• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • BB – Race face alternative & tools
  • proofof
    Free Member

I have a 73mm Race Face bottom bracket that needs replacing, and would like to try something else given how quickly it’s gone and reading about others being the same.

Trying to avoid buying a Race face BB specific removal tool knowing I’d unlikely use it again, and having to get a SRAM one or similar for the new one.

Or is it less hassle to just stick with the Race face one?

dcwhite1984
    Free Member

I have just replaced my old RaceFace BB with a Nukeproof Horizon from CRC/Wiggle, feels better quality than the Raceface one, ive only had a couple of rides on it so time will tell on the longevity but so far so good.

More expensive than RF but not as much as Hope.

jimmy748

To remove the Raceface one just use a good set of water pump pliers with a bit of rag around the bottom bracket

whitestone
    Free Member

Since the BB is toast anything (non-impact) that can turn it will be fine. Then just get any HT2 BB that uses the standard/original sized shell and get the tool for that.

Do SRAM still do a 24mm spindle BB or have they stopped everything and gone to DUB? (DUB = YASFS)

mboy
    Free Member

Do SRAM still do a 24mm spindle BB or have they stopped everything and gone to DUB?

SRAM GXP was only ever 24mm on the drive side… Non drive side was always 22mm.

But yes, they’ve gone DUB for everything now.

I have a 73mm Race Face bottom bracket that needs replacing

What Crank axle does it take? If it’s a 24mm straight axle, like some Raceface are, then it’ll take anything that fits Shimano HT2. If it’s 30mm like the more expensive Raceface cranks are, then your options are a bit more limited, but they do exist. FWIW, if it’s the 30mm variety, you can get some 6806-2RS bearings from a bearing supplier and if you’re careful, knock the old ones out and press the new ones in to save you quite a bit of money…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘BB – Race face alternative & tools’ is closed to new replies.