Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • BB7 road vs BB7 mtb
  • ibnchris

I’ve had a sort of monster cross thing going for a while but ready to return to flat bar now. Just how bad will it be to just replace my drops with Mtb levers but using BB7 road callipers? I’ve done it and it seems to work but wondering if it’s dangerous?

ajantom

Not dangerous, but they’re designed for different lever pull, so will probably feel s bit crap.

What you need are canti levers, or something that’s adjustable like an Avid Speed Dial.

pdw
    Free Member

If you’re happy with the brake feel then crack on. You’ll have less power and a firmer feel to the brakes. In some ways it may be better as they should need less frequent adjustment for pad wear.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Had one like that, just slightly different.
    BB7 road with Tektro drop bars levers for long pull brakes.
    I loved it a lot.
    My set of BB7 road always suffered with overly long lever throw whilst paired with road pull levers.
    Once changed it gave my very nice, short throw feel. Just gave regulating barrel few turns to make it more modulation space and I was happy as Larry 😁
    Cheers!
    I.

ibnchris

Thanks all. Part of tue reason for the ‘dangerous’ question is because I’m probably going to long term lend it to a mate who is need of a bike to ferry his kids but can’t afford one. So don’t want to cause him an accident!

ibnchris
    ajantom

Bargain! The retro tax is strong with that one 😆

breadcrumb

I believe a trick was to use road BB7s with MTB levers to give more clearance for the pads when riding in horrible conditions, eg. the Strathpuffer.

I think the other way round would be sketchy, MTB BB7s with road pull levers..

Dickyboy

@ibnchris I’ve a pair of shimano canti levers you can have if you want.

ibnchris

Thanks Dicky boy – will PM you

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘BB7 road vs BB7 mtb’ is closed to new replies.