Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 180 total)
  • Bassists of Singletrackworld….
  • Premier Icon Edukator
    Free Member

I prefer short scale, and happily the Fender/Squier offerings have a P pickup in the middle and a jazz pickup at the bridge. The Squier Jaguar has the neck joint at 15 and the Fender Mustang at 14 so that’s a point in favour of the Jaguar. And I prefer the Jaguar neck which is a thin C. If an Epiphone EB-0 comes up second-hand locally I’ll try one.

Premier Icon hatter

Tonally the P attitude is more my thing, it’s so much more of a sledgehammer.

Yeah, that, I’ve never been the most subtle of creatures and the P just fits better in my meaty paws bashing out Punk and Hardcore lines. Much happier on the Roundwounds with a bit of overdrive blended in via my Sansamp.

Working on Mystery by Turnstile ATM.

Premier Icon oldtennisshoes

Interesting piece that 👆
    As a beginner, I’m trying a bit of everything, J, P and short scale, but maybe I’d improve quicker by sticking with one? 🤔

Premier Icon chiefgrooveguru
    Free Member

“As a beginner, I’m trying a bit of everything, J, P and short scale, but maybe I’d improve quicker by sticking with one? 🤔”

I think until you’re confident with your technique then it’s probably easier to stick with very similar dimensioned basses – string spacing at the bridge being the key thing. But the most important thing is to play lots! Playing through gear with more clarity (single coils vs big humbuckers, headphones or fancy full-range cabs vs old 15″ speakers etc) tends to force you to tidy up your playing more quickly and also shows you the expressive potential of a bass guitar (it’s very much like a bigger guitar!)

But as it isn’t a competition and there is no destination, just stops along an endless journey, then I’d enjoy the journey however you prefer.

Premier Icon sharkattack
    Free Member

I’m just coming here to post this morning’s find…

http://www.espguitars.com/products/26337-surveyor-87

It’s ridiculous and I love it. I might be buying my own Christmas present this year! I’ve never really looked at ESP before but they’ve got some very nice PJ style guitars on their website.

In other news… 5 month old mini-me has finally accepted that his 7pm bed time is not flexible and he’s passing out pretty consistently every night so I’ve started playing again. The new Squier P sounds lush and I’ve been really grilling it, trying to get some speed and accuracy back. It’s amazing how much I dropped off the pace by not playing for a few months. Well, since June the 6th exactly. I found it impossible to do anything for a while there!

There’s a studio/practice room set up near me which offers lessons. They’ve been shut for ages but I’ve made an enquiry. I want to play somewhere other than the living room and hopefully try playing with some real people.

Wow, that ESP looks interesting.
    Not in the same league, but the Musicman Dark Ray is also shaking things up with the leds around the knobs. Definitely a bit ying to the pre-aged yang.

Premier Icon Coyote
    Free Member

So, been noodling round on my old BC Rich but never massively got on with it, it’s been kept mainly for sentimental reasons. Been looking at PMTs online store and quite fancy either one of the entry level Ibanez GSR200B (£199) or the Hofner Ignition violin base (£289). Don’t want to spend too much and both guitars get rave reviews. Edging towards the Ibanez. Anyone got direct experience they can share or a recommendation around the £250 mark?

I’m not a fan of the violin basses.
    For that price you’ll struggle to beat a Squire Affinity but I’d flex the budget if I could for a Yamaha TRBX304.

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/yamaha-trbx304-4-string-bass-guitar-factory-blue

Premier Icon hatter

That ESP looks mental, love it, not a fan of the ‘relic’ed’ look, (unless it’s an actual vintage instrument).

Premier Icon mudmuncher
    Free Member

You won’t go wrong with a budget Yamaha, either the trbx304 or the BB234. I personally prefer the tone of the BBs but there are plenty of sound clips on YouTube

Premier Icon Coyote
    Free Member

Thanks for the recommendations but I would really like to keep the spend south of £250. No thoughts on the Ibanez?

Premier Icon Edukator
    Free Member

I haven’t played either. It’s an odd short list in that they are at opposite ends of the spectrum. A violin short scale and a plank long scale. I think trying a few would be a good idea to narrow it down. Of the two I’d take the Hofner because I like short scale and I quite like the bass sound on Beatles recordings.

Premier Icon Scapegoat

The Ibanez are meant to be very good value for money, but you could do with getting a feel for various different types before you buy. Can you get yourself into a PMT store? I found them very accommodating and helpful. At your budget you can’t really go wrong with a Yamaha as said above, or a Squier. Depends what you want to play of course, although anyone that tells you you need a specific bass type to play specific genres is either inflexible or looking for an excuse to buy more basses ….

Premier Icon Scapegoat

@hatter

Did you fall in love with your mate’s USA Jazz bass, or decide it wasn’t for you?

Asking for a friend who MAY be in the market for a USA Jazz at the right sort of price if he wants to shift it on……

Premier Icon hatter

It’s gone back to him now, if it was a P or a PJ I’d be working out which child to list on Ebay but yeah the thinner neck wasn’t for me.

I’ll ask him what his plans are, where’s your mate based? We’re down in St Albans.

Premier Icon mudmuncher
    Free Member

Thanks for the recommendations but I would really like to keep the spend south of £250. No thoughts on the Ibanez?

Ibanez are pretty good. I had a higher end one that played really well but didn’t get on with the thin tone on the D/G string. There are a few places doing the TRBX174 under £200 and that would probably be my first choice at your budget.

Premier Icon sharkattack
    Free Member

Who wants to see some Squier build quality?

A few days after I got the new P bass I noticed that the scratch plate wasn’t sitting flush. Once I saw it, it started really bugging me! Also when holding it up to the light you could see loads of unidentified crumbs and scum in the gap.

Last night I had a chance to whip it off.

This is what I found…

Wires outside of the recess, squashed by the plate and sitting (luckily) either side of the screw that was holding it down.

Also the whole thing underneath was full of paint spray and saw dust which I’ve cleaned out.

So yes, quite nice for the money, but still thrown together on a production line by people who would much rather be doing something else.

Thanks for those setup videos up above, I’m planning to go through the process when I get the time. Some of the new string zing has worn off but it’s still rattling like hell.

Dagan likes the Ibanez

Premier Icon Edukator
    Free Member

Dagan likes everything. 😉

Here’s his previous cheap bass vid.
    PMT cheap bass vid 1
    I bought the Squier vintage modified Jaguar before seeing the vid. I went into the shop to buy a Fender Mustang but prefered the Squier. Try before you buy. Mine is on page 2 of this thread.

Premier Icon Scapegoat

I’ll ask him what his plans are, where’s your mate based? We’re down in St Albans.

West Yorks, but sufficiently mobile for the right deal!

I needed a 5 string for various bits of accompaniment work and got a Squier 70s classic vibe Jazz V …… takes some getting used to, but the quality isn’t an issue. It’s made in Indonesia if that’s any statement?

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 180 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.