Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Bar height on slack hardtails/trailbikes for fun???
  • tb927
    Free Member

I know everyone’s a different size/shape etc. but I’ve just got back into riding a lot more after a big break, on a kinda budget build Pace 529. Built like tank, weighs a ton but feels indestructible and fun. Anyway, just wondered, on similar bikes:

Do folks tend to run their bars above, level or below their pedalling around saddle height? Cheers!

mattyfez

say wat now?

ayjaydoubleyou

Level. Pretty much arrived at that point on every flat bar bike I’ve ridden, from rigid xc to big travel fullies.

It will depend on your body proportions though.

intheborders
    Free Member

Do folks tend to run their bars above, level or below their pedalling around saddle height?

Short-person question.

tb927
    Free Member

ha ha, I know what you mean, I’m 6’7″ 🙂

intheborders
    Free Member

Then your saddle will be where it needs to be for pedalling and your (high-rise) bars will have a full set of spacers below them.

And the seat will be above the bars.

chiefgrooveguru

“ Do folks tend to run their bars above, level or below their pedalling around saddle height? Cheers!”

Depends on the reach – longer reach for your height, then higher bars work better.

And the longer your legs (and therefore the higher your hip height) the higher the bars should be – so if you have a long torso but short legs you’ll prefer lower bars to an equal height rider with the opposite proportions. So on those grounds, saddle height is a good reference point.

thols2

I’ve always found roughly level with the saddle is a good all-round position, but it’s really a matter of personal preference and the type of riding you do. If you are more XC oriented, a slightly longer stem and lower bars is normal.

dc1988

I’m on a similar geometry hardtail and am 6’5″, my bars are a touch below my saddle at full height (maybe 1 inch by eye). I have high rise bars, quite a few stem spacers and a stem with some rise.

chakaping
    Free Member

Depends on the reach – longer reach for your height, then higher bars work better.

+1

My bars have got higher as my bikes have got longer.

Trial-and-error is best though, I don’t think anyone has a definitive formula or “right answer”.

tb927
    Free Member

Ta everyone for the helpful thoughts, that’s great, cheers.

chiefgrooveguru

I do really think there is a need for higher rise bars for taller riders. I’m under 6’ yet have 40mm rise bars on both bikes and both have pretty long forks and reasonably long head tubes. Without putting 200mm head tubes on bikes, what do riders who are 6’4”+ with long legs do? Especially if they’re riding shorter travel forks with less A2C length.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Bar height on slack hardtails/trailbikes for fun???’ is closed to new replies.