Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Baselayers
  • pipiom
    Free Member

I need some new baselayers, anyone got experience of the tight “form hugging” ones with baggies etc.
    I.e. HH or Underarmour etc

I’ve always had the loose ones and they do get soggy and cold at times, but just wanted opinions

andyt1054
    Free Member

I used Helly Hanson baselayers for years distance running, however now I much prefer the modern Under Armour versions. They are super comfortable for both running, road and MTB rides.

iainc

Wiggle own brand DHB ones are my current goto baselayers

pipiom
    Free Member

Are they the tight or the loose ones Andy/Ian?

mcnultycop

Polaris for me, always pick one up in their sale so I have probably two short and two long sleeve. Great quality.

iainc

pipiom – Member
    Are they the tight or the loose ones Andy/Ian?

the DHB ones are fairly tight fitting, not like a compression top, but snug. They are true to size.

lunge

Decathlon as ever. I wear their football base layers as they’re the same but cheaper than the cycling version. Tight fitting and available in different weights for different conditions.

pipiom
    Free Member

And tight or compression is ok for MTB/Baggy tops ?

lunge

And tight or compression is ok for MTB/Baggy tops ?

Err, yeah, they just sit underneath doing their thing. They’re generally much better when tight fitting than a baggier layer.

pipiom
    Free Member

Cheers guys, currently browsing Wiggle. Decision imminent.

trailwagger
    Free Member

+1 for Decathlon. I bought base layers from there 10+ years ago and they are still good. Cheap too.

jam-bo

what are those norwegian(?) string vest alikes called? as a sweaty bastard quite tempted to try one of those this winter. I’m done with cold, clammy merino.

allfankledup

+1 Decathlon – BTwin or Kipsta.

oikeith

Thought for the OP, if your finding them soggy and cold maybe its not cold enough yet to warrant wearing one and your sweating it out? maybe a thin jacket you could carry and put on when needed would help you keep warm when you stop and feel the cold?

I run really warm and wear only a tshirt until my car temp gauge says 5degress or less outside, then ill chuck on a short sleeve thermal base layer which is snug but not tight. The exception is if wet, ill chuck a jacket on instead of baselayer.

The ones I use are from Sports Direct and are 2 for £7 usually. I have an expensive underarmour one which is a tight fit and wouldn’t rate it as any better then the SD ones.

joebristol

Isn’t Merino an expensive and bad solution for a sports baselayer?

I’ve used mostly Nike baselayers for about thre last 10 years. If it’s cold I’ve used the pro combat ones and if it’s not that cold but nippy out I’ve used the thinner summer ones. Always get the ones with the raised collar bit round the neck as they are much more useful than just a round neck.

They’ve been washed to death but are still going ok.

The winter just gone I bought an under armour base layer that seems a little bit thicker than the Nike ones. Seems much of a muchness really – got the under armour one in a sale so the same cost as a Nike one.

Unless I’ve got really fat the Nike sizes have got smaller though since the last ones I bought.

FYI all of them are compression base layers – I don’t want some baggy thing hanging limply off me under another layer.

hairylegs
    Free Member

jam bo – Member

what are those norwegian(?) string vest alikes called? as a sweaty bastard quite tempted to try one of those this winter. I’m done with cold, clammy merino.

Absolutely brilliant. See “3. Ultimate Comfort base” in the article linked below:

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/page.php?id=6903

I use mine pretty much year round

https://www.nordiclife.co.uk/collections/brynje/products/brynje-super-micro-t-shirt

fifeandy
    Free Member

What exactly is a loose fitting base layer? Whatever it is you can be certain its not going to be doing its job.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Isn’t Merino an expensive and bad solution for a sports baselayer?

Not sure of the science involed, but i’ve always hated the Polyester / Nylon ones, I always freeze in them. I love my Howies base layers, bought cheap at one of their pop-up shops 2008 – one is still like new, the long sleve is showing some signs of use now which is a shame.

They’re bloody lovely to wear on or off the bike.

BillOddie

I’ve used the Under Armour Compression tops both in Heat and Cold variants and found them to be ace.

I’m similarly impressed with their compression shorts for gym work.

Gary_M
    Free Member

what exactly is a loose fitting base layer? Whatever it is you can be certain its not going to be doing its job.

A t-shirt, at least that’s what I wear howies and finisterre merino base layers as.

When a base layer is needed I generally wear nike/under armour/hh ones

mariner
    Free Member

My Helly Lifa are nearly thirty years old and still work and smell less but could just be me.
    Bamboo from BAM is my go to base layer now.

mcnultycop

Polaris sale, I bought two more yesterday.

sparkyrhino

Nike footie ones for me, got 3 for £7 each at nike discount store a few years back, still wearing well.Wear merino ones for work, non sweaty ativities,much warmer than sythetic ones

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Baselayers’ is closed to new replies.