Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • BB refusing to move out even with the threat of a sledge hammer
  • blader1611
    Free Member

I have a Scott CR1 and i need to change the pressfit BB but for the life of me i cant budge it? I have a drift (rocket type) which sits neatly against bearing and i have given it several fairly big whacks with a hammer and its not moved at all. I have given it an almighty whack which was way above my comfort zone for carbon fibre and still it wont move. So question is am i still hitting it too lightly or have i forgotten to do something? I have read that one person ended up having to cut his out so is it a tight fit,glued or just stubborn? Any recommendations?

epicyclo

Now what was the problem with threaded BB shells again?… 🙂

(Apart from some junk quality BBs, that is)

drlex
    Free Member

There’s a humongous thread over on BR about the CR1 SL, if it’s the same frame- Link-ho!

blader1611
    Free Member

Drlex – i have posted on there as well.

I hate pressfit, HT2 for me is the best but this passion for pressfit by manufacturers has to stop.

drlex
    Free Member

Ah – didn’t check the last page. FWIW, don’t expect much traffic there until Tuesday, by which time you may have an answer here.

scrumfled
    Free Member

It wont…. all the time you buy bikes with pressfit BB, they will carry on doing them. they’re cheaper for the manufacturer.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It wont…. all the time you buy bikes with pressfit BB, they will carry on doing them. they’re cheaper for the manufacturer.

Not necessarily, Specialized seem to be moving back to threaded shells. Santa Cruz never went press fit, and plenty of other brands releasing new models with threaded BB’s.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Pressfit must die 😈

Not tried to get one out, but if it’s like a headset, it may require some crazy whacking on the tool. Last time I did that with a headset I ended up with a dent in the wall when it became a projectile. Not comfortable doing it with carbon. With headsets I’d just leave the cups in and get new bearings. Is that possible with pressfit BBs? Though I get the impression people need to remove them frequently and refit to sort out creaking. Judging by friends who keep taking their bikes to the shop to do just that.

matt_outandabout

One of the reasons I bought my Marin was it had threaded bb….

bwakel
    Free Member

I had the same problem with my BB30 equipped carbon Cannondale. I have fixed the problem now. I was hitting the BB removal tool as hard as I could and the bearings didn’t budge. What was happening was the frame was flexing and absorbing the hit. I wedged a piece of 2×2 wood between the BB/chainstay intersection and a wall so the frame couldn’t flex at all and a firm but far less frenetic tap knocked the bearing out first go.

scaredypants

Yeh, ^ that

I hold the frame with the tool against the cup and sticking out downwards and then use the frame to bang the and of the tool down on a hard (non-crackable!) surface

Works well but bear in mind that the cup will fly out towards your face so you need to capture it by covering the exit hole with and old t-shirt or something

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘BB refusing to move out even with the threat of a sledge hammer’ is closed to new replies.