can’t excited about the new format. For me the big attraction was doing stuff that would be tough to do solo – so the point to point format where they took care of all the logistics was a real enticement. Not including transport or accommodation means a ton of extra hassle / sorting at my end and if I’m going to the effort of organizing all of that I’m not sure I see the point of being in a “race” as such.

This now looks very similar to Singletrack 6 which (I think) has struggled for participation since they also switched formats.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘BC Bike Race 2022 – new course.’ is closed to new replies.