Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • BB Removal easy or not
  • pendlechris
    Free Member

Had a noise from that area, today its gone worse, do I buy the tools needed and have a shot at it myself or take to shop, if so what are the tools I need, is it 8mm allen key, crank removal tool, what else would I need. Would I also be better replacing it or good clean grease etc and see how it is, its been in from new about 20 months.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

it depends what sort of BB

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Easy if the threads are not seized. You need the appropriate tool to undo the BB which depends on what type of BB it is. One side is a reverse thread and I can never remeber which side it is. Most modern bbs are not serviceable – throw it away and get a new one unless you can replace the bearings in it.

snaps
    Free Member

Square taper, ISIS or HT?

pendlechris
    Free Member

Shimano BB-UN-26E73/113mm bb.

This is the one, would you upgrade it, if so what to?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

crank puller to remove cranks (quite easy)
    BB tool for BB (dead easy to almost impossible) – I’m always reading about people with seized BBs, but mine have always come undone easily. One side is a left hand thread but I always forget which.

UN26 is sq. taper, currently £5.50, why pay more ?

pendlechris
    Free Member

Cheers everyone, is there no point upgrading on these, What are the benefits?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

What are the benefits?

beats the hell out of me…

dr_adams
    Free Member

Square taper are more an old style with the newr isis, octalink or HT styles, the idea is that the newer styles have more contact points to spread the stresses on the crank arms, allowing lighter arms and the like, you can still get squaer taper and they do a good job (was the standard for many years) if you wanted to upgrade to one of the other types then you would have to change your chainset (£££) there are going to be different levels of square taper, tho not as many as their once was, they might be different due to bearing types(sealed, cartridge, loose) but generally i would say stick with it for the price and maybe if you get to the point of thinking of changing your chainset, then might be the point to considr upgrading..

muddy_fox
    Free Member

stick with what you have already got

DezB
    Free Member

As long as the square taper cranks haven’t been overtightened onto the axle, you’ll be ok to go with the same BB again. If they have, you’ll never get the buggers to stay put

Del

point to note – usually the tool needs to be turned by a large spanner/adjustable. it is MUCH easier to undo a bb with a tube ( 1m length or more ) over the end of the spanner for leverage. when you fit teh new one just use the length of the spanner.

soobalias
    Free Member

dependant on the noise you are getting, the BB may just need a little tightening up

@ 20months i suspect its on its way out.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘BB Removal easy or not’ is closed to new replies.